Why was Alex Salmond booed when he said lets take a moment of silence for MK17

a01020304a01020304 Posts: 2,374
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why was Alex Salmond booed when he said lets take a moment of silence for the MK17 plane during the commonweath games. Everything was fine until that moment but as soon as he mentioned the silence and the plane he was booed.

Comments

• CorbynDallasCorbynDallas Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No one likes him?:confused:
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    No one likes him?:confused:

I don't think it was just that. :D

It does seem a bit schmaltzy and irrelevant. It's a sporting event. Maybe they should have had a minute's silence for all the people who died of hunger and disease today as well?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Was he booed?. I didn't hear any booing.
  • a01020304a01020304 Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

as soon as he said lets take silence for the plane thats when the boos happened. before and after he said that there was none but as soon as he said lets be silent thats then they booed
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    I suspect people thought he was just jumping on the bandwagon of sympathy by using the tragedy to try to promote himself.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if he did actually say MK 17 then there is no wonder he was booed, the flight was MH 17.....MK is Air Mauritius.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    They probably booed him as there will be better things to have a moments silence about rather than being asked to bow their heads to consider the plight of the people who live in Milton Keynes.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why was he milking it? What's it got to do with the games?
  • welsh_Elwelsh_El Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard God save the queen being booed.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a01020304 wrote: »
    Why was Alex Salmond booed when he said lets take a moment of silence for the MK17 plane during the commonweath games. Everything was fine until that moment but as soon as he mentioned the silence and the plane he was booed.

MH17

Because the people booing him are morons ?
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it was just that. :D

It does seem a bit schmaltzy and irrelevant. It's a sporting event. Maybe they should have had a minute's silence for all the people who died of hunger and disease today as well?

Oh ffs don't you lot bloody listen? The president of the Commonwealth Games is Prince Imram from Malaysia. So hardly irrelevant.
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why was he milking it? What's it got to do with the games?

Malaysia is a commonwealth country so he'd probably be getting it in the neck if he didn't mention it. I think sometimes people just attack him because they don't like him rather than because of what he is doing at the time. There has been a minutes silence at many sporting events for many reasons but this is the first time I can remember anyone being attacked for asking people to observe it.
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    Oh ffs don't you lot bloody listen? The president of the Commonwealth Games is Prince Imram from Malaysia. So hardly irrelevant.

Well I never knew that Malaysia was part of the CommonWealth so that's news to me. I haven't seen any games coverage at all. I was only aware of them when the opening appeared as a news item.
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They probably booed him as there will be better things to have a moments silence about rather than being asked to bow their heads to consider the plight of the people who live in Milton Keynes.

MK17 is Aspley Guise and Woburn. Not sure how much sympathy is needed there.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member

Don't underestimate the horrors of living in Milton Keynes :(:cry: I'm not in MK17 though, phew :D
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many people have not forgiven Salmond for allowing Magrahi to go free. And he's becoming less popular now people find out all the "not quite the whole truth" about his independence aims.

I used to like him, but can't stand him or his sidekick Sturgeon any more for what they're trying to do to the UK.
  • ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member

Salmond's speech is here, at about the 3h 16m mark:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04bb2b1/commonwealth-games-glasgow-2014-opening-ceremony

I can't hear any booing for him, or during the silence.

I searched the news reports and couldn't find any reports of booing during the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony.

I did find this article, suggesting that Salmond does have a history of being booed by the Scots when tries to shoehorn his politics in to sport...
    Salmond will know better than to so much as hint about his referendum during the Games in general, and promised yesterday to keep quiet about independence. This is wise: his fascination with sport’s ability to bring out nationalist sentiment has so far been matched only by his clumsiness in trying to exploit it.

Last month, Andy Murray spoke about how embarrassed he was to see Salmond unfurling a Saltire after his Wimbledon victory. When the First Minister gatecrashed an Olympic victory parade in Glasgow two years ago, he was booed. His bizarre suggestion, then, that Scots cheer only the Scottish members of Team GB – the “Scolympians”, as he called them – was an embarrassing failure. The victories of Jessica Ennis and Bradley Wiggins were celebrated in Scotland as the achievements of countrymen, not foreigners. That summer, with the Jubilee and the glory, was one long coming together of the British clan.
    (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10983401/Alex-Salmond-shouldnt-bank-on-gold.html)

...but as he didn't seem to be doing that last night, it looks like the OP's ears were playing tricks on them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Free the MK seventeen...
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    The sound of alleged 'boos' was in fact the sound of chairs flipping up as people stood for the minute silence. No-one booed at all.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [edited - said the same as the previous poster - it was the sound of the whole stadium standing up]
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Well I never knew that Malaysia was part of the CommonWealth so that's news to me.
    It's a legacy from the days of the British Empire.
  • D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because people didn't? The victims were remembered probably because of Prince Imran from Malaysia being president of the Commonwealth Games. I know people hate Salmond but this is just desperate. :blush:
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    I used to like him, but can't stand him or his sidekick Sturgeon any more for what they're trying to do to the UK.
    The SNP is the most popular party in Scotland. Their raison d'etre has always been Scottish independence. What would you expect them to do other than try to achieve that aim, now that they're actually in government? :confused:
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sound of alleged 'boos' was in fact the sound of chairs flipping up as people stood for the minute silence. No-one booed at all.

That was my interpretation too. Also weren't the athletes all sat on the random chairs at that point, as it did sound like some chair scrapeing in the mix too.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Neither did I but I was probably on my 3rd large glass of wine by then. However, if he was, it was unjustified. People shouldn't make political, or any other, points during any silence.

The tragedy happened on a Commonwealth plane and many Commonwealth citizens, and many others, were killed.