What is the best chill out album ever?

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer Programmed to Love. 5 of the top 10 most played tracks on my iPod are from that album.

I am so used to being the only bent fan!
    I love Programmed to love , every song is chilled beauty. Boards of Canada have some
    stunning songs but a whole album would be boring.

I also vote for Melody AM - Royskopp and Cocteau twins-Four calendar cafe.
    And Enya
  • RicardodaforceRicardodaforce Posts: 8,576
    Forum Member
    I am so used to being the only bent fan!
    I love Programmed to love , every song is chilled beauty.

I don't know anyone else who's heard of them!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gotan Project awesome
    Moon Safari - of course if only for Ce matin la
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chill Out In Paris San Carlo Dal 1973
    Forum Member
    Gotan Project awesome
    Moon Safari - of course if only for Ce matin la

Isn't that just beautiful
  • bohoboybohoboy Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Chicane album is more house than chill out, and the Wiliam Orbit one is a classical music album, not really what I what define as chill out.

What do you define as chill out then? Both albums are pure melloe ambient electronica which is pretty much what chill out is.
    Forum Member
    So Sibelius and Satie are your kinda thing too?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Sibelius and Satie are your kinda thing too?

I don't understand your point.
    Forum Member
    bohoboy wrote: »
    I don't understand your point.

You chose a classical music album (as classified at the time which is why it entered the Classical Music chart) as a great example of a chill out album. So I asked if you also rate Sibelius and Satie, both of whom are classical music composers known for the relaxing nature of their works. Indeed some see Sibelius as the inventor of ambient music.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You chose a classical music album (as classified at the time which is why it entered the Classical Music chart) as a great example of a chill out album. So I asked if you also rate Sibelius and Satie, both of whom are classical music composers known for the relaxing nature of their works. Indeed some see Sibelius as the inventor of ambient music.

And? I still don't get your point, you're implying that because the work is classical it isn't chill out. Surely chill out is an umbrella term defining an area of music that spans many genres rather than a genre itself?
    Forum Member
    And? I still don't get your point, you're implying that because the work is classical it isn't chill out. Surely chill out is an umbrella term defining an area of music that spans many genres rather than a genre itself?

That's a good point. For is Chill out not a genre?
  • Jimmy Big LegsJimmy Big Legs Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    I prefer Programmed to Love. 5 of the top 10 most played tracks on my iPod are from that album.

Programmed to Love is a great album (infact probably one of my all time favourites), and contains some gorgeous songs like Swollen, I Love My Man and Always. But it also has some slightly quirkier tracks which might not appeal to everyone's tastes.

I'd say that Ariels is the more... easy listening of the two. I couldn't fault a single track on there.

Edit:

I'd also heavily recommend Later: Compiled and Mixed by Bent (Seamless Records). It's slightly dancier, but still perfect for winding down a Spring/Summer's evening.
    Forum Member
    Programmed to Love is a great album (infact probably one of my all time favourites), and contains some gorgeous songs like Swollen, I Love My Man and Always. But it also has some slightly quirkier tracks which might not appeal to everyone's tastes.

I'd say that Ariels is the more... easy listening of the two. I couldn't fault a single track on there.

Edit:

I'd also heavily recommend Later: Compiled and Mixed by Bent (Seamless Records). It's slightly dancier, but still perfect for winding down a Spring/Summer's evening.

Don't forget FabricLive 11 mixed by Bent....
    Oh and it's the quirkier songs (Cylons, Chocolate Star etc that make the album for me)
  • Jimmy Big LegsJimmy Big Legs Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    Don't forget FabricLive 11 mixed by Bent....

I found that one a bit harder to get into. The last 4 or 5 tracks are cracking on it, though!
    Oh and it's the quirkier songs (Cylons, Chocolate Star etc that make the album for me)

Aye, those ones are good. I meant more the random little bonus tracks that pop-up throughout the album. Like the one towards the end (Toothless Gibbon?), which sounds like it's been ripped straight from the computer game Point Blank for the PS1.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A compilation from germany called Pop Ambient 2002 on the Kompakt label, more for drone fans but I love it

And Groove Armada's Vertigo is still superb 10 years on
  • junipairejunipaire Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without doubt

76.14 by Global Communications

Anyone who is into their Chill Out needs to hunt this classic down

Totally agree, it is stunning, I still heavily play it after all these years, a true sign of a classic
  • junipairejunipaire Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Desert Dwellers - Downtemple Dub: Roots

is pretty damn up there with the best I've heard
  • Ally_BowieAlly_Bowie Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morcheeba - Big Calm, really surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet! It's just perfect to end the night when it's just a couple of you left to wind down to!!
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Zero 7 - Simple Things
    Air - Moon Safari

Or those Ministry Of Sound compilations!
  • Terry HesticlesTerry Hesticles Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Ally_Bowie wrote: »
    Morcheeba - Big Calm, really surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet! It's just perfect to end the night when it's just a couple of you left to wind down to!!

I was about to post the same!
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fripp & Eno - No Pussyfooting
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a good point. For is Chill out not a genre?

Even if you accept that 'Chill out' is a genre, why should any piece only fit into one genre of music? Genres are just categories adopted by critics and listeners to describe types of music, they are not rigid, walled divisions.

For example, the album mentioned above 'No Pussyfooting' by Fripp/Eno is often described as ambient, pre-ambient, experimental, avant-garde, loop-based and I would agree, chill-out, even though that term didn't really exist in 1973.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Fripp & Eno - No Pussyfooting

Actually in terms of chill-out I think 'Evening Star' by Fripp and Eno is better.
  • DoppleDopple Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Waiting for Cousteau by J-M Jarre is my favourtie Ambient track.
    47 minutes of bliss..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH2UxxdXAfg&ab_channel=TheFrozenLands
  • Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Defintely Chill Out by KLF for me.