Ken or Boris ... What would you do in my position ?

LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
Forum Member
In the next General Election I will probably vote Monster Raving Loony as I have lost trust in all politicians over the years.
I used to be a Labour supporter but since the 'new' came in with Blair .. then I don't see much difference, yes I can see what the Tories are doing now and it was to be expected .. but Labour (New) started the ball rolling in many ways ... in my opinion to pander to the middle ground.

I am 60 and Boris has promised to protect the Freedom Pass and lower the age to be eligible for it back to 60yrs old.
Ken as far as I can see has just promised to protect it (as it is).

I am eligible in just over a year under present rules.

My wife says vote for Ken, otherwise ''you wouldn't be able to live with yourself '' ... my brother says vote for yourself as they are all the same shower of *****.

What would you do in my position ?

Comments

• mirrorimagemirrorimage Posts: 4,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your vote should be based on a personal assessment of what you feel either candidate could do for you, not the opinion of anyone else.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    Boris, Ken has disgraced London with his links to dictators and tax dodging ways.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    London boroughs actually provide and pay for the freedom pass - using council taxpayers money and govt grant. They guarantee the scheme carries on.

The Mayor just funds add ons e.g. free travel to work before 9am on the tube for high court judges/city bankers over 60.

So I wouldn't let this issue decide your vote - because ultimately its shocking that poor Londoners on low wages have to pay ever higher fares so many well off pensioners get free travel. Particularly as the scheme won't be affordable for much longer (so current young people won't get it) as there will be too many pensioners relative to working people.

Far better to provide free/cheaper social care for the elderly who really need help!

As for your vote - maybe you shouldn't just be worried about No 1 e.g. who would do the best to deliver more jobs for young people, tackle crime, provide more affordable housing etc.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Personally, I'd vote for the greens. At least they care about the world future generations will inherit, the other parties just care about what happens in five minutes.
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't live in London but if I did I would have a good look at all the candidates not just Ken and Boris.
  • CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    Don't forget you get a second preference vote (which counts).
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't bring myself to vote for either Boris or Ken this time. Probably going to be either Paddick or Jenny Jones that will get my vote.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    In the next General Election I will probably vote Monster Raving Loony as I have lost trust in all politicians over the years.
    I used to be a Labour supporter but since the 'new' came in with Blair .. then I don't see much difference, yes I can see what the Tories are doing now and it was to be expected .. but Labour (New) started the ball rolling in many ways ... in my opinion to pander to the middle ground.

I am 60 and Boris has promised to protect the Freedom Pass and lower the age to be eligible for it back to 60yrs old.
    Ken as far as I can see has just promised to protect it (as it is).

I am eligible in just over a year under present rules.

My wife says vote for Ken, otherwise ''you wouldn't be able to live with yourself '' ... my brother says vote for yourself as they are all the same shower of *****.

What would you do in my position ?

If you don't like Cameron, but don't want Ken rerunning history and spending years fighting the government and losing London government money and investment, I would vote for Boris . Cameron can't stand him, he may challenge Cameron at some point, he does issue some words of sense - between being a buffoon - and there's more to laugh at than with Ken. Ken will just put people off from voting for Labour in the next election so that may be another factor in voting to keep him out whichever way you lean between the two main parties.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ken never was a Blairite, so if that's your only reason for not voting for him, it's a non-issue really.
  • hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    Is it all about 'what's in it for me'?

Have you not considered which candidate would be best for London?
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look at all the other things each has promised as well. I'd vote for what's best for London overall, not just my bus pass. You do want to live in a nice city don't you?
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've just turned 60.............what's this Freedom Pass ?........

and how do you get it ?
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh..........just found an eligibilty calculator and I'm not eligible until I reach 62............:cry:

Free travel sounds good..............:p
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Oh..........just found an eligibilty calculator and I'm not eligible until I reach 62............:cry:

Free travel sounds good..............:p

I thought they put it up to 62 for everybody as well but on the calculator it is saying I'm eligible at 61 and 6 months. Maybe it is on some sort of sliding scale ?
  • statelessstateless Posts: 1,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't bother voting for either.
  • The PuzzlerThe Puzzler Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    Don't vote for Ken, he wants to turn London into an islamic state....
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of the two Boris is the lesser of two Evils....but Paddock is the way to go.
  • 2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ken is patently unelectable for a string of reasons. Is it risky to say Boris hasn't done major cock-ups? Not saying he's perfect by any stretch. His buses have yet to prove themselves.

By the way if you don't vote for Ken because you have fears of Islam, you should take a real look at yourself because you're not playing the game. The game is playing you. IMHO.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are an ex-Labour supporter I would do what other ex-Labour supporters have done and voted Green where the opportunity arises.

It is important to still vote - the current incumbents don't want you to because it keeps the status quo. If you and others vote away from the main three parties it will make them worried and hopeful stem the disdainful arrogance that emanates from the three main parties nowadays.
  • The PuzzlerThe Puzzler Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    Ken is patently unelectable for a string of reasons. Is it risky to say Boris hasn't done major cock-ups? Not saying he's perfect by any stretch. His buses have yet to prove themselves.

By the way if you don't vote for Ken because you have fears of Islam, you should take a real look at yourself because you're not playing the game. The game is playing you. IMHO.
    I'm not voting for Ken because I don't live in London, so don't worry. God help Londoners if he gets elected though:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    I'm fed up to the back teeth of the Ken & Boris show - X-Factor politics at its worse! So .....

VOTE SIOBHAN!!!! :D:D

http://www.siobhanformayor.com/index.html
  • Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    I thought they put it up to 62 for everybody as well but on the calculator it is saying I'm eligible at 61 and 6 months. Maybe it is on some sort of sliding scale ?

I was born 28th of November 1953 - as it stands today I will get the pass 6 November 2018 { three weeks before I turn 65 }

but if I was born 28th of January 1953 I would get my pass 6 November 2015 { three weeks before I turn 62 }

No wonder people are confused as it makes no sense having a three year gap for people born in the same year.

Far better to wind it back to 60 { in which case I will get the pass next year } although to be fair it should be means tested.

It was a good move by Boris and he has caught out Ken who only changed his stance when Boris came out with the idea first.
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My first preference will go to an independent, my second preference will go (reluctantly) towards Boris as a "stop Ken" vote.

I'm no fan of Boris, I just see him as the least toxic of the two likely winners.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    since both are effectively keeping the pass, decide on some other issue. or vote for neither.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually it is easy. If you are right wing and rich(at least earn £1 million per year) , vote for Boris. If you are stupid, vote for Boris.