Comments

• Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timebug wrote: »
    I tend to find he plays Sean Bean in everything
    he is in.The Bond one (Goldeneye?) had him
    attempting to 'talk posh' for a bit but then he
    reverted to his own 'ooop north' accent.
    Apparently a nice bloke but a crap actor!

I disagree. His recent work has included Red Riding (John Dawson), Game of Thrones (Eddard Stark) and Accused (Simon/Tracie). Not sure how he is playing himself in those roles.
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    I disagree. His recent work has included Red Riding (John Dawson), Game of Thrones (Eddard Stark) and Accused (Simon/Tracie). Not sure how he is playing himself in those roles.

Sean Bean is like Sean Connery, in that every character he portrays, the strong accent and mannerisms come through to take you out of the character, and remind you that you're watching the actor.
  • occasional postoccasional post Posts: 6,351
    Forum Member
    I watched Cleanskin the other night - film average but I though Sean Bean was excellent (though he needs to learn to look round corners a bit more!) :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treme wrote: »
    Sean Bean is like Sean Connery, in that every character he portrays, the strong accent and mannerisms come through to take you out of the character, and remind you that you're watching the actor.

I know what you mean but the older he gets, the better his control of that accent seems to be. Sean Bean is a pretty good actor even if at times his accent does overpower his performance.

I have a similar problem with Daniel Radcliffe, he's always going to be Harry Potter because he doesn't seem to do accents....Harry Potter and The Woman in Black....I really struggled to get past this because he is so incredibly typecast.
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re the comments about his recent work: I
    watched Red Riding and have it now on DVD
    but I still find him wooden and hard work!
    Horses for courses,you ask how is he still
    'playing himself' well,the character in RR is
    (to me) just a bloated and excessive version
    of himself.
    Each to their own,I accept that loads of folk
    like him,but he leaves me cold,sorry!
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    great in "When Saturday Comes"

and he was a bad lad in the old Catherine Cookson "15 Streets"

anecdotal, but I think he dies more than any other "name" actor in films.