The DS Apprentice - Team Aptitude

Comments

• george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    xKatieLx wrote: »
    Hi Team Aptitude. Well done on the presentation. I like the idea and I like that you've included the social media aspect of sending lifes / tries. ;-);-) I also like the amount of different versions and levels which you've created. I have two questions

1. Whilst I understand your logo is there to design mystery by not including the name of your game on the logo how will it encourage people to download your game With all due respect it could be any keyhole.

2. Do you think that you should've offered something like a free trial period or a free attempt at the first level in your idea to raise and promote awareness of your game to help it in the long term?

That said, I really like this team's game and the game is the main thing. :)

The game generally is free. Any turnover will be provided by charging for add-ons, clues, extra lives, gadgets that may help and any other additional feature that we may offer.
  • xKatieLxxKatieLx Posts: 4,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This would be the thing that would be on the home screen of the iPhone. The name would be underneath it. The logo would have the writing on it. Hope that helps :kitty:
    The game generally is free. Any turnover will be provided by charging for add-ons, clues, extra lives, gadgets that may help and any other additional feature that we may offer.

Thanks guys for the answers. I read that in the pitch as "the game will cost 69-99p" and not the gadget. Clearly I can't read lol. :kitty:

I've sent my vote to Niall. Good luck. :)
    Forum Member
    xKatieLx wrote: »
    Thanks guys for the answers. I read that in the pitch as "the game will cost 69-99p" and not the gadget. Clearly I can't read lol. :kitty:

I've sent my vote to Niall. Good luck. :)

Thanks for the support. Much appreciated :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the support. Much appreciated :)

Echoed :D
  • jackel1234jackel1234 Posts: 5,218
    Forum Member
    Hey Team Aptitude

My main question is basically surrounding the game in general. You see as an avid gamer and puzzle fanatic I know how many of these games are already out there and also how many games are actually like this in nature. Some of the games have something new to it which makes it more unique and interesting but with this game I personally don't see anything which hasn't been done before. Professor Layton is probably the best example of a puzzle game doing something unique and different, so my question is what actually makes your game any different compared to all the others out there?

Looks forward to the reply :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackel1234 wrote: »
    Hey Team Aptitude

My main question is basically surrounding the game in general. You see as an avid gamer and puzzle fanatic I know how many of these games are already out there and also how many games are actually like this in nature. Some of the games have something new to it which makes it more unique and interesting but with this game I personally don't see anything which hasn't been done before. Professor Layton is probably the best example of a puzzle game doing something unique and different, so my question is what actually makes your game any different compared to all the others out there?

Looks forward to the reply :)

Thank you for the question. We feel that whilst our puzzles in themselves are maybe not particularly original and progressive puzzle games are fairly common the dual multiplayer and social media side makes this game very unique and different. Also this is just a sample of the mini-games that will be available in the game - we've had 2 days for this and so obviously the next step would be to create more mini-games and some which are a bit more original. I hope that answers your question.
  • TheAuburnEnigmaTheAuburnEnigma Posts: 17,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Aptitude, good pitch you've got there even if the first post was a little difficult to read.

I liked seeing that you've included some of the suggestions that I made on the questionnaire, and you've allayed most of my concerns that I had about the game.

I want to ask you about the safes themselves: in the first post you stated that for every 10 puzzles you complete, 1 safe out of 30 would be unlocked. Later on in the pitch, you mentioned 'layers' and 'the centre' - how are these 2 bits of information connected? Could you possibly elaborate on that for me please?

Also, I'm not entirely sure on how well the advert would translate - before the voiceover, the advert is apparently silent. Have you got any background music going on, or is the silence deliberate?

Other than that, I can see this game becoming quite addictive. I probably wouldn't play it myself, but I can see a lot of people wanting to play it :)
  • NarutoFan100NarutoFan100 Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Aptitude, good pitch you've got there even if the first post was a little difficult to read.

I liked seeing that you've included some of the suggestions that I made on the questionnaire, and you've allayed most of my concerns that I had about the game.

I want to ask you about the safes themselves: in the first post you stated that for every 10 puzzles you complete, 1 safe out of 30 would be unlocked. Later on in the pitch, you mentioned 'layers' and 'the centre' - how are these 2 bits of information connected? Could you possibly elaborate on that for me please?

Also, I'm not entirely sure on how well the advert would translate - before the voiceover, the advert is apparently silent. Have you got any background music going on, or is the silence deliberate?

Other than that, I can see this game becoming quite addictive. I probably wouldn't play it myself, but I can see a lot of people wanting to play it :)

Hi Amy, i hope to clarify the bolded part. :)

Single Player Mode will involve the puzzle levels in a series needing to be completed e.g. Level 1, Level 2 and so on. There will be a set of thirty safes to begin with, with one safe opening of your choice after ten puzzles have been completed. You get coins to buy Gadgets etc and EXP to level up.

Team CO-OP mode and Battle Mode will involve the actual breaking into a safe. 6 puzzles in 6 minutes. Each puzzle completed will allow you to 'break through a layer' and reach the contents of the safe more easily. Only when you have completed the last puzzle will you obtain the contents.

I hope that has clarified it.
    Forum Member

Hi Amy

I designed the advert, and I did think about the background but I forgot to refer to it in the description, so apologies for that. I was envisioning it starting off almost silent, and gradually for slow and suspenseful music to build in the background, but it wouldn't be especially loud.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks Amy. Yes, sorry I was copy and pasting from a word document and just assumed it had transferred ok. I was in a rush to get home - long story. :blush: As for your questions my colleagues are on it :)
  • aliyah101aliyah101 Posts: 13,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Team Aptitude, lovely pitch and your game sounds amazing indeed.

Just a question in regards to the actual content of the game. Ok, whilst reading your pitch, it had to go back and re-read the instructions to fully grasp how the game works. Now, are there any games in the same market that you could compare this app to in regards to the complexity? A part of me feels as though this game idea is more suited to a Nintendo game or a Play station game opposed to a smartphone app , I mean how much memory would you intend a game like this to take up in ones phone?

Second question, re: Team "Co-op", now as we know The Supermarket chain "Cop-op" is a branded name, are you not worried they may suit you for copywright and so on?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aliyah101 wrote: »

Just a question in regards to the actual content of the game. Ok, whilst reading your pitch, it had to go back and re-read the instructions to fully grasp how the game works. Now, are there any games in the same market that you could compare this app to in regards to the complexity? A part of me feels as though this game idea is more suited to a Nintendo game or a Play station game opposed to a smartphone app , I mean how much memory would you intend a game like this to take up in ones phone?

Second question, re: Team "Co-op", now as we know The Supermarket chain "Cop-op" is a branded name, are you not worried they may suit you for copywright and so on?
    CO-OP is simply short for Co-operate/Co-operative, it is not unusual for the abbreviation to be used within games and as we would be steering clear of their well known logo we would not be in any infringement of copyright. I hope that answers your question, one of my colleagues will attempt to answer your first question.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hi, i will be answering the bit in bold.

The game won't be as complex as the explanation may make it out to be. The puzzles themselves are quite simple and easy to understand the rules for and would definitely suit a smartphone. I would compare the Single Player mode to that of the Candy Crush Saga where levels have to be completed, the only difference being that Safes are open at intervals rewarding the player.

Regarding the memory, it wouldn't take more than a average multiplayer gaming app. The graphics won't be as intense as other apps like intense first person shooters or hardcore driving games so we definitely feel it will safely meet the memory requirements.
  • TheAuburnEnigmaTheAuburnEnigma Posts: 17,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Amy, i hope to clarify the bolded part. :)

Single Player Mode will involve the puzzle levels in a series needing to be completed e.g. Level 1, Level 2 and so on. There will be a set of thirty safes to begin with, with one safe opening of your choice after ten puzzles have been completed. You get coins to buy Gadgets etc and EXP to level up.

Team CO-OP mode and Battle Mode will involve the actual breaking into a safe. 6 puzzles in 6 minutes. Each puzzle completed will allow you to 'break through a layer' and reach the contents of the safe more easily. Only when you have completed the last puzzle will you obtain the contents.

I hope that has clarified it.

Thanks Naruto, I saw that the 30 safes part was mentioned for single player mode, but there was nothing about the 'break through a layer' etc in the descriptions of the multi-player modes. Add to this from Arran's post - "You can use these mini-games to unlock a layer, and get to the centre of the safe. And obviously, the harder games will be closer to the centre", and no wonder I got confused! I think you could have included this clarification within your pitch, and maybe not gone into so much detail on the mini-games.
    Hi Amy

I designed the advert, and I did think about the background but I forgot to refer to it in the description, so apologies for that. I was envisioning it starting off almost silent, and gradually for slow and suspenseful music to build in the background, but it wouldn't be especially loud.

Thanks George, I did wonder! What sort of slow and suspenseful music were you thinking of? Something along the lines of 'O Fortuna', or the Jaws theme? (These might seem like odd examples, but I'd like to be able to visualise the complete advert in my head)
  • aliyah101aliyah101 Posts: 13,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, i will be answering the bit in bold.

The game won't be as complex as the explanation may make it out to be. The puzzles themselves are quite simple and easy to understand the rules for and would definitely suit a smartphone. I would compare the Single Player mode to that of the Candy Crush Saga where levels have to be completed, the only difference being that Safes are open at intervals rewarding the player.

Regarding the memory, it wouldn't take more than a average multiplayer gaming app. The graphics won't be as intense as other apps like intense first person shooters or hardcore driving games so we definitely feel it will safely meet the memory requirements.

Thanks for the response :).

I guess the memory aspect does concern me, wouldn't programming such a game take up huge memory - too much on a normal smartphone? And wouldn't there be huge costs involved in terms of programming with all these different mini games - that would be so much to program in terms of graphics and events?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the response :).

I guess the memory aspect does concern me, wouldn't programming such a game take up huge memory - too much on a normal smartphone? And wouldn't there be huge costs involved in terms of programming with all these different mini games - that would be so much to program in terms of graphics and events?

Hi, there are a lot of current apps which incorporate much more puzzles/minigames than we plan for The Safe and all of which work perfectly well in terms of memory and processing as well as running on a smart phone.

An example being :
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/101-in-1-games-!/id458068537?mt=8

This app includes 143 minigames as of today so we can say that The Safe wouldn't overexceed the memory limit as it wouldn't include as much, and would definitely be able to be programmed with the graphics we would desire.
    Forum Member
    Thanks George, I did wonder! What sort of slow and suspenseful music were you thinking of? Something along the lines of 'O Fortuna', or the Jaws theme? (These might seem like odd examples, but I'd like to be able to visualise the complete advert in my head)

If I'm honest, I didn't think about it in that much detail. The examples that you gave I think are probably a little bit heavy for what I have in mind. I was thinking of one continuous note, possibly rising and falling slightly, with perhaps some kind of click when the lights get more full-on. But definitely quite soft - I want the music to add suspense without being too intense, as the focus has to be on the visual and not the sound.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, there are a lot of current apps which incorporate much more puzzles/minigames than we plan for The Safe and all of which work perfectly well in terms of memory and processing as well as running on a smart phone.

An example being :
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/101-in-1-games-!/id458068537?mt=8

This app includes 143 minigames as of today so we can say that The Safe wouldn't overexceed the memory limit as it wouldn't include as much, and would definitely be able to be programmed with the graphics we would desire.

I would also point out that candy crush saga has well over 1000 individual puzzles (albeit the same sort of puzzle each time) and that is 58.6MB so I would say there would be little danger of memory problems and the rate technology is improving even if some current phones struggled in a few months tie there will be plenty of fresh new phones that would easily accommodate our app.
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi guys, first of all, really impressed by your game idea, it sounds like something I can see myself playing.

I must admit that I, like Aliyah had to re-read the instructions and I'm still not entirely sure on the 'break a layer' thing . Considering that you appear to have quite an elaborate game designed, how do you feel this will translate to the app market? As you can see from successful games such as Flappy Bird, Doodle Jump and Candy Crush, the most successful apps are very simplistic but addictive games. Do you not think there are too many twists, rules and generally just too much content for the casual market to really pick it up?
    Forum Member
    unclekevo wrote: »
    Hi guys, first of all, really impressed by your game idea, it sounds like something I can see myself playing.

I must admit that I, like Aliyah had to re-read the instructions and I'm still not entirely sure on the 'break a layer' thing . Considering that you appear to have quite an elaborate game designed, how do you feel this will translate to the app market? As you can see from successful games such as Flappy Bird, Doodle Jump and Candy Crush, the most successful apps are very simplistic but addictive games. Do you not think there are too many twists, rules and generally just too much content for the casual market to really pick it up?

Hi Kevin, thanks for your question.

I don't think there actually are that many rules and twists if you don't mind my saying so. Perhaps the pitch made it seem like there were more than there actually were, but the basic format of the game is actually extremely simple - get to the middle of a safe by playing a number of increasingly difficult mini-games. There isn't necessarily any kind of storyline that you need to understand for it. The mini-games are what will make this game addictive, and as you correctly point out, simplicity works best in this market. The game may come across as very elaborate, but actually it has the simplicity factor in it, whilst also having the benefit of being completely unpredictable as you never know what mini-games will come up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unclekevo wrote: »

Hi Kevin, thanks for your question.

I don't think there actually are that many rules and twists if you don't mind my saying so. Perhaps the pitch made it seem like there were more than there actually were, but the basic format of the game is actually extremely simple - get to the middle of a safe by playing a number of increasingly difficult mini-games. There isn't necessarily any kind of storyline that you need to understand for it. The mini-games are what will make this game addictive, and as you correctly point out, simplicity works best in this market. The game may come across as very elaborate, but actually it has the simplicity factor in it, whilst also having the benefit of being completely unpredictable as you never know what mini-games will come up.

So the original idea was that each mini-game represented a layer of security but I think that got lost a bit in the pitch.
  • xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    Love the idea.
    All i wanted to know is would there be room to add more levels as time goes on. And also would you offer an ad free version. For a small cost of 69p or 99p.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xNATILLYx wrote: »
    Love the idea.
    All i wanted to know is would there be room to add more levels as time goes on. And also would you offer an ad free version. For a small cost of 69p or 99p.

Thanks. Yes the plan would very much be for additional levels and new mini-games to be added over time - I believe we touched on this in our pitch, sorry if it wasn't clear enough. We didn't really discuss this but we could easily build in a small monthly subscription fee to get the app ad free, alternately we could also have an ad free app which we charge for and probably would be in the £1.00-1.50 range (which would be a one off charge), I understand that this is higher end for puzzle games in particular but I think the uniqueness of the app would mean that people were still willing to pay this much for an ad free version. Hope that answers your question. :)
  • xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    Thanks. Yes the plan would very much be for additional levels and new mini-games to be added over time - I believe we touched on this in our pitch, sorry if it wasn't clear enough. We didn't really discuss this but we could easily build in a small monthly subscription fee to get the app ad free, alternately we could also have an ad free app which we charge for and probably would be in the £1.00-1.50 range (which would be a one off charge), I understand that this is higher end for puzzle games in particular but I think the uniqueness of the app would mean that people were still willing to pay this much for an ad free version. Hope that answers your question. :)

Thanks , yes it does.
    Good luck :)
  • dylanpartyondylanpartyon Posts: 11,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi guys, y'all also have an interesting idea, got some questions aswell.

Firstly, on co-op. Is there much of a market for that on Smartphones. I am well adapt to apps, but when I play a game on my phone, I'm just doing it to play alone and stuff. If I wanted to play as a team I'd boot up my pc or PS. Also in regards to the co-op, is there going to be any balancing for players. Will people who are just starting to be playing team up with people who know how to play it well. And finally do you expect for them to communicate at all. If one person is having a hard time, they may need help. Is there a chat feature included or are they expected to be alone.

And secondly, you gave an example of another app with multiple games. But what will make me download your game over that one. As someone who isn't interested in the coperative side of the game, what is going to make me buy this app of games, over any other app with multiple games???