Why is there never two characters with the same name in soaps

cashloot147cashloot147 Posts: 609
Forum Member
✭✭
Was just thinking, has any soap ever had two characters with the same name? Like two Lauras, two Steves etc?

I don't even think they re-use a name once that character has been written out!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was Billy Mitchell and Billie Jackson in EE for a while. Also, Vicki Fowler and Nana (Victoria) Moon but that doesn't really count.
  • iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brookside had Jacqui Dixon and Jackie Corkhill and Emily Farnham and Emily Shadwick
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eddie Moon and the recurring Edward Bishop? Or does it have to be regulars only.
  • samusek2samusek2 Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was Bet Gilroy, Betty Turpin and Liz McDonald working at the Rovers at one point

Also you can have times where there is a Jack (Duckworth) and a Jackie (Dobbs) on the Street at the same time
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a Grant Mitchell in two soaps... beat that
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rick182 wrote: »

Matt Musgrove was the same character in Brookside and Hollyoaks played by the same actor :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iCandy77 wrote: »
    Matt Musgrove was the same character in Brookside and Hollyoaks played by the same actor :p

Gemma Bissex played Clare in two soaps...they were pretty much the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maurice45 wrote: »
    Gemma Bissex played Clare in two soaps...they were pretty much the same.

Ahh yes, I forgot about that!
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was just thinking, has any soap ever had two characters with the same name? Like two Lauras, two Steves etc?

I don't even think they re-use a name once that character has been written out!

Emmerdale briefly had Jimmy King and Jimmy Pepper (Val's ex).

Emmerdale has also reused the names Jack and Sarah Sugden.

Corrie has Liam Connor Junior.

Also - an amusing moment in Brookside when Harry Cross briefly returned to the Close (sufferring from dementia), and wandered into the Farnhams house, where baby Harry Farnhamn was being looked after by Greg's mum.

Greg's mum discovers older Harry in the Farnham's living room, thinks she recognises him, she says "Harry...?", to which the bloke with her replies "Harry! Blimey - what's Susannah been feeding him?". :D
  • GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    River City has Big Boab and Wee Boab (formerly Shellsuit Boab):D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corrie

Tommy Duckworth
    Tommy Harris
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 Tiffany's in Eastenders. Allbeit Bianca named her daughter after her best mate.
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 Lydias in EE, Bradley Branning's girlfriend and Janine's Grandmother.
  • ThumbolinaThumbolina Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rick182 wrote: »
    EastEnders is obvious but was the other one Craig McLachlan in Home and Away yonks ago? I think he came over here and tried to make a career of singing like Kylie and Jason did but it didn't work.

I may be wrong here as my memory is not great!
  • IanMandyIanMandy Posts: 14,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EE had 3 Mo's- Mo Butcher, Mo Harris and Little Mo Mitchell
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised that there's only ever been one Phil in EE; Phil's not exactly an uncommon name. Same with Tracy, Sharon, Michael, Denise and Lucy to name but a few.

There seem to be an abundance of people called Danny/Dan around though!
  • cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maurice45 wrote: »
    There was Billy Mitchell and Billie Jackson in EE for a while. Also, Vicki Fowler and Nana (Victoria) Moon but that doesn't really count.

I remember Billy Mitchell saying to Billie Jackson something like, "You're a Billy aswell? Well there's only room for one Billy round here and that's me" or something like that anyway.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at the same time but Kevin in Corrie has had two affairs with women called Molly,
  • Josh StonemJosh Stonem Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    Thumbolina wrote: »
    EastEnders is obvious but was the other one Craig McLachlan in Home and Away yonks ago? I think he came over here and tried to make a career of singing like Kylie and Jason did but it didn't work.

You are spot on! :)

He was a bit of a one hit wonder with 'Hey Mona' IIRC.
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thumbolina wrote: »

He was also in a BBC TV series called 'Bugs', which I remember fondly, but nobody else seems to...:o
  • ThumbolinaThumbolina Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gboy wrote: »
    He was also in a BBC TV series called 'Bugs', which I remember fondly, but nobody else seems to...:o
    Did he also do a stint in Neighbours? I never watched Neighbours. I was a Home and Away watcher right from the first episode until a year ago. I lost interest when the River Boys took over the stories.
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were 2 Pauls in Coronation Street
    Paul Connor and I think Jack and Vera had a grandson called Paul?

Just remembered did Maria not also name her stillborn son Paul after Paul Connor :(
  • fawltytowers93fawltytowers93 Posts: 1,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cobwebsoup wrote: »
    I remember Billy Mitchell saying to Billie Jackson something like, "You're a Billy aswell? Well there's only room for one Billy round here and that's me" or something like that anyway.

I remember that line! It was so contrived and cringeworthy, in real life you'd never say that to anyone with the same name as you! There's 4 Chris's in my media class, I wouldn't be like "there's only room for one Chris" :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    One reason: Practicality. If you have two characters with the same name, it can get confusing with the scripting and storylining process. There's also the risk that some of the audience will get confused if there are two Chris' knocking about, so it's easier to give different names to avoid crossover.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gboy wrote: »

I do it had Jesse Birdsall and Jaye Griffiths...I loved that show!!! :D