Options

Anybody prefer Grease 2 to Grease 1?

Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Always have. Just prefer the songs and the whole 80s vibe (even though it's supposed to be 1950s :D)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    nah, for me it's Grease then the second one( i watched Grease just last week when it was on )
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, but I like both of them. Grease 2 is crap compared to the first one, but it is still quite an enjoyable film in its own right. Cheesy songs, cheesy acting, what is there *not* to love?! :D
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,109
    Forum Member
    I don't think I've ever considered Grease 2 better but I did enjoy it when I was a kid and couldn't really see what was so bad.

But then I watched it when I was older and I remained optimistic when it starts with the fabulous 'Back To School' song. But then things gradually descend into songs about bowling (though with the imaginative title 'Score Tonight' it's not hard to see the real meaning behind it) and then I'd given up hope when it gets to that incredibly annoying 'Do It For Our Country' song in the bomb shelter. *shudder*

A couple of other things that I remember greatly annoyed my Grease-obsessed sister - the T-Birds looking foolish with their leather jackets over their gym clothes and the Pink Ladies suddenly calling themselves "T-Bird chicks, at least 'til grad". When in the first film they came across as a group of bad-ass independent females who hooked up with a T-Bird because they wanted to, not becoming objects bound by some sort of rule.

I still like some of the songs...
    as I mentioned, Back To School
    Cool Rider
    Girl For All Seasons
    Who's That Guy? (me and my sister regularly break out into this one for a laugh, but no no no at the Scorpions singing a line)
    Reproduction (even though it's a bit silly)

Those, along with Michelle Pfeiffer as Stephanie, are the only things I enjoy from it nowadays. So shave it down to about 30 mins and it's a good film for me.
  • Options
    uzzybuzzyuzzybuzzy Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have loved Grease 2 since I was a child. I wouldn't say it was better than Grease, but I do prefer it. The songs are awesome. Cool Rider, Back to School and Girl for All Season are the highlights. Michelle Pfeiffer is brilliant too.
  • Options
    Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never compare the two. I love Grease but I consider Grease 2 a separate entity all together and judge it on it's own merits and overall it's pretty damn good.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    No. I'm not insane :p:D
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    Grease 2 is basically Grease 1 in reverse. The woman is the tough nut and the man is the out of town naive one. They even explain that he is Sandys's cousin!
  • Options
    TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alternative thread title: Have You Got Terrible Taste In Films?
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Grease 2 should be erased from history and be done with it, thank god grease 3 with britney spears and timberlake never got made.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nah, but it's enjoyable enough. Nothing is Grease 1 is as awesome as Adrian Zmed knee-sliding down a bowling lane straight at the camera whilst holding a ridiculously high pitched note.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Nah, but it's enjoyable enough. Nothing is Grease 1 is as awesome as Adrian Zmed knee-sliding down a bowling lane straight at the camera whilst holding a ridiculously high pitched note.

lol, i remember him in TJ Hooker , 80's series with Heather Lockyear and William Shatner

i do like Grease 2 but prefer Grease better..also Michelle Pffiffer and Maxwell Caulfield are hot together
  • Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone prefer Cocoon 2 to Cocoon 1? Well I do.
    I also prefer Toy Story 2, Terminator 2 as well as Before Sunset to Before Sunrise
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    also Michelle Pffiffer and Maxwell Caulfield are hot together
    They actually couldn't stand each other on set though. Don't think to this day they have ever kissed and made up.
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    They actually couldn't stand each other on set though. Don't think to this day they have ever kissed and made up.

Never heard that one and they seem rather happy together in these photos. Although I have heard that Maxwell Caufield is a douche.
  • Options
    Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely!

"coooooool rider a coo-coo-coo-coo rider I need a C-o-o-l- r-i-d-e-r"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grease 2 was uncalled for. What a load of rubbish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    Never heard that one and they seem rather happy together in these photos. Although I have heard that Maxwell Caulfield is a douche.
    That's a press event for the film. They were probably putting up with each other for the public's sake, much like they were whilst the cameras were rolling.
    From IMDb:-
    Michelle Pfeiffer and Maxwell Caulfield did not get along during filming. A few years after the film was released, Maxwell said in an interview that he and Michelle "got along infamously". Michelle stated in an interview that Maxwell was "self-adoring".
  • Options
    Judas82Judas82 Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    Grease is a classic and is possibly the best musical ever made.

However Grease 2 while not being in the same league as Grease has it's own charm. It definitely falls into the 'guilty pleasure' category for me.
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    I grew up as a kid watching Grease 2 thinking it was a stand alone film (I was obviously a slow child not understanding the '2' part :confused:) so when I was presented with Grease I thought it was boring and old fashioned in comparison to the cool Grease 2 kids. So yeah, I prefer it to Grease. Grease is the better film though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't say grease 2 is better, but like somebody else said, I definitely prefer it :) always loved the second one. Especially Michelle and Lorna as Stephanie and Paulette. Also the T-Birds were hilarious in the second one.
  • Options
    WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love both films. I can't decide which one I prefer as I like one more than the other depending on what mood I'm in.

Why did Frenchie disappear halfway through though? Wasn't her last scene the one where she watches Michael ride his new motorbike, from afar?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love both films. I can't decide which one I prefer as I like one more than the other depending on what mood I'm in.

Why did Frenchie disappear halfway through though? Wasn't her last scene the one where she watches Michael ride his new motorbike, from afar?

Hey, Frenchie's last scene in the second film was when the girls went to see her in the building doing chemistry, Michael is already there saying to Frenchie that he's going to reveal to steph that he's the mystery cool rider. As the girls walk in, one of them wind steph up and say 'your boyfriends here' because they already know that Michael as himself and not the cool rider, has a crush on Stephanie. Michael doesn't have the courage to tell her then though, so he ends up asking steph if she's ever read a superman comic to which steph replies (whilst looking in a pocket mirror, applying her red lipstick) 'not in the last few hours'
    Then he walks out. Rhonda has a bandage over her nose and Frenchie says 'Rhonda! You got a nose job?' Rhonda then says 'forget it. I walked into a door'
    Then I'm pretty sure that scene ends and that's the last we see of Frenchie.

I'm not sure why she just dissapeared at this point though.

Oh god. How sad am I!? I know this film word for word.
    :D
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Jones wrote: »
    Grease 2 was uncalled for. What a load of rubbish.

Well Iv tried a couple of times and have never been able to get past the first 30 minutes.
    If you watched Grease 2 as a child or young teen without having seen the first film then maybe you have an excuse for preferring it.

Im with you though-it shouldn't have been made-certainly not within 5 years. It could never match the enduring worldwide impact of the original which just worked on every level imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Well Iv tried a couple of times and have never been able to get past the first 30 minutes.
    If you watched Grease 2 as a child or young teen without having seen the first film then maybe you have an excuse for preferring it.

Im with you though-it shouldn't have been made-certainly not within 5 years. It could never match the enduring worldwide impact of the original which just worked on every level imo.

No I watched the original Grease first. My mum and dad and had recorded both the first and second one on a video tape and I became obsessed with them both.
    Originally I did love the first one more, but maybe I just watched it so much that I moved on to the second one.
    I had a total girl crush on Michelle Pfeiffer as the leading pink lady when I was younger.
    I do still love the first one. I have both Grease and Grease 2 as books, I have them both on DVD. I have fancy dress costumes for both films. So I don't dislike the first one.
    I'm not saying the second one is better, I just like it more. As someone else has said though, i think it may be the 80s vibe that makes me love it and of course Michelle Pfeiffer and Lorna Luft.

The thing is, is people are always saying it could never match the first one. That doesn't mean it should never of been made or that it's totally unwatchable. I feel people just don't want to let themselves love grease 2 because of their loyalty to the first one. Grease 2 is by no means an outstanding film, but it's definitely still entertaining to watch and doesn't deserve the flack it gets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why did Frenchy disappear halfway through?
    From the trivia page on IMDb for Grease 2:-
    In a 2003 interview, Didi Conn explained why her character, Frenchy, disappeared halfway into the movie. She said the script was not finished when they began filming, but the draft they were using still included Frenchy. The character was written out during filming, and she was told halfway through that she was no longer needed. The filmmakers ultimately decided to include Frenchy in the final cut, though they had limited footage. Didi described the filming process as "rushed, frantic, and unorganized".

There was a further scene filmed but cut from the film where Frenchy teaches Michael how to ride the motorcycle.