Options

EBC (English Broadcasting Corporation) (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    The point is that the map, in the case of Dundee, shouldn't have been shown at all.

why on earth not?

Iain
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    The point is that the map, in the case of Dundee, shouldn't have been shown at all.

Go on Mark, keep me laughing and tell why not?
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iain wrote: »
    why on earth not?

Iain
    Go on Mark, keep me laughing and tell why not?
    I believe I explained this at the time, but there was a freely-available photograph of the girl involved in the incident, which the BBC had already acquired for their website.

But instead of using that, the BBC felt it was necessary to remind people where Dundee was, something they only ever do with English places when it's somewhere most people haven't heard of.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe I explained this at the time, but there was a freely-available photograph of the girl involved in the incident, which the BBC had already acquired for their website.

But instead of using that, the BBC felt it was necessary to remind people where Dundee was, something they only ever do with English places when it's somewhere most people haven't heard of.

like Oxford?

and i'm not sure the relevance of the image of the girl, unless you can explain how that would inform people where the incident took place....

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    like Oxford?
    They weren't reminding people where Oxford was; they were showing people where the incident was in relation to Oxford.
    and i'm not sure the relevance of the image of the girl, unless you can explain how that would inform people where the incident took place....
    So you're telling me that the BBC illustrate every news story with a map to indicate where something took place?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Ok Mark a couple of questions for you; did they do it to deliberately jar you and people like yourself off or was there another reason? also what did the BBC say when you wrote to complain of this 'outrageous deed'?

EDIT, when I speak of you I don't mean personally because I know that this kind of hunt for an anti Scottish gripe is just a hobby of yours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EDIT, when I speak of you I don't mean personally because I know that this kind of hunt for an anti Scottish gripe is just a hobby of yours.
    That's a rather childish post.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's a rather childish post.

Not really Mark because it's obvious from your posts that it is some kind of hobby or perhaps quest of yours, you scour the website looking for any instance that you see as some kind of anti Scottish/biased towards England.

So what about the questions asked in my post?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really because it's obvious from your posts that it is some kind of hobby or perhaps quest of yours, you scour the website looking for any instance that you see as some kind of anti Scottish/biased towards England.
    No I don't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No I don't.

Answers to my questions?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Answers to my questions?
    Apology for your false accusation?
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :eek: There's a welsh football story as the main headline on the sports section. The world is ending!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They weren't reminding people where Oxford was; they were showing people where the incident was in relation to Oxford.

So you're telling me that the BBC illustrate every news story with a map to indicate where something took place?

no, i'm not saying that.

but, it seems, recent examples of when they did use a map were Dundee in Scotland and Oxford in England.

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no, i'm not saying that.

but, it seems, recent examples of when they did use a map were Dundee in Scotland and Oxford in England.
    The second map was not for Oxford.

It was to show where an incident took place, and so marked Oxford as a point of reference and not the actual location of said incident.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Apology for your false accusation?

Not one at all Mark, I could go back through the entire thread(s) and list many examples but I have much better things to do and you know darn well that you very often post links late at night and to me that shows you are doing nothing else (apart from perhaps trying to impress others) but looking for something that you see as some kind of anti Scottish agenda/bias at the BBC and seeing that you cannot answer my questions tells me that once again you are making a fuss about nothing.... you are open to prove me wrong though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The second map was not for Oxford.

It was to show where an incident took place, and so marked Oxford as a point of reference and not the actual location of said incident.

so they showed Oxford, but not the place of the incident itself?

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so they showed Oxford, but not the place of the incident itself?
    Of course they did.

This is an incredibly simple concept. If something happens in Upper Huffingdon, they mark it on the map and also provide the nearest big town or city as a point of reference.

In the case of Dundee, they marked it, and only it, on the map, the same way they do with foreign news stories.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK - so did the Oxford story take place in Upper Huffingdon, and the used a map showing both Upper Huffingham and Oxford?

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes (although I use Upper Huffingdon in place of the actual location, whose name escapes me).
  • Options
    KoalaKoala Posts: 6,082
    Forum Member
    looking for something that you see as some kind of anti Scottish agenda/bias at the BBC.

I've said it before...and I'll say it again.

There is no such thing as an " anti-Scottish " agenda at the BBC.

To be " anti" something, you really have to have feelings / care about that " something", whatever it is.

Perhaps "apathetic" is a better word to use.

( with or without the first letter !! ;) )
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Brooklyn Boy, yesterday was a quiet day in Football, as with this morning its either Gary Speed's appointment or Motherwell vs Hearts from the SPL, there is only so much Tevez you can take. Still tonight Liverpool are playing and Thursday City are playing so normal service will be resumed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    Brooklyn Boy, yesterday was a quiet day in Football, as with this morning its either Gary Speed's appointment or Motherwell vs Hearts from the SPL, there is only so much Tevez you can take. Still tonight Liverpool are playing and Thursday City are playing so normal service will be resumed.
    Because its not like those are major clubs with large fanbases is it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes (although I use Upper Huffingdon in place of the actual location, whose name escapes me).

OK, so if it had occurred in Oxford, do you think they would have used a map that didn't show Oxford?

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they would have used a map at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ah. so is the idea that they use maps to show where places in Scotland are, because Scottish places are so obscure geographically, but don't use maps to show where places in England are because, of course, everyone knows where those places are?

Iain