Is it possible to have a sensible debate about foreign workers without being racist.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,392
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I work as a manager for a large logistics group, and have come to the conclusion there are too many foreign workers in this country. Its not just in Tesco's car park, where they offer to wash your car, they are everywhere. And i think its wrong. I dislike the fact that a lot of them have no talent, no skills and in the whole scheme of things offer nothing to this country.
Today, and i'm powerless to do anything about it, another 10 started where i work. Absolutely useless except they can pack boxes. What do they offer this country. Nothing, yet if they have kids they will be in our schools and if they are ill, use our hospitals.
Then you get the "they work harder than the lazy brits". Sorry, give me a good English worker anyday. Last month i had to sack a Polish lad for taking drugs at work. Not unusual.
Finally, my Polish NHS dentist is leaving. After one English, local dentist for 20 years, i've had four in three years. They stay a while, then move on.
But if you say all this, you get called a racist. Well, i dont care. There have let too many migrant workers into the country, and its wrong. Its a shame there is no political party who can responsibly represent this point of view.

Paul.

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have taken drugs whilst at work in the past, inc Ecstacy, LSD and Speed. I was born same as my parents and other anscestors in England.
    There are many people who shouldn't be in the country, but many of the workers do the jobs the Brits are too snobby to do and to be honest there are many brit tradesmen who are bloody lazy and take the piss.
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trouble is Paul, when you start making sweeping statements about Polish workers and other immigrants then can you see why that might be construed as racist?

There are many Poles and many other immigrants who, over the years, have provided us with skills we need and have been prepared to do jobs that British workers won't do and are very talented and hard working and do contribute to our economy and who aren't druggies.

Nothing wrong with having reservations about the level of immigration the country currently experiences, but I do think it's unfair to pretend that all immigration has been bad and that most immigrants are unneeded and don't contribute. Services like the NHS couldn't have survived without them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No! Apparently not!

England has thrived on immigration since before the Romans - what you have to ask yourself is.....

What would Hitler do?:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    humphryb wrote: »
    I have taken drugs whilst at work in the past, inc Ecstacy, LSD and Speed. I was born same as my parents and other anscestors in England.
    There are many people who shouldn't be in the country, but many of the workers do the jobs the Brits are too snobby to do and to be honest there are many brit tradesmen who are bloody lazy and take the piss.

1. I doubt you have taken drugs whilst driving a forklift. If so you deserve to be sacked.
    2. I dont know if you are talking from experience or not. In the last six years i have worked with, and around, approx 150 migrant workers. They work neither harder or less harder than UK workers. They are exactly the same. One thing that is true, is they have no loyalty to this country, none at all. They are out for themselves.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *paul* wrote: »
    I work as a manager for a large logistics group, and have come to the conclusion there are too many foreign workers in this country. Its not just in Tesco's car park, where they offer to wash your car, they are everywhere. And i think its wrong. I dislike the fact that a lot of them have no talent, no skills and in the whole scheme of things offer nothing to this country.
    Today, and i'm powerless to do anything about it, another 10 started where i work. Absolutely useless except they can pack boxes. What do they offer this country. Nothing, yet if they have kids they will be in our schools and if they are ill, use our hospitals.
    Then you get the "they work harder than the lazy brits". Sorry, give me a good English worker anyday. Last month i had to sack a Polish lad for taking drugs at work. Not unusual.
    Finally, my Polish NHS dentist is leaving. After one English, local dentist for 20 years, i've had four in three years. They stay a while, then move on.
    But if you say all this, you get called a racist. Well, i dont care. There have let too many migrant workers into the country, and its wrong. Its a shame there is no political party who can responsibly represent this point of view.

Paul.

If that's your point of view, I'm surprised you'd think the BNP was irresponsible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    The trouble is Paul, when you start making sweeping statements about Polish workers and other immigrants then can you see why that might be construed as racist?

There are many Poles and many other immigrants who, over the years, have provided us with skills we need and have been prepared to do jobs that British workers won't do and are very talented and hard working and do contribute to our economy and who aren't druggies.

Nothing wrong with having reservations about the level of immigration the country currently experiences, but I do think it's unfair to pretend that all immigration has been bad and that most immigrants are unneeded and don't contribute. Services like the NHS couldn't have survived without them.

Its not a sweeping statement, its based on my experience over six years, working with around 150 of them. All my comments are based on my personal experience.
    Many, many, many offer nothing. Three males on my shift brought their wives/ GF's over. All three stay at home all day as they cannot speak English. They offer nothing, so why are they here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    If that's your point of view, I'm surprised you'd think the BNP was irresponsible.

The BNP is led by a thug who has been in prison. I dont support people like that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. I doubt you have taken drugs whilst driving a forklift. If so you deserve to be sacked.
    2. I dont know if you are talking from experience or not. In the last six years i have worked with, and around, approx 150 migrant workers. They work neither harder or less harder than UK workers. They are exactly the same. One thing that is true, is they have no loyalty to this country, none at all. They are out for themselves.

1. Let's just say had I been caught I would have faced more then a sacking!

2. I'm talking from experience re Brit workers, i've been on sites in past and worked alongside them on jobs with many living up to the stereotype.
    Parents have hold Polish workers do a job at the house and they worked great even charging less then was originally quoted, have also heard other good things from people that have used them.
    There's a lot of the car washes you mention around here, they're always busy and leave a good impression with people.

As for loyalty who isn't out for themselves??? many natives think of themselves more then others and how do you define loyalty?
  • Skysurfer2000Skysurfer2000 Posts: 1,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not a sweeping statement, its based on my experience over six years, working with around 150 of them. All my comments are based on my personal experience.
    Many, many, many offer nothing. Three males on my shift brought their wives/ GF's over. All three stay at home all day as they cannot speak English. They offer nothing, so why are they here.

Let's burn then, burn them all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BNP is led by a thug who has been in prison. I dont support people like that.

Probably a good employee though!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But I could provide just as many positive personal experiences I've had of immigrants to re-address the balance.

I wouldn't dream of coming to the conclusion that all immigrants are great for our country based on those handful of experiences though. But nor is it fair to conclude that all immigrants are bad just because of a few negative experiences with them.
  • Skysurfer2000Skysurfer2000 Posts: 1,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But I could provide just as many positive personal experiences I've had of immigrants to re-address the balance.

I wouldn't dream of coming to the conclusion that all immigrants are great for our country based on those handful of experiences though. But nor is it fair to conclude that all immigrants are bad just because of a few negative experiences with them.

Excuse me! I do believe you've introduced some common sense and intelligence to the debate, which has no place here!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    humphryb wrote: »
    2. I'm talking from experience re Brit workers, i've been on sites in past and work alongside them on jobs with many living up to the stereotype.
    Parents have hold Polish workers do a job at the house and they worked great even charging less then was originally quoted, have also heard other good things from people that have used them.
    There's a lot of the car washes you mention around here, they're always busy and leave a good impression with people.

As for loyalty who isn't out for themselves??? many natives think of themselves more then others and how do you define loyalty?

What i am saying is some are good, some are bad. Just like UK workers. I object to anyone that gives the impression they are all, as a group, harder working than Brits. That is not true in my experience.
  • HiZHiZ Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Maybe migrant workers are prepared to do the jobs non migrants cant be bothered to do.

Maybe its the government who allow slacker non migrants to sit back and take the benefits instead of doing a less than ideal job.

The money you get for a less than ideal job over here is probably significantly more than you get for harder/more skilled jobs in other countries.

Its not very complicated is it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible to have a sensible debate about foreign workers without being racist.

Yes, it's very possible. You should try it some time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they are in employment then you cannot say they are useless to this country! They are fulfilling a role, however menial.

If they're packing boxes in Tescos then thats still a job :confused: I would assume that as they are packing boxes in Tescos's they are on minimum wage. What kind of an attitude do you expect anyone on mimimum wage to have? They're not going to be that loyal as hopefully they've got something better to aim for.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
    Forum Member

Exactly, my Dad moved here when the NHS relied upon overseas recruitment to keep it afloat. Some of his relatives came over a few years ago and were a complete waste of space and even my Dad admitted that but there are many others from his country who have made a valuable contribution. In the family business half of the British staff are rubbish and unreliable and half are hard workers, same goes for those from other countries. You can't go around saying all foreign workers are not hardworkers and not expect people to call you racist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sid, you havent read my posts. I said my comments are based on my experience of working with 150 of them over 6years. By default that means i cant make a conclusion about ALL of them, but 150 is a good representation. Enough to draw some conclusions.

And i'll say it again, there are a lot who offer nothing. They dont lift this country to another level.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What i am saying is some are good, some are bad. Just like UK workers. I object to anyone that gives the impression they are all, as a group, harder working than Brits. That is not true in my experience.

Just wanted to say I no longer work on sites, I made a typo on post which have corrected :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
    Forum Member

That's a bit better but still in your OP thats not what you appeared to be saying. Wow, this is a fast moving thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chocdoc wrote: »
    If they are in employment then you cannot say they are useless to this country! They are fulfilling a role, however menial.

My polish mate brought his wife over. She cant speak English so cant work. She is useless.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Immigrants are all different individuals, until you realise that it's hard to have a debate. Immigrants are as varied (in how hard they work etc...) as British Born people. You can't have a debate on immigration policy by making sweeping statements that everyone from a certain country are such and such. It would be like me saying that all Irish people want to bomb us because that all they are in the news for.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My polish mate brought his wife over. She cant speak English so cant work. She is useless.

Your "mate"? Have you told your "mate" this?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excuse me! I do believe you've introduced some common sense and intelligence to the debate, which has no place here!

Spank me! :D

At last we're getting somewhere.

Your initial post seemed quite dismissive of all immigrants.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :) All of the polls suggest most people agree there are too many immigrants in the country.
    Most people on this forum wouldn't agree though. But then they are not representative of the UK population.