Options

Going to the doctor about depression

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
Forum Member
I've got an appointment first thing tomorrow morning and I'm nervous :( I'm pretty sure I am depressed, in fact I've been pretty sure for ages now I've just been too ashamed to tell anyone but I've had enough now, I just want to feel normal again.

Basically I feel down and teary most of the time and I find it very hard to stay happy. I've literally lost all motivation to do anything and lost interest in all of my hobbies. I used to love acting and playing sports but I just don't have motivation to do any of those things any more. And I've thought about suicide. My future looks just so hopeless at the moment but I don't know why.

I don't know what to say to the doctor. I feel so awkward about it all, do I just go in there and say "I feel depressed?" What if she doesn't think I am and tells me to go away? If I am depressed, will I just be prescribed antidepressants or can I ask to be referred to a counsellor? I think I want to see a counsellor first before taking anything, but is that allowed?

Need some advice because I feel so nervous :(

Comments

• Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jordyn95 wrote: »
    I've got an appointment first thing tomorrow morning and I'm nervous :( I'm pretty sure I am depressed, in fact I've been pretty sure for ages now I've just been too ashamed to tell anyone but I've had enough now, I just want to feel normal again.

Basically I feel down and teary most of the time and I find it very hard to stay happy. I've literally lost all motivation to do anything and lost interest in all of my hobbies. I used to love acting and playing sports but I just don't have motivation to do any of those things any more. And I've thought about suicide. My future looks just so hopeless at the moment but I don't know why.

I don't know what to say to the doctor. I feel so awkward about it all, do I just go in there and say "I feel depressed?" What if she doesn't think I am and tells me to go away? If I am depressed, will I just be prescribed antidepressants or can I ask to be referred to a counsellor? I think I want to see a counsellor first before taking anything, but is that allowed?

tell her what you have written here, cry if you feel like it.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fredster wrote: »

and doc wont tell you to go away
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can ask for counselling but there'll be a long waiting list so the drug direction is quicker.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's only normal to feel nervous.But you have to confront your illness.Your life will be crippled by it if you don't.Going to your GP is the first big step.
    They'll ask you ti fill in a questionnaire about your feelings.It's just a 2 minute box tick thing.That'll rate you on your scale of depression.
    They tend to prescribe 1 of 3 anti depressants to start with(on a low dose).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    fredster wrote: »

That would be so embarrassing :o
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry. I was nervous to go about my anxiety fearing they'd judge me and think I was wasting their time. I had no reason to worry. Just be open, honest and tell your doctor exactly how you've been feeling. Hope it goes ok xx
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Your GP has seen the toughest of people in floods of tears with depression.
    You might think you won't cry.But once you start opening up,you probably will.Perfectly normal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know what to say to the doctor. I feel so awkward about it all, do I just go in there and say "I feel depressed?"

Yes :)

The first time I went to see my GP, that's exactly what I said. If you don't know what to say, or how to say it, just pause after you tell them you feel depressed and I'm sure they'll happily fill in the silence by asking you a few questions to get the ball rolling.

It's natural to feel nervous, but trust me, you'll feel like a huge weight has been lifted off your shoulders as soon as you step out of the surgery.

You'll be absolutely fine :)
  • Options
    Ada RabbleAda Rabble Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Doctors are usually good regards depression.
    If you tell them you're interested in counseling they should refer you. You can take medication while you're waiting for the appointment, personally I find the anti depressants work well, but its what you want for yourself really.
    Try not to be nervous, think positively that you're making the first step to get well, don't worry about what some doctor will think.
  • Options
    ShizukuShizuku Posts: 2,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wrote it down and just handed them the piece of paper. Didn't go into much detail, said I found it hard to talk about and that they would be better off asking me questions. Filled in a short questionnaire, sorted.

I still cried the whole time! But they see hundreds of people with the same thing, a lot worse too, you'll be nothing out of the ordinary to them, don't worry, it'll all be over this time tomorrow :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also they do tend to offer medication first, because of the long wait for counselling but also because a lot of people need the medication to buoy them up enough to be able to participate fully in the counselling. I don't think I'll be ready to talk to a counsellor till my medication has really kicked in, so I'm glad they do it that way.

But you can definately ask if you have another preference.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once you say to the Dr "I think I am depressed" that's the hard part over. The rest will all be easier to talk about once you've crossed that small hurdle.

Don't be nervous and good job on being strong enough to ask for help :)

Also yes, write down anything you feel that you want to say before you go. And be honest. They can only help you if you are honest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't be ashamed. Depression is not a choice. Good luck, I hope they take your seriously. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shizuku wrote: »
    Also they do tend to offer medication first, because of the long wait for counselling but also because a lot of people need the medication to buoy them up enough to be able to participate fully in the counselling. I don't think I'll be ready to talk to a counsellor till my medication has really kicked in, so I'm glad they do it that way.

The reason why I'd prefer counselling first is because I've been reading about a lot about the side effects of antidepressants otherwise I'd be more willing to give them a go. I know that's a stupid reason. Do they generally offer both? Did you have any side effects when on antidepressants?
  • Options
    tenorladytenorlady Posts: 1,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't be ashamed. Depression is not a choice. Good luck, I hope they take your seriously. :)
    This is so true, it's not an option, it's an illness, and there is help available to get yourself well.

If you were diabetic/asthmatic/hypertensive you wouldn't hesitate in seeking advice from a health care professional.

Best wishes.
  • Options
    JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

gosh u sound like me.
    i thought i was depressed before, but now i really am depressed.
    i have been on anti anxiety pills for a year. but they dont seem to of helped my depression. i dont want to tell docs as it will mean more pills :mad::(:cry:
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes go to the doctor ASAP, the first thing you need is to tell someone to get the ball rolling. Only then can you finally develop a plan to tackle this horrible illness. Its long road to recovery, and you have to be prepared to fight for it, but it can be done.

As regards to depression, what is making you depressed? What is making you lose interest in your hobbies? Why have you lost interest in acting?

If its to do with your self worth and self perception in society then Cognetive Behaviour Therapy, which is what I am going through right now, is availible to help give you the tools to try to improve your self worth and give you some structure into daily routine potentially making yourself a bit happier. :)

Don't underestimate the work that needs to be done though to improve yourself esteem, its a long marathon, especially if you've been like this for a long time like I have, but you can change it without a shadow of a doubt, reforming your thinking processes into more positive ones, give yourself time.
  • Options
    sezziesezzie Posts: 11,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shizuku wrote: »

This simply isn't true, and is poor advice.

The system is now very much in favour of self-referral, or referral from your GP if preferred, for an assessment by your local Mental Health Team. The preferred treatment at the moment is CBT, NOT drugs.

I've had issues for many years now, and I've tried many therapies, but not drugs - I want to stay 'real'. This year I've been down the CBT route and I have to say it's very good, if you're prepared to take on the challenges of change and taking responsibility for your own life.

I wish you luck.
  • Options
    slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    In my experience the first thing a doctor will do is stick you on fluoxetine
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Take therapy over anti-depressants if you can.
    The drugs do help, but a therapist will also prescribe them if you need them further to therapy. Drugs don't confront the problem as much as therapy will
  • Options
    citiuscitius Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Dont rule out the possiblitly of SAD if your symptoms tend to come on at particular times of the year. I suffer greatly from this and my SAD is just starting to rear it's ugly head again. It happens at roughly the same time each year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If youve got a printer, just print out your post and give it to them. Depression is so common...dont suffer! Please dont. You will probably end up with a prescription, fluxotiene (if thats how you spell it) (prozac) is the easiest, it doesnt give you the runs like citalopram, It does take a month or 2 to work though. Good luck...take that step. You wont be the only one tomorrow your doctor will be seeing that has the same thing. The doc will be glad you went.
  • Options
    WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my experience the first thing a doctor will do is stick you on fluoxetine

Citalopram nowadays.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As has been mentioned write things down - and probably hand this to the doctor .
    Answer any questions truthfully - and don't be afraid of crying.
    By going to the doctor you have made a great step towards getting better - but it can take time to get better and it is infuriating when you do not seem to be improving - but you will be better ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sezzie wrote: »
    This simply isn't true, and is poor advice.

The system is now very much in favour of self-referral, or referral from your GP if preferred, for an assessment by your local Mental Health Team. The preferred treatment at the moment is CBT, NOT drugs.

I've had issues for many years now, and I've tried many therapies, but not drugs - I want to stay 'real'. This year I've been down the CBT route and I have to say it's very good, if you're prepared to take on the challenges of change and taking responsibility for your own life.

I wish you luck.

Well it is true because it's mine and others experience.

That they tend (tend: to be disposed or inclined not to always) to offer medication first but you can definately ask if you have another preference.

So it's poor advice for me to say to ask for CBT if your doctor offers you anti depressants first, which they may not even do? Okaaaay :rolleyes: Well in that case I stand by my poor advice!

Also I'm a bit late answering OP but yes anti depressents have side effects - but not for everyone. I've not had any, other people have all sorts - but thats the same for all and any kind of medication, so it's your call I'm afraid.

And yes they do offer both but as I said earlier, they may offer medication first, in which case you can say I'd rather not and I'd like to try counselling/CBT.