Options

Did you like Man of Steel?

Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just wanted to conduct this poll because one year later I can't quite gauge how this movie was received by mainstream audiences. I think it's safe to say the critics didn't but not sure about the public.

Did you like Man of Steel? 63 votes

Yes
65% 41 votes
No
34% 22 votes

Comments

• Options
    deano0501deano0501 Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said no, because...

had I seen it without knowing anything about the Superman lore, I would've probably loved it. It had most things I enjoy from a summer blockbuster; bit of sci-fi, classic good vs evil characters and things going BOOM!

But... because I know the story of Superman well enough, this version strayed too much from the one most people are familiar with. While I wasn't looking for a scene by scene remake, some aspects and ideas were just too weird i.e. flying dinosaurs on Krypton?! And the Kryptonians being so technologically advanced that they can travel interstellar distances etc. but continued to mine their own world to the point that it collapsed in on itself?!?! And Jonathan Kent dying in a tornado (wtf!) when Clark could've quite easily saved him without anyone actually realising what was going on in the ongoing state of panic.
    It passed a couple of hours at the cinema but I haven't watched it since, and left me a bit blasé about this new franchise really.
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Yes, I loved it....... But I can see why others didn't.

It really did some strange things with the Superverse that shouldn't have been done, especially what happened at the end (you know what I'm referring to), shruB agree that Jonathon Kent's demise was beyond stupid, but I don't mind films straying from the source material, in fact I welcome it.

The film itself, it looked good, great characters (villains make a superhero movie great, rather than the hero), and the fighting really gave the impression that they were super strong. A lot of people didn't like that Metropilis was in bits at the end of the film but that's what should happen when two super powered aliens are fighting each other.

But that's not Superman, right? He should have taken the fight away from the city? Too right he should have, and I think that will be a focal point of the next film. Maybe Batman will pull him to the side and tell him that.

Superman doesn't kill? same story as the above. This will be dealt with next film. It was his first outing and he has to learn all these life lessons, and he will.

And I thought Krypton was excellent. We've not seen it before so a lot of time there was welcomed.

So again, I loved it but I can see why some people didn't like it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i hated it when i first watched it but ended up enjoying it second time round when i knew what to expect. I still have absolutely not hope for the batman v superman film or justice league, and i've been waiting since the age of 5 to see those films.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    This is what I wrote at the time
    I've just watched this and it didn't really feel like a superman film.

The start was like a cross between star wars and avatar.
    Then the snow scenes were a bit like th x files.

then it just turned into an action scifi aliens v earth average film.

A couple of the above posts put it better.
    If I was going to vote it would be for an ok superhero/sci-fi movie but not a great superman film.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No like all the superhero movies of late, a load of rubbish with the very odd exception.

The Batman franchise is the only superhero movies they seem to get right (Nolan/Burton's versions anyway).

Batman v Superman what a joke, but it will be a hit.
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, there was far too much brainless action in the last third of the film for me to be happy with it. I definitely won't be watching the sequel, which seems more like a possible Justice League primer.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it for the most part, but during the last 30 minutes or so I was checking my watch and waiting for it to end. Just a bit too much mindless action.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    I'm not into these types of movies. but i do seem to watch them. i quite liked it actually i thought i'd hate it but i didn't. decent film
  • Options
    Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it's probably the first superhero film I've not enjoyed in a long time.

I'm interested to see the sequel though, since Batman will be in it.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    I liked it a lot, but I suppose Snyder's full-on approach wasn't going to find favour with all.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    I enjoyed it for the most part, but during the last 30 minutes or so I was checking my watch and waiting for it to end. Just a bit too much mindless action.

That's what a Snyder film usually does to me.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes, enjoyed it alot and look forward to more movies set in this universe
  • Options
    Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it - my favourite comic book movie since First Class.

Love the music especially - really fits well with the film
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't like it, didn't dislike it. I enjoy the genre, but can't see me watching this one again.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    That's what a Snyder film usually does to me.

That's what all Snyder films do.
  • Options
    computermastercomputermaster Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well no not really. It was Cavill that didn't really sell it for me. He just didn't have the charisma to pull it off. I also think that the whole formula with Lois and the daily planet is getting tired.

I like how the tv show Smallville presented a whole new take on the storyline. That was until season 8 when they stupidly tried to align it to the generic crap we've seen over and over again (daily planet, cringeworthy banter with Lois, dual identity, etc...)
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    Nope

It was a complete and total mess.
  • Options
    InTheLoopInTheLoop Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    disappointing

the last 45-1 hr was hopeless, action scene after stupid action scene
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow. Still so mixed after all this time.
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So disappointed. I thought Cavill was great but there weren't enough 'human' touches in it, and there was way too much CGI.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Voted yes, Iv'e watched it a few times now and whilst agreeing that Jonathons death was pretty pointless and that Clark could easily have saved him, the film improves on multiple viewings. As for the argument that Superman should not have caused so much devistation in Metropolis, what was the guy supposed to do. "Hey Zod, lets not destroy this nice city but slug it out in the middle of nowhere so no one gets hurt and no property gets destroyed" " Why thats a good idea Kal El, lets go fight it out in the middle of the desert instead" Unlikely don't you think ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Adored it. Just what I wanted a modern take on Superman to be. Watched it loads of times.

More please!