~ Blue Velvet, ITV1, 10:30PM ~

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,541
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just a heads up for anyone who hasn't seen this Cult classic yet, I am still debating whether I watch it again or not TBH, I always said that once was more than enough, very disturbing film...but amazingly well acted and very dark.

*That* scene with Dean Stockwell & Dennis Hopper is as legendary as anything so the film is worth watching just for Dean's surreal miming of Roy Orbison's "In dreams" Yay Dean Stockwell, yay! Amazing actor. :)

Comments

• SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen a lot of Lynch's work but somehow not this! I'm going to record it, thanks for the reminder. :)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It's on Sky quite often, though not this month :D
    I think it's usually on the Indie channel if you want to catch it without ad breaks :)
  • wotnotwotnot Posts: 9,565
    Forum Member
    Watched this years ago and although I usually love Dennis Hopper, this movie made me feel quite uncomfortable. No so much the amount of sexual content but more the type of sexual content. :(
  • stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wotnot wrote: »
    Watched this years ago and although I usually love Dennis Hopper, this movie made me feel quite uncomfortable. No so much the amount of sexual content but more the type of sexual content. :(

Isn't that the point of it tho?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when it was released at the cinema and "feminist" groups threw paint at the cinema screens.
    It's a fantastic film - a very important contribution to surrealist cinema, but enjoyable on a normal level as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even though I have it on DVD I'll shall be zoned in maan.

Love that film - Thanks for the heads up :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't really get the film and not sure why it's called a masterpiece.

Perhaps it's not really my kind of film.
  • Jamie181Jamie181 Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    I wasn't sure whether the ending was supposed to be optimistic, or a piss-take.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welcome the world of David Lynch.

IF you didn't get Blue Velvet I wouldn't bother with Mulholland Drive or Lost Highway let alone Eraserhead :D
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome the world of David Lynch.

IF you didn't get Blue Velvet I wouldn't bother with Mulholland Drive or Lost Highway let alone Eraserhead :D

Did someone mention my name haha.

Yup, and if you shouldn't bother with those, you definitely shouldn't go anywhere near Inland Empire.

As for Blue Velvet, it's one of my favourite Lynch films, not just for Dennis Hopper's wonderfully over-the-top and quite disturbing performance (easily out-doing Jack Nicholson in The Shining) but for the unsettling notion of there being something rotten beneath the surface of a seemingly idyllic suburban setting.
  • jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member
    I've only ever seen Blue Velvet and Twin Peaks,but I really love Lynch's work and style.I have really got to get around to seeing MDrive and Eraserhead.
    We need more guy's like this in a movie industry obsessed with making over produced CGI movies,dumb sequels and pointless remakes,usually directed by bland,yes men.

What's not to like about a movie which features Dennis Hopper playing an off of his head,crazy psychopath that says f**k in ever sentence (Possibly a semi-autobiographical account of himself in the late 60's :D)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Twin Peaks tv show is Lynch's masterpiece but i reckon Blue Velvet is his best movie.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamespondo wrote: »
    What's not to like about a movie which features Dennis Hopper playing an off of his head,crazy psychopath that says f**k in ever sentence (Possibly a semi-autobiographical account of himself in the late 60's :D)

You're not too far off the truth. Hopper was drawing from personal experience when he was acting high after inhaling the gas, remembering how he used to feel when off his head back in the druggy days :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    Though I love David Lynch's films, I never cared much for Blue Velvet. I should like it but I just don't.:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamespondo wrote: »
    I've only ever seen Blue Velvet and Twin Peaks,but I really love Lynch's work and style.I have really got to get around to seeing MDrive and Eraserhead.
    We need more guy's like this in a movie industry obsessed with making over produced CGI movies,dumb sequels and pointless remakes,usually directed by bland,yes men.

In an interview I saw David Lynch said that Dennis Hopper always put in more f*cks than were scripted, but Hopper reckoned he only said the number of f*cks that were in the script. He was also joking that David Lynch didn't like using the word - he said "he can't say it, but he sure can write it!"
  • RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was an odd film. I think I expected abit more to be honest...
  • JeliteJelite Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like this film but prefer the mindf*ck of Mullholland Drive.