Matt Baker & Aliona Vilani Appreciation Thread (Part 2)

Comments

• deisegirldeisegirl Posts: 3,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone knew Aliona was going to do something "off the wall"....thaaaat's Aliona! I know there's a lot of anger a-simmering around here but I think she's just fab-u-lous and it's obvious Matt does too :D

Matt looked he was having such a good time in both dances, I loved that :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deisegirl wrote: »
    Everyone knew Aliona was going to do something "off the wall"....thaaaat's Aliona! I know there's a lot of anger a-simmering around here but I think she's just fab-u-lous and it's obvious Matt does too :D

Me too :)
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deisegirl wrote: »

Here, here! :D
  • Strictly_IrishStrictly_Irish Posts: 18,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :cry::( I feel so bad for Matt he so wanted to dance that Paso and Aliona has let him down hugely :mad: :cry::cry::cry:

I agree :(

It would be an easier blow to take if he had at least gotten to do the Paso :(
  • ava2007ava2007 Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    VWgirl wrote: »
    Ok guys, we've done all we can do. Matt's done all he can do. We're now leaving it down to fate.

I'm actually perfectly calm: If they get through, then brilliant. If not, then it's perfectly understandable why. Not fair on Matt, but he seems happy enough anyway.

You're right - but I am not calm I'm afraid I am drunk!
  • vincent's mojovincent's mojo Posts: 9,369
    Forum Member
    Knock knock

Just wanted to pop in to say goodluck tonight :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Completely agree, and at risk of having my head chewed off, I will say this:

Whatever you think about Aliona's choreography, Matt was and has always been, right there with her. If he is supporting her entirely, and he is, then that's good enough for me. I'm sure she is doing her very best with him.

If they go out now, it's unfortunate but understandable. They've had an amazing run on the show, and delivered something really edgy and different. I'm so proud of Matt for doing this, and pushing the SCD boundaries, and he wouldn't have done that with a safer dance partner.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knock knock

Just wanted to pop in to say goodluck tonight :D

Thank you :)
  • teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :cry::( I feel so bad for Matt he so wanted to dance that Paso and Aliona has let him down hugely :mad: :cry::cry::cry:

No she has not!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VWgirl wrote: »
    Completely agree, and at risk of having my head chewed off, I will say this:

Whatever you think about Aliona's choreography, Matt was and has always been, right there with her. If he is supporting her entirely, and he is, then that's good enough for me. I'm sure she is doing her very best with him.

If they go out now, it's unfortunate but understandable. They've had an amazing run on the show, and delivered something really edgy and different. I'm so proud of Matt for doing this, and pushing the SCD boundaries, and he wouldn't have done that with a safer dance partner.

I'm with you, completely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    Woah. Just rewatched their showdance. They could have put a bit of jive or charleston kicks and flicks in there that would have worked with the music to give it a bit higher dance content and eliminate some of the static moments but actually... it really wasn't as bad as I was making out... :o

I urge everyone to rewatch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Just coming in to commend Aliona on the amazing job she did choreographing such an inventive, diverse and energetic showdance. They didn't get the best marks (thanks largely to narrow-minded bourgeois prig Craig's evident disdain for the sorts of dance they incorporated) but they were certainly top of the three showdances. :)

Well done Matt for a tremendous execution. Here's hoping they (and Kartem) go through, like they deserve to. :)
  • dancing-girldancing-girl Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all
    I loved both dances. When I calm down I am going to watch them again.

If PS wins, SCD has gone backwards. Boring Safe Boring routines

The show need new ideas, and new blood. IMO M&A from day one have delivered in bucket loads.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woah. Just rewatched their showdance. They could have put a bit of jive or charleston kicks and flicks in there that would have worked with the music to give it a bit higher dance content and eliminate some of the static moments but actually... it really wasn't as bad as I was making out... :o

Definitely!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,062
    Forum Member
    The problem with the showdance was there were too many pauses and it was just a tad slow. Otherwise I liked it - and LOVED their costumes. Kara's was awful, and Pamela's boring - how many times have we seen that routine. They've had samba, if they get through will do a VW and a paso, why on earth would they want to bore everyone with more of the same. Breakdancing IS dancing whether Len likes it or not. I'm furious with the judges and hope the public will be as well.

And what exactly was wrong with their samba that they scored it lower than the other two??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that we'll see this Paso either way - as the 'goodbye' dance or in the second part of the final. I haven't seen any clarification of the "well we're only going to do it if..." like we did with the VW.
    Forum Member

I second this wholeheartedly.

This is a different sort of dance yet many viewers see it with the preconception that it should be a mash-up of ballroom dance steps rather than something totally different.

Make sure to knock out any assumptions of what it "should" be. It's being called the showdance, but its other name is "freestyle". Anything goes, anything went, and they were top of the class as far as I could see. :)

Let's hope judge / viewer narrow-mindedness doesn't crush their chances. :(
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rita1 wrote: »
    The problem with the showdance was there were too many pauses and it was just a tad slow. Otherwise I liked it - and LOVED their costumes. Kara's was awful, and Pamela's boring - how many times have we seen that routine. They've had samba, if they get through will do a VW and a paso, why on earth would they want to bore everyone with more of the same. Breakdancing IS dancing whether Len likes it or not. I'm furious with the judges and hope the public will be as well.

And what exactly was wrong with their samba that they scored it lower than the other two??

Exactly!! There was dancing in it! And that's exactly what I said to my mum. Why would they want to do another dance full of ballroom/latin, when they're possibly going to be doing three other dances in those styles?!

And that made me laugh. Craig said it was faultess, or perfect, of whatever word he used, yet only gave it a 9?!
  • stacesl3stacesl3 Posts: 812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HI all,

Even though I am a Kara fan just wanna say I hope that Matt gets into the final 2....along with Kara of course :)

Good luck!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm definitely not feeling as negative as a lot on here - which is a strange position for me to be in - but at the same time I usually like to expect the worst so I won't be disappointed and will not be watching the elimination live...does chicken noises.....bok bok bok..

And as it's Matt, Moo, Baa and Oink oink (not even sure what animals he has on his farm apart from sheep but I won't let that get in the way...)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stacesl3 wrote: »
    HI all,

Even though I am a Kara fan just wanna say I hope that Matt gets into the final 2....along with Kara of course :)

Good luck!

Thank you :)
  • SueDevonSueDevon Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    rita1 wrote: »

Totally agree with this.
    Forum Member
    stacesl3 wrote: »
    HI all,

Good luck!

Thanks! The feeling's reciprocated (from me, at least). :D
  • Strictly_IrishStrictly_Irish Posts: 18,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just want to see his Paso :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    Exactly!! There was dancing in it! And that's exactly what I said to my mum. Why would they want to do another dance full of ballroom/latin, when they're possibly going to be doing three other dances in those styles?!

And that made me laugh. Craig said it was faultess, or perfect, of whatever word he used, yet only gave it a 9?!

I usually give Craig a pass because he's the fairest of the judges but he said it was better, that the Blackpool performance was a bit ropey. So ropey=9 and loved it all+was much better=9 as well. Dur!!!
This discussion has been closed.