Would The Apprentice work without Mark Halliley?

george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
Forum Member
I was just thinking about it. Every series of The Apprentice, including Young Apprentice, the charity specials and even the Apprentice-themed edition of Weakest Link, has had Mark Halliley narrating. I don't think he's quite as recognisable as Marcus Bentley is on Big Brother, but I think that his voice has become pretty known for this show.

Imagine if you turned on Series 10 and someone else was doing it. Would you be disappointed? I think Halliley's narration certainly adds something to it.

Comments

• hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    It's quite distinctive to the program. I'm sure if you heard that voice on any other program, you'd think 'ooh that's the guy who narrates the Apprentice'. But, I don't think people watch the Apprentice because of their narrator :D
  • george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    It's quite distinctive to the program. I'm sure if you heard that voice on any other program, you'd think 'ooh that's the guy who narrates the Apprentice'. But, I don't think people watch the Apprentice because of their narrator :D

Oh yeah, I'd still watch it, totally. But I'd feel a bit disconcerted for a while if someone else took up the job. It would be like a clock that you've heard all your life suddenly stopping, or hiccups that vanish just when you get used to them.
  • sqwidge1978sqwidge1978 Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same with CDWM it wouldn't be the same without Dave Lamb, He is the only reason i wath CDWM
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Margaret was more essential to the show than the VO, and they replaced her fine. It's practically a different VO if you go back to series 1. Mark's good, he does his job well, but David Tennant could do it Twenty-Twelve style and I think people would quickly adapt.
  • george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    rwebster wrote: »
    Margaret was more essential to the show than the VO, and they replaced her fine. It's practically a different VO if you go back to series 1. Mark's good, he does his job well, but David Tennant could do it Twenty-Twelve style and I think people would quickly adapt.

In Series 1 he narrated it slightly more formally, but I disagree that it's 'practically a different VO'. It's exactly the same with Marcus Bentley on Big Brother if you go back and watch Series 1 - he sounds very different, but you can still tell it's him.