Options

A Day In London- Things To Do?

scorpio20080scorpio20080 Posts: 2,894
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all, I have an entire day in London end of next month, and I wanted some suggestions/itineraries on touristy things?

What is worth seeing/avoiding? And how to plan the day properly..

Any suggestions welcome, thanks!:)

Comments

• Options
    Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That big house, can't remember the name of it. That rich woman lives there.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amble around Covent Garden and then lunch or dinner at Bistro 1, 33 Southampton Street, just off it. Foods not only cheap, 2 courses for £8.50 or 3 courses £9.90, it‘s amazingly good too.
  • Options
    mocha-lattemocha-latte Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The south bank is interesting where the London eye is and there's always lots going on there..and plenty of places to sit etc and I think it's the Tate that's along there too, we've often spent most of the day on the south bank in summer, but we live only an hour or so away.. You have all the usual places and a trip on the open top bus worth a thought .. Have a great day x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't you know how to use the search function. There are dozens of threads:confused:
  • Options
    Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Don't you know how to use the search function. There are dozens of threads:confused:

You said something similar on another thread, do you have aspirations to be a mod or are you a member of the Forum Police? At least Billy_Value is entertaining.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lou Kelly wrote: »
    You said something similar on another thread, do you have aspirations to be a mod or are you a member of the Forum Police? At least Billy_Value is entertaining.

considering the initial post you made, i would have to ask if you have aspirations to become a comedian?
  • Options
    abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite would be an amble around Camden market and a river cruise from there.

My French friend comes over many times a year and she does that every time! Of course,much depends on what you want to do and if it's to be a relaxed day or taking in a couple of historic buildings / museums / art galleries - and of course the weather on the day!
  • Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends what floats your boat. I like the Science and Natural History museums, the wife loves Harrods. We both like Camden Market and the Chinese street food there. We both like a trip on The Thames. If you buy a day travel ticket you can travel as much as you like, as often as you like for a day. You can use them on bus, Tube, tram, DLR, London Overground and most National Rail services within London and also get discount on the Thames shuttle craft.

The number 11 bus does the sights, without the annoying prattle.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is the bus (could be number 11 but not sure) that goes all through London? I think that's where it goes anyway. It's a bus that goes past a lot of the sights. pPeople have recommended it on similar threads to this but I've just had a look on the search function and although I can find threads, I can't find people mentioning the bus. Does anyone knwo what bus it is and the route, where to catch it from etc?
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could start in Greenwich. Have a look around the Maritime museum. Then a boat trip up the Thames to Westminster. On the way you get to see all sights from the river with a great commentary. Then pop into the National gallery to see Van Gogh's Sunflowers. Next something to eat in Soho. Finishing up at the Mall and Buckingham Palace.
  • Options
    BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could spend an entire day at the British Museum.... to be honest, you need to give folks a few clues about your likes/dislikes and practicalities like budget, mobility and appetite for crowds, heat and queuing.
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    The south bank is interesting where the London eye is and there's always lots going on there..and plenty of places to sit etc and I think it's the Tate that's along there too, we've often spent most of the day on the south bank in summer, but we live only an hour or so away.. You have all the usual places and a trip on the open top bus worth a thought .. Have a great day x

Tate Modern is on Bankside, Tate Britain is Millbank.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Hi all, I have an entire day in London end of next month, and I wanted some suggestions/itineraries on touristy things?

Any suggestions welcome, thanks!:-)

We get 'What to do in London threads' all the time. Now bearing in mind, it's been 6 days since you started this thread and you haven't replied since, all I'm going to say is 'what do you want to do in London'. Whatever it is, you can do it in London, so send us back a bit more information. I know what I want to do in London. I can use Google, Timeout etc., so you can also. Basically, you do the work. It's not that difficult.
  • Options
    lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    We get 'What to do in London threads' all the time. Now bearing in mind, it's been 6 days since you started this thread and you haven't replied since, all I'm going to say is 'what do you want to do in London'. Whatever it is, you can do it in London, so send us back a bit more information. I know what I want to do in London. I can use Google, Timeout etc., so you can also. Basically, you do the work. It's not that difficult.

Aw, :( - I like giving advice.

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london

Try this site OP
  • Options
    yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buckingham palace is a must to see.
    I would avoid london zoo, I went and enjoyed myself but did it all within about 3 hours
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    lozenger wrote: »
    Aw, :( - I like giving advice.

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london

Try this site OP

It would be helpful if the OP would narrow it down as to what are their interests.

For instance. The link you've given is useful if going by train, but we don't know how the OP is getting to London; train, coach/bus, car etc. Nor do we know if the OP is going on their own or with other people, because you need two people obviously to make use of the 2for1 offers. See what I mean.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you only have one day, there may not be time, but one idea may be to hire a Boris Bike and ride along the Thames.

You could cycle from the west end to Greenwich Park and back in two or three hours. More if you wanted to stop off to eat and drink a few times along the way, or the weather was good and you wanted to stay at the very top of Greenwich Park for a while to enjoy the London skyline. Not all of the ride will be along the water itself, you'll have to go along the backstreets, but it's a nice ride on a good day and if you try to keep to the embankment foot paths as much as possible, you'll see a lot of the Thames.

There's a cafe at the top of Greenwich Park, as well as a cheaper burger and tea hut.

If you don't like the idea of riding in the traffic from the west end, you could hire the bikes from the docking station past Tower Bridge, at the foot of Wapping High Street.

If you're carrying a smartphone, Google Maps will be a great help.
  • Options
    thaliafanthaliafan Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For food, just check out opentable.co.uk.

Roadhouse is good fun on weekdays! Great happy hour, rockaoke and just on Covent Garden :)
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Any suggestions welcome, thanks!:)

Covent Garden
    Trafalgar Square
    St James Park
    Buck Palace
    Westminster Abbey
    Big Ben/Houses of Parliament
    River Boat to Tower Bridge
    Tower of London
    St Pauls Cathedral
    Millennium Bridge
    Tate Modern/Globe Theatre