Paul McGann: 'There will be Five(ish) Doctors Reboot sequel'

Comments

• tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, god! NO! :o

What do they want to do that for? :confused: Wasn't interested in the first one. Won't be interested in this either.

Was only interested in Day of the Doctor plus the Eighth Doctor regeneration minisode.

May try to watch The Five-ish Doctors online, if it's there, somewhere. Just to say that I've seen it, that's all.
  • jxbrennajxbrenna Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think it should be a ensemble of Peter,Colin, Sylvester,Paul,David and Matt trying to get into a episode or perhaps try and do something for the Revival anniversary

I picture a scene of Matt going on the TARDIS set and making comments of how the new lighting is not "cool" like it was in his era
  • Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahhh Brilliant if true. .!!!!!!!!!! I loved the FD .ish ..reboot.

It was subversively funny and I loved Peter, Colin and Sylvester's dead pan humour. They were the verbal Who equivalent of the Marx Brothers.....
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »

What do they want to do that for? :confused: Wasn't interested in the first one. Won't be interested in this either.

Was only interested in Day of the Doctor plus the Eighth Doctor regeneration minisode.

May try to watch The Five-ish Doctors online, if it's there, somewhere. Just to say that I've seen it, that's all.

Totally disagree. It was 100, no a 1000 times better and funnier than the 50th Anniversary story and was the most funniest thing I've seen in ages.

By the way, how can you say there shouldn't be a sequel when you haven't even watched the first one yet? :confused:

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i loved the 5(ish) doctors, almost the best bit of the anniversary .

it was very cool.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,924
    Forum Member
    It was brilliant, especially for longtime fans of the 20th century series.
    It was certainly one of the highlights of the 50th anniversary for me.
    I'm not so sure that a sequel is a good idea though.
    "Quit while you're ahead and leave them wanting more" is a good philosophy.
    I do find it hard to imagine that a follow-up would be as good as the original, but I'm quite prepared to eat humble pie if and when I'm proved wrong!
  • BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    I agree that Fish was very nearly the highlight of the Anniversary festivities.

But I really don't see how a sequel would work...
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had goodwill for the Fish for the first few minutes, but thought it was seriously padded at half an hour. The main joke wore thin very quickly indeed.

I like caricatures of real people when they're done well (such as Curb Your Enthusiasm and Extras) but Fish was more along the lines of an extended Comic Relief or Children in Need sketch. I half-expected Smiffy from Gavin & Stacey to put in an appearance.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found the whole thing terribly overrated. A Children in Need sketch elevated beyond its status. The joke was stretched to breaking point the first time. A second would just be embarrassing. We are awaiting a brand new season of Doctor Who with one of the finest actors these isles has ever produced. Quite why anyone would get excited about Colin Baker and friends taking a break from panto to make some bad comedy is beyond me.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found the whole thing terribly overrated. A Children in Need sketch elevated beyond its status. The joke was stretched to breaking point the first time. A second would just be embarrassing. We are awaiting a brand new season of Doctor Who with one of the finest actors these isles has ever produced. Quite why anyone would get excited about Colin Baker and friends taking a break from panto to make some bad comedy is beyond me.

That's your opinion, though.

I don't think I'd say the joke was stretched at all, I thought it was maintained as a funny constant throughout. I also disagree it was a CIN sketch beyond it's status or overrated. If anything, it was the 50th Anniversary story itself which is overrated

And I certainly disagree it was bad comedy. Compared to some of the feeble attempts at humour in modern day comedy shows these days, it done very well. I think sometimes people take the regular show a bit too seriously and they should lighten up and enjoy a lighter of the Series for once.

The way I see it, nobody forced Davison and Co to do the show or any of the other actors to take part. Clearly it must have been a well written script or they would have laughed it of. Instead they embraced it and made it the success it was.

• Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the part where Colin Baker locks his whole family in the house and forces them to watch his DVDs.

A Paul McGann one sounds like it could be fun, although I don't know what it could focus on.

The fact that he's only had two on screen appearances? Ironically a full length movie and a short collectively.

A lot of people were saying he should have his own spin off series during the anniversary, so maybe that'll be the story.
  • QuantumLeapQuantumLeap Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [/B]
    The way I see it, nobody forced Davison and Co to do the show or any of the other actors to take part. Clearly it must have been a well written script or they would have laughed it of. Instead they embraced it and made it the success it was.

Davison wrote it and it wasn't originally part of the BBC's official celebrations.

Personally I loved it and the tone and humour was set perfectly. It was a light hearted comedy, poking fun at Moffat and the BBC for not having classic Doctors in the 50th Anniversary Special.

I can't see how a sequel will work, but I'm sure it will fun all the same.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Davison wrote it and it wasn't originally part of the BBC's official celebrations.
    Yeah, and the reason McGann's role was so small was because he actually was already taking part in the official celebrations (though we didn't know that yet, so I wonder if the other Doctors knew?), therefore the plot of trying to make a cameo in the anniversary was moot for him. 5, 6, 7 and 8 is only four of the Doctors of course, the fifth I'd guess was David Tennant, who cameoed, but only in his real life role as Peter's son-in-law. Hence the ish. It was really only about three Doctors.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.

4(-ish), 5, 6, 7, 8(-ish)

;)
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally disagree. It was 100, no a 1000 times better and funnier than the 50th Anniversary story and was the most funniest thing I've seen in ages.

By the way, how can you say there shouldn't be a sequel when you haven't even watched the first one yet? :confused:

I have seen bits, and what I have seen leaves a lot to be desired. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

#invalid
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, if you've seen the bits where relatives and current/recent Doctor Who staff try to avoid Peter, Colin and Sylvester, then you've pretty much seen all you need. Most of the remainder is just repetition of the same joke until...
    Peter avoids RTD's phone call. The punchline is the ex-showrunner is even more sad and desperate than the ex-Doctors.
    That's pretty much it.
  • jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first five(ish) reboot was enjoyable. I'm not entirely sure how a sequel would work, but I'm looking forward to finding out.
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Them trying to convince Capaldi to let them into Series 8 perhaps? Otherwise i have no clue how it would work without failing to achieve what made the original so great...!
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They could do a version of Galaxy Quest.

An alien race is in trouble and after picking up the TV Signals decide to come and get help from the Doctor thinking he is real.

Of course only the Classic Series (plus the TVM) signals have reached their planet so they don't bother picking up the War Doc and Docs 9 plus.

Tom can get lost in the Teleport beam with only Docs 5 - 8 making it onto the alien ship.

So we end up with the actors playing themselves trying to be the Doctor. :D
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member
    If it's as good as the first one, I'm all for it. :)

The humour in the first one was not restricted to repetition over and over of one gag and one punch line. That's a misrepresentation.

Mainly it was the real people, involved in Doctor Who past and present, gently taking the mickey out of themselves. It was charming. It was "just a bit of fun" and a real present to the fans who would "get" the in-jokes and references.

It was one of the highlights of the 50th anniversary celebrations.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was wonderful so if the auteur extraordinaire Peter Davison can come up with another good concept, I'd be very happy to see a sequel. If it wins a Hugo I'll be laughing my head off.

(Yes, I know that is a bit unlikely.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    I thought it was brilliant. I howled when we see inside Barrowman's car.

Yes, more please!
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    Yeah, and the reason McGann's role was so small was because he actually was already taking part in the official celebrations (though we didn't know that yet, so I wonder if the other Doctors knew?), therefore the plot of trying to make a cameo in the anniversary was moot for him. 5, 6, 7 and 8 is only four of the Doctors of course, the fifth I'd guess was David Tennant, who cameoed, but only in his real life role as Peter's son-in-law. Hence the ish. It was really only about three Doctors.

McGann said at a convention recently, that when the 5ish was filmed he didn't actually know he was going to be in the official one. It was originally intended to be just a joke about him always being busy!
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member

Isn't it a little presumptive to criticise something you haven't even bothered to watch?

You missed out - it was great. Apart from NOTD one of the best bits of the 50th celebrations IMO. But then I've always preferred Classic Who to be honest.