Options

LG Nexus 4 officially announced

Comments

• Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    Wow £369 for a phone on sale brandnew for £279 lol. Fanboys and their money eh.

Since it isn't actually possible to place an order for one at that price it's a little hard to argue that it's currently on sale for that price.

It has previously been on sale for that price and it may be again in the future, but it isn't right now.
  • Options
    BRGBRG Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sounds a lot to pay for a £279 phone but it's not actually on sale at that price anywhere in the world and hasn't been for almost a month. And there's no indication when it might be so right now you might as well say it is on sale for £5 or £500. you can't buy it for that price so thats not the 'market rate' atm?

Edit: Roush- snap!
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is worth paying a premium to get THE premium device.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    Since it isn't actually possible to place an order for one at that price .
    (£279)Only the grade B for less. Not too many grade As actually exist maybe.

Grade C for even less seems the norm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    Surely a contract (for any phone) includes the inclusive service that you receive?
    So for example, if a contract (with phone) is £36 x 24months = £864, and the service sim only was £15x24 = £360, then the phone has only cost £504?

And by that very same flawed argument, the likes of the S3 occasionally costs £100, thus making a good profit at the end of the contract.
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    finbaar wrote: »
    It is worth paying a premium to get THE premium device.

nice try ;)

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    And by that very same flawed argument, the likes of the S3 occasionally costs £100, thus making a good profit at the end of the contract.

What flawed argument. I was just pointing out the actual cost of the device within a contract.
  • Options
    Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I got a iPhone 5 free on a £34 a month contract total over 24 months total £816 the price of the phone sim free is £529, so £816 minus the phone of £529 leaves £287.

Dived £287 over 24 months means I'm getting the oneplan from 3 for just £11 a month with tethering BARGIN!!

An instead of paying out £529 on a phone in one go, I look at like I got 24 months interest free credit.

Assuming the phone is worth £200 in 24 months (it will be) that's a fantastic deal.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

Says he/she who buys things apparently just for the sake of it? And whats with the fanboy bit? Did you fail to pay attention to what i said the other day? Or was it to complicated for you to understand as always?

Anyway, if you can show me where to get one for £279, i would be grateful :)

Oh, just a quick question. The other day when you said you would be willing to put a pic up of your N4 etc, why did you say 'i may have had to do it previously ;)' when you haven't?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .....(it will be) that's a fantastic deal.
    All a personal opinion thing really.

If I was given £270 cash to spend in a phone to 'use as my phone for the next 2 years', I would probably choose the Optimus 4X, maybe the Nexus 4 and certainly not even a 'half price iPhone 5'.

I still have to use it, so I'd rather be stuck using a more useful phablety thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well I got a iPhone 5 free on a £34 a month contract total over 24 months total £816 the price of the phone sim free is £529, so £816 minus the phone of £529 leaves £287.

Dived £287 over 24 months means I'm getting the oneplan from 3 for just £11 a month with tethering BARGIN!!

An instead of paying out £529 on a phone in one go, I look at like I got 24 months interest free credit.

Assuming the phone is worth £200 in 24 months (it will be) that's a fantastic deal.

wow thats convoluted :p Just in case you werent joking ......

so you are paying £816 for your iPhone 5

A N4 is £280
    24 months at £12 a month - unlimted web - (GiffGaff, Virgin etc) is £288
    total ownership is £568

Lets say your iPhone 5 is worth £200 in 2 years makes your ownership cost £616

Even if the Nexus 4 is worth nothing then you are still better off (financially) with the Nexus.

Now im not saying that its all down to maths but ...... bargain ??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    wow thats convoluted :p Just in case you werent joking ......

so you are paying £816 for your iPhone 5

A N4 is £280
    total ownership is £568

Lets say your iPhone 5 is worth £200 in 2 years makes your ownership cost £616

Even if the Nexus 4 is worth nothing then you are still better off (financially) with the Nexus.

Now im not saying that its all down to maths but ...... bargain ??

Yep, you're quite correct but it seems you can no longer get a N4 for £279 so you'll need to add £130 to your N4 calculations,

So the N4 for 24 months is £698 lets say its worth around £150- £180 after 2 years then its even better value as cost of ownership is just over £400 including calls/internet ect.

Lets hope it hold its value better than the Samsung Nexus as thats already available for slightly over £200,
  • Options
    markrdukmarkrduk Posts: 1,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone holding out for the official Nexus 4 wireless charger might be put of by the price of the, just announced, Nexus 7 dock which is a snap at just £80!

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/49079/asus-nexus-7-docking-station
  • Options
    hxbrohxbro Posts: 2,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel bad, my contract works out at £7.80 a month for my N4 :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hxbro wrote: »
    I feel bad, my contract works out at £7.80 a month for my N4 :)

That's quite bad considering the nexus 4 is only £279 from google.

My contract for my iPhone works out at £11 a month , not bad as the iPhone 5 is £512.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    markrduk wrote: »
    Anyone holding out for the official Nexus 4 wireless charger might be put of by the price of the, just announced, Nexus 7 dock which is a snap at just £80!

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/49079/asus-nexus-7-docking-station

don't think they've got the price correct. It's only €30 in the German ASUS store.

http://shop.asus.de/shop/de/de-DE/Home/1-Produkte/1500-ASUS-Collection/1936-Tablet-Zubehoer/2278-Nexus-7-Zubehoer/90-XB3XOKDS00020-Nexus-7-Docking-Station.aspx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so you are paying £816 for your iPhone 5..........Now im not saying that its all down to maths but ...... bargain ??
    Lucky that the power of positive thinking can make it £11 a month.

:yawn:
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A N4 is £399 + unlock fee ?
    total ownership is £687
    ??

Correction, it is impossible to get the N4 at 279 from google for what seems the foreseeable future. The launch has been an utter shambles

at £687 v £816 ( if you use the pay and go calculation for the iPhone ) then I'd say cost of ownership of the iPhone is going to be around equal or even less due to the probably lower depreciation of the iPhone, until google sort this mess out.
  • Options
    tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's some dodgy mathematics going on in this thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    ...until google sort this mess out.
    Plenty of debate as to whether its simply a short run exclusive.
    Methinks this is also the very first Nexus phone that went mega.

If you like smaller phones you can currently get the soon to be JB Galaxy S2 for £200 PAYG. So alongside the LG 4X its a very decent mess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yep, you're quite correct but it seems you can no longer get a N4 for £279 so you'll need to add £130 to your N4 calculations,

So the N4 for 24 months is £698 lets say its worth around £150- £180 after 2 years then its even better value as cost of ownership is just over £400 including calls/internet ect.

Lets hope it hold its value better than the Samsung Nexus as thats already available for slightly over £200,

I got 2 Nexuses (Nexii ?) just before Christmas. Temporarily out of stock isnt 'no longer available at that price' ;)

My Samsung Galaxy Nexus could be traded in for about £130 now. I dont think it was great value for money to be honest but I wanted a Nexus. The N4 (and N7) are the first Nexuses that Google have 'aggressively' priced and are therefore the first once that make real financial sense (IMHO).

Whatever you think of Android I dont think anyway can say that the N4 isnt a LOT of phone for the money. It could start to change the way phones are priced in general. The introduction of the N7 has certainly started to drive down the price of tablets .....
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Even better I can get an s3 for £15 a month with £69 upfront so £69 + 24*15 = £429.

Minus the cost of the s3 to buy £399 = £30 so the network has to pay for my contact after month two so they will owe me money ... definately taking this deal almost free :D
  • Options
    carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well my nexus 4 is getting replaced. I've had it nearly a month and as odd as it sounds I've not had to use it much for calls til recently and after 2 days of intermittent crackling whilst on the phone I've had enough. I called Google who are kindly sending me a replacement handset before I have to send my old one back to them. That's good service if you ask me.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carguy143 wrote: »
    Well my nexus 4 is getting replaced. I've had it nearly a month and as odd as it sounds I've not had to use it much for calls til recently and after 2 days of intermittent crackling whilst on the phone I've had enough. I called Google who are kindly sending me a replacement handset before I have to send my old one back to them. That's good service if you ask me.

Welcome to the queue for a replacement :)

I RMA'd one of my N4s due to a WiFi issue on 30/12 and I was quoted dispatch of a replacement in 'less that one week' but I'm still waiting for a replacement to be dispatched...

Although, if Google's shocking support continues I wouldn't be at all surprised if you get a replacement before me!
  • Options
    denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What kind of Wifi issue did you have. Am just noticing minor issues crawling up with wifi (not connecting when set to auto). And yesterday when searching for networks, not once did I get into the lists of available networks (although all five are available) until I cleared the cache of the phone.