Options

False Eylashes

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 679
Forum Member
✭✭
Just a quick question for you beauty experts out there!

I've just bought some false eyelashes for a do I'm going to next weekend - I've never worn them before, but the instructions look quite straightforward and I'll have a practice run at some point.

Any tips or things I should know? Can you use mascara on them, for instance, and then cleanse it off? They say they last up to four weeks, so presumably they're not a one-wear only thing.....

Ta. :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What sort did you get? I wear the pre-glued "ready to wear" ones by Eylure if I'm going to a special do - I can put mascara on them, & I wear my contacts with them without any trouble. I don't know if you can re-use them, & I suppose I could try, but I found applying glue far too fiddly so I'd probably ruin them. I don't like the thought of re-using them because I worry about getting an eye infection, so I just throw them away. If yours say that they can last for up to four weeks, I'd get a darker pair that look as if you've put mascara on them & then steer clear of mascara & eye liner when you're wearing them to lessen the chances of infection or dirt build-up, & then use a proper cleanser for them to remove the glue ready for the next time you want to wear them.

As for doing a test run with them, I suggest going to a salon & asking them to show you the best way to apply them. Some people use tweezers & some use their fingers, some start from the inner of the eye working out & some start out in. If they go over with you how to do it, you'll get an idea of how long it takes, & then you can do another practice session before the day you actually need them & will be less nervous about applying them. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i use the girls aloud and boots own brands that you have to glue yourself
    i put on a layer of mascara , glue on lashes, as close to your own lashes as you can manage then put on a second coat of mascara to blend the lashes together
    i remove my mascara with my lashes on so it doesnt build up when it comes to reapplying the dry glue tends to peel off in one strip and then off you go again
    be careful to put the glue lid back on as it drys quickly, i can get away with using mine for a good few weeks if im careful with them
    im not always though if im drinking and i can see the lashes it makes me dizzy :-) so i tend to rip them out
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got Eyelure ones but they're in little clumps of a few lashes together rather than in one big strip, and in three different lengths depending on where on the eye you're applying them.

I thought that might be easier than the whole lash - putting on little bits at a time and I could just remove the one bit if I messed up rather than the whole lot.

Thanks for the tip on putting on mascara before and then after applying, lemmingtonsteel - I can see the sense of that.

I looked at the pre-glued ones, robinsbatman - I nearly went for those, actually. If I get addicted then I might try them next... :D

Can't believe I'm nearly 40 and have NEVER worn false eyelashes!
  • Options
    ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love false eyelashes and use mascara with mine all the time. I use the basic Maybelline one with them though as I find some of the lash building ones clump on them.

The only draw back is that when I'm drinking I forget I'm wearing them. They came off when I cleansed my face at christmas but lay in the sink. Causing Mini V to have hystrerics at a "big hairy spider" in the loo. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ValLambert wrote: »
    I love false eyelashes and use mascara with mine all the time. I use the basic Maybelline one with them though as I find some of the lash building ones clump on them.

The only draw back is that when I'm drinking I forget I'm wearing them. They came off when I cleansed my face at christmas but lay in the sink. Causing Mini V to have hystrerics at a "big hairy spider" in the loo. :D

:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr Todd wrote: »
    I looked at the pre-glued ones, robinsbatman - I nearly went for those, actually. If I get addicted then I might try them next... :D
    Honestly, they are so easy to apply. The first time I did them, it took me nearly 10 minutes because I wasn't too sure about where to start the strip on my eyelid, but now I can have both eyes done in a couple of minutes. Superdrug have them for £4.95, & when they had their recent sale (it was either "Buy 1 get one free" or "Buy 2 get the third free") I bought a lot to stock up. Your own branch might still have the sale going on. :)

I did try the ones you have to glue yourself, but they were a non-starter for me. My fingers sometimes don't work very well, & I ended with fingers that looked like they had tassels or a very bad hair problem. :D
    Dr Todd wrote: »
    Can't believe I'm nearly 40 and have NEVER worn false eyelashes!
    You've started the period in life known as "Don't give a monkey's". It's now that you'll be able to flutter your eyelashes in a "wordly woman" kind of way, instead of looking like you've got a squint. :D