Hollyoaks - Opening credits

Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,415
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Apologies if this has already been mentioned somewhere else but why aren't any of the "older" actors on the opening credits. I think the oldest person on there is Tony or Warren.

I know its meant to be a "yoof" show but I do remember years back that Jack used to be on it. Also on the late night Hollyoaks a couple of months ago Malachy and Kris's mum was on those credits.

It might be a time thing as its very fast but if they get about two characters in one shot they could easily fit the older ones in.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,433
    Forum Member
    i think the older cast members should be featured in the credits, they are in the show after all. too much focus on the youth, i think.
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    I think it looks stupid and cheesy, kinda how Hollyoaks has been recently.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't put two people in together in case one of the characters leave which means they'd have to re-film that one character again. I think it's a mixture of timing and the fact that they want it to look 'cool' and 'young'.

To be honest, I've grown tired of them. They do look a bit silly and if they want audiences of all ages to watch it, they need to get rid of them. The male/female symbolled logo is a stupid too, I don't see what was wrong with the old logo. Everything about the current look spells 'tacky, teen soap'.
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its too fast as well. The amount of times I've had to view them about 5 or 6 times before I could figure out who a particular person was. I remember ages ago thinking "where's Russ" and it took me nearly two weeks to realise he was the guy who falls back onto the sofa.
    Forum Member
    They also ruin an ending if it's supposed to be dramatic then that crap kicks in.
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and has anyone noticed at the end of the show sometimes when the announcer says "if you have been affected by blah blah blah" and they have the names running on the side, the pictures that they show are out of date with people like Max and OB still on them?
  • ThaGazBoiThaGazBoi Posts: 15,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because Hollyoaks- if people want to admit it or not- IS a youth show. It's never going to attract the viewers that Coronation Street, EE or even Emmerdale get. It's mainly a TEEN soap that TEEN people watch.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Apologies if this has already been mentioned somewhere else but why aren't any of the "older" actors on the opening credits. I think the oldest person on there is Tony or Warren.

I know its meant to be a "yoof" show but I do remember years back that Jack used to be on it. Also on the late night Hollyoaks a couple of months ago Malachy and Kris's mum was on those credits.

It might be a time thing as its very fast but if they get about two characters in one shot they could easily fit the older ones in.

It's been mentioned about a million times! :)

Watching the old eps on YT I noticed that they used to open with rolling scenes from eps rather than just having the actors parading - provocatively and half naked in some cases - for the credits, so that you saw them all. Apart from anything else the old way gave an idea of what the programme was like, seeing the characters in scenes.

The older characters have never been featured cos they only want the so called 'young' characters featured, even though some of them are knocking 30 so are hardly kids.
    Personally I think it looks daft when they have two 8 year olds in the credits.

Only time they DID have oldies in of course was the HO later eps when Mal's Mum was in it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    ThaGazBoi wrote: »
    It's mainly a TEEN soap that TEEN people watch.
    Not it's not, it's been said time and time again that the Hollyoaks big wigs want to make the show appeal to all age groups and not just focus on storylines that attract "teen" viewers. If it was purely for those of school age the show would be on at 4pm and wouldn't be tackling such controversial issues.

I think Hollyoaks did achieve this for a period last year with quite a few good storylines coming from the "non teen" characters (especially Max) but a lot of people have left (and are leaving) and Bryan Kirkwood has left the show in a right state. The best episodes Hollyoaks had last year were Max's death and Niall's revenge, all focusing on "non teen" characters.

I've never been keen on the opening credits, I liked the old style they used to do.

Hopefully Lucy Allan has a lot of new ideas up her sleeve and will turn it all around, she's already persuaded Emma (Hannah) to extend her contract by 6 months.
    Forum Member
    Its too fast as well. The amount of times I've had to view them about 5 or 6 times before I could figure out who a particular person was. I remember ages ago thinking "where's Russ" and it took me nearly two weeks to realise he was the guy who falls back onto the sofa.

I didn't realise it was him either, I thought it was Kieron on twice!
  • MoDingleMoDingle Posts: 4,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ThaGazBoi wrote: »
    Because Hollyoaks- if people want to admit it or not- IS a youth show. It's never going to attract the viewers that Coronation Street, EE or even Emmerdale get. It's mainly a TEEN soap that TEEN people watch.

Excuse me - I aint no teen and it's been a long time since I was one but I still watch it - don't know for how much longer tho as it has been total cr*p recently - I can't stand the McQueens and am sad that Russ is leaving - why does he have to try to snatch his own kid before he goes tho ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They include Tom and Holly in the opening credits and tbh I do not think they fit with the so-called youth image.
    They come and go much the same as the older members of cast
    Forum Member
    MoDingle wrote: »
    Excuse me - I aint no teen and it's been a long time since I was one but I still watch it - don't know for how much longer tho as it has been total cr*p recently - I can't stand the McQueens and am sad that Russ is leaving - why does he have to try to snatch his own kid before he goes tho ?

I don't get that either. It's not JacQui's kid and I'm sick of her acting like it is and nothing to do with Russ, bloody awful family.

Don't mention the stupid jesus potato.
  • MoDingleMoDingle Posts: 4,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get that either. It's not JacQui's kid and I'm sick of her acting like it is and nothing to do with Russ, bloody awful family.

Don't mention the stupid jesus potato.

Jesus potato

;):D
    Forum Member

Still can't get over the episode when Tina died. Jacqui just took the baby from whoever was holding him, like she was taking a biscuit .... and she's had him ever since, with no one apparently questioning the fact!

I mean it was partly believable if it was Tony's baby, but it's not, so Russ is the only one with a right TO the baby, so the way they're doing it is just ridiculous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't find out where Carmel was for aaaaages. I kept wondering who the blonde was, thought it was Hannah for a while until I googled it.