Options

Grey's Anatomy Diva (Katherine Heigl)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,794
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Katherine Heigl has bugged me for some time now, but she really has gone a bit far now. She should be thankful to have such a job in this industry. She already fought for more money.

I would like her to be fired, maybe that is what she is trying to do to herself.

http://ca.tv.yahoo.com/show/36657/news/urn:newsml:tv.reuters.com:20080612:heigl_dc__ER:11998

Comments

• Options
    The DaneThe Dane Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    I think it's about time someone didn't just comply with the "rules of the game". It may not always be something you can agree with, but at least Heigl stays true to herself.
    I think she is grateful, but I see it as an example of someone, who would rather get an award when she deserves it, than when she doesn't.
    It's a bit like being a sportsperson. I would rather win knowing it's because I'm the best, and not because I took juuuust the right amount of doping. But I might be pretty much the only one with that point of view:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    who said she wasn't grateful? I think it's good of her to say 'I don't think i really deserve it' and give someone else a chance. So many awards have become about popularity rather than recognising talent, it sort of defeats the purpose when they give out awards to people who haven't earned them just because they're the current 'it girl' or whatever. I do like her as an actress but Katherine has a point, Izzie wasn't in the last series of Gray's as much as the other characters, so maybe the award should go to someone who has earned it a little more.
  • Options
    GoldilocksGoldilocks Posts: 7,349
    Forum Member
    piper333 wrote: »
    Katherine Heigl has bugged me for some time now, but she really has gone a bit far now. She should be thankful to have such a job in this industry. She already fought for more money.

I would like her to be fired, maybe that is what she is trying to do to herself.

http://ca.tv.yahoo.com/show/36657/news/urn:newsml:tv.reuters.com:20080612:heigl_dc__ER:11998

There is absolutely nothing wrong with fighting for more money. .....after all its something we all do in our own jobs at the end of year reviews, when applying for a new job etc. Granted the amounts vary massively but the idea is the same.
    At no stage has she acted like a diva or some one who didn't appreciate her job. She has done nothing to deserve being fired and I think was rather brave to take herself out of the running for an Emmy.
  • Options
    MollieMMollieM Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    But she's not taking a stand and saying she's not good enough, she's saying the writers weren't up to scratch.

"I did not feel that I was given the material this season to warrant an Emmy nomination"

"In addition, I did not want to potentially take away an opportunity from an actress who was given such materials."

That seems really unneccessary - hasn't one of the writers already said they messed up last season? Why would you wade in and criticise them, especially since it is an award winning show and it seems to be the show that launched her, got her noticed and now enables her to command a massive salary in movies.

I find that really arrogant.
  • Options
    The DaneThe Dane Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    That's not how I perceived it at all.

I understood it as if she hadn't been given material that demanded something of her as an actress.

I didn't for one minute think that she was criticizing the quality of the writers' work.
  • Options
    scoobyju1scoobyju1 Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, it didn't seem she was taking a swipe at the writers. She was being honest & withdrawing herself from the competition, she's hardly likely to say she thought she was $hit was she!!!? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MollieM wrote: »
    But she's not taking a stand and saying she's not good enough, she's saying the writers weren't up to scratch.

"I did not feel that I was given the material this season to warrant an Emmy nomination"

"In addition, I did not want to potentially take away an opportunity from an actress who was given such materials."

That seems really unneccessary - hasn't one of the writers already said they messed up last season? Why would you wade in and criticise them, especially since it is an award winning show and it seems to be the show that launched her, got her noticed and now enables her to command a massive salary in movies.

I find that really arrogant.

That was not my reading of it at all.
    The Dane wrote: »
    That's not how I perceived it at all.

I understood it as if she hadn't been given material that demanded something of her as an actress.

I didn't for one minute think that she was criticizing the quality of the writers' work.

I'm with you on this. I read the article as Katherine saying that she wasn't involved in Grey's as much as some others last year and I actually admire her for saying that.
  • Options
    MollieMMollieM Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I see what you're saying and I didn't think of it that way. However, GA has widely been panned recently I believe, they've acknowledged it themselves. So, by saying that she wasn't given the 'material' I don't think she meant she wasn't given enough etc, but more that as they've acknowledged it wasn't decent she is reiterating that and pulling out. Personally I think it's a silly thing to say - bit like kicking someone when they're down. But fair play, I can see it both ways.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love her, Izzy is one of the best characters on Grey's.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MollieM wrote: »
    Yeah, I see what you're saying and I didn't think of it that way. However, GA has widely been panned recently I believe, they've acknowledged it themselves. So, by saying that she wasn't given the 'material' I don't think she meant she wasn't given enough etc, but more that as they've acknowledged it wasn't decent she is reiterating that and pulling out. Personally I think it's a silly thing to say - bit like kicking someone when they're down. But fair play, I can see it both ways.

Not since the writers strike, the last several episodes had critics raving again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goldilocks wrote: »
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with fighting for more money. .....after all its something we all do in our own jobs at the end of year reviews, when applying for a new job etc. Granted the amounts vary massively but the idea is the same.
    At no stage has she acted like a diva or some one who didn't appreciate her job. She has done nothing to deserve being fired and I think was rather brave to take herself out of the running for an Emmy.

I guess i did read this wrong, perhaps because I don't like her so much anymore. it is noble to remove herself as it was for Oprah who kept winning, and now perhaps Ellen should. I do love Ellen though.

as far as the money, i don't have a problem with renegotiating, but there was talk of filming stopping when she hadn't agreed. i'm sorry, but this isn't the days when celebs made 15-30 grand an episode, some have gotten as much as a million, which i find utterly ridiculous. no one should be making that kind of money when other "regular" people in your country are starving. i will never understand that. i know she doesn't make that much, but there are really noble professions out there that save lives and help people and acting isn't one of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I guess i did read this wrong, perhaps because I don't like her so much anymore. it is noble to remove herself as it was for Oprah who kept winning, and now perhaps Ellen should. I do love Ellen though.

as far as the money, i don't have a problem with renegotiating, but there was talk of filming stopping when she hadn't agreed. i'm sorry, but this isn't the days when celebs made 15-30 grand an episode, some have gotten as much as a million, which i find utterly ridiculous. no one should be making that kind of money when other "regular" people in your country are starving. i will never understand that. i know she doesn't make that much, but there are really noble professions out there that save lives and help people and acting isn't one of them.

I'm 100% behind you on that one. Compare doctors, nurses, care attendants, teachers, fire men, policemen (and women in all cases too:)) all of whom we rely on for our education, health, safety and they get paid a pittance compared to actors, footballers etc who serve to entertain some of us some of the time. Talk about getting priorities the wrong way round eh?:(
  • Options
    Mrs CMrs C Posts: 1,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved GA when it first strated but now can't bear to watch it...

It's inconceivable that every hot bloke in 40 miles radius is irrestitably drawn to Meredith who is the wettest character on tv and dull...McDreamy and McVet?? Come on! And the hottest woman in the series was Addison (big mistake McDreamy)..

And don't get me started on irritating George and Princess Izzie

I love Sandra Oh and her relationship with Burke (am I the only one who is sorry he's left..?) and I love Bailey but the rest are just annoying...
  • Options
    EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member
    Good for her for being honest. It will be her receiving or not receiving the Emmy at the end of the day so it's up to her whether she wants to be nominated or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethereal wrote: »
    Good for her for being honest. It will be her receiving or not receiving the Emmy at the end of the day so it's up to her whether she wants to be nominated or not.

true, but if i was the producer who gave her the break to catapult her in to stardom and a part of the writing team i would feel like it was a slap in the face.

this is a group ensemble show it's not the Izzy Stevens show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goldilocks wrote: »
    I'm 100% behind you on that one. Compare doctors, nurses, care attendants, teachers, fire men, policemen (and women in all cases too:)) all of whom we rely on for our education, health, safety and they get paid a pittance compared to actors, footballers etc who serve to entertain some of us some of the time. Talk about getting priorities the wrong way round eh?:(

true and I guess I too feel actors that have a hit show and get movies should just be bloody grateful. the difference between an actor in hit show and one who isn't is one thing
    A BIG BREAK. their are literally hundreds of thousands in this profession who are extremely talented but are unemployed.
  • Options
    gemmaovwales03gemmaovwales03 Posts: 7,183
    Forum Member
    She's made the right decision about this one as much as I like her she doesn't deserve that Emmy over other actresses this time. The writers have ruined her character after the Denny storyline and has only now started to sort it out. She hasn't been given the best material since the beginning of season 3. I guess she compared it to the material given to Sandra Oh, Chandra Wilson etc and just thought about how embarrassed she would have been if she had got the award over them. I hope ABC don't shoot themselves in the foot and stick by her on this one because they will end up losing a fine actress. All the cast fought for extra money when they were offered the new contracts (it happens in every profession and lets be honest if you were in her position and there was a chance to negotiate a huge pay rise like her's you would do it). At one point the media were reporting that T.R Knight, Katherine and Isaiah Washington were leaving because they were the last few to agree deals. They were all given more money not just Katherine. The media seems to have it in for her lately I think it started around the time Isaiah Washington was a prat and Katherine was the only one with the balls to stand up to him publicly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    My view is well done Katherine for making the decision and well done for also releasing the statement.

If she hadn't done this and ended up winning the Emmy (based on reputation etc) then she would be the one critised as being unworthy this year.

Last years Emmy was well deserved, but from the episodes i've seen this season (pre and post strike) the show and all the actors have been slightly off the boil.

Hopefully this will open up the position for a nomination of one of the many good actresses on less prominent shows.
  • Options
    Ja'mie KingJa'mie King Posts: 8,445
    Forum Member

I agree with this post. Anyone celeb that asks for more money when they are already earning thousands is a greedy pig. They should be thankful for what they've got.
  • Options
    DrPepperDrPepper Posts: 2,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Id prefer Kate Walsh to win an Emmy she's an amazing actress any one else agree?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My view is well done Katherine for making the decision and well done for also releasing the statement.

If she hadn't done this and ended up winning the Emmy (based on reputation etc) then she would be the one critised as being unworthy this year.

Last years Emmy was well deserved, but from the episodes i've seen this season (pre and post strike) the show and all the actors have been slightly off the boil.

Hopefully this will open up the position for a nomination of one of the many good actresses on less prominent shows.

i love your user name as i love the show.

i still think it is a slap in the face to the producers who gave her the break to get this role and the writers. like i said, it is an ensemble show, it isn`t Izzy Stevens Anatomy. i see both sides of it now, however.

yes, i really like Kate Walsh (for Dr. Pepper)