Recommend a new boxset

2»

Comments

• M_L_MM_L_M Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    On the historical front. If you can get the box set of Homicide: Life On The Street is a classic (all 36 dvds of it)
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just seen the first two series of Nikita (the recent Maggie Q version). I was slightly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

A series that should not have been cancelled (imo!) was Boomtown. Only 18 episodes so short enough not to get bored with the characters or the style of presentation.
  • Britt_IshraelBritt_Ishrael Posts: 1,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Six Feet Under
  • satman5000satman5000 Posts: 1,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wire
    The Sopranos
    The West Wing
    Studio60 on the Sunset Strip
    Arrested Development
    Mad Men
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Nikita is definitely not a show to be missed! I've been hooked from the start!
  • Role ModelRole Model Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Prison Break
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drama
    - The West Wing (best TV show ever)
    - Anything else by Aaron Sorkin
    - Damages
    - Mad Men
    - The Good Wife

Comedy
    - Boston Legal
    - 30 Rock

Procedurals
    - Bones
    - Castle
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Sopranos is just simply the best show Ive ever seen and Boardwalk empire is a second

Id recommend dexter aswell. I love that too,

Also if youre looking for something less heavy I really couldnt believe how good I thought entourage was- it's really funny yet has its share of drama aswell

There's an amazing show we have here in ireland called Love/hate and you should be able to order online- it's so brilliant , it's up there with the best of the best
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    It's a short series, only about 16 episodes or so.. but it's awesome. It's called The Kill Point. With John Leguizamo
  • player1player1 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking for recommendations.... thoroughly enjoyed The West Wing, Newsroom, The Wire, The Shield, The Sopranos, Dexter,Breaking Bad,Boardwalk Empire, Treme, The Killing, Criminale Romazo - also just finished s01-s03 of SouthLAnd....whilst I await s04 to stack up on my Sky box I am thinking of making a start on either - Justified, Sons of Anarchy, Prison Break, The Walking Dead ...all of which get good reviews. Outside bets for Carnivale and The Black Donnellys......what would you recommend ( I have a slight leaning towards SoA at the moment, and zobies aren't really my genre of choice - , but shortlist only based on IMDB/Amazon reviews )
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    player1 wrote: »
    Looking for recommendations.... thoroughly enjoyed The West Wing, Newsroom, The Wire, The Shield, The Sopranos, Dexter,Breaking Bad,Boardwalk Empire, Treme, The Killing, Criminale Romazo - also just finished s01-s03 of SouthLAnd....whilst I await s04 to stack up on my Sky box I am thinking of making a start on either - Justified, Sons of Anarchy, Prison Break, The Walking Dead ...all of which get good reviews. Outside bets for Carnivale and The Black Donnellys......what would you recommend ( I have a slight leaning towards SoA at the moment, and zobies aren't really my genre of choice - , but shortlist only based on IMDB/Amazon reviews )

Prison Break, while fun, is a little downmarket compared to the other series you say you liked. Since you express some reservation about The Walking Dead (which really is great, and much better than something with zombies in it should be), I say go with Justified.
  • SamMcKSamMcK Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Breaking Bad is the best TV drama imo since the Sopranos! You'll never see Hal from Malcolm In The Middle the same way again! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamMcK wrote: »
    Breaking Bad is the best TV drama imo since the Sopranos! You'll never see Hal from Malcolm In The Middle the same way again! :D

Oddly enough I've never been able to get into Breaking Bad. I have the first season but I've never been able to get past ep 2 for some reason even though it looks like the sort of show I should love. With some free time over Christmas it is on my viewing list and I'm determined to "break" into it.

I was never able to get into The Wire either. There were just far too many characters and story lines that I couldn't work out who was who.
  • eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deadwood for me one of the best tv series in recent years.

Word of warning, the language is f$@&ing appalling :)

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=mAvKksPiJ98
  • thetvkingthetvking Posts: 333
    Forum Member

I would say Sons of Anarchy, then Justified. While I enjoyed, Prison Break as a whole it can't compete with them or Walking Dead
  • player1player1 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all - prison break is off the list then, it did sound a bit "soap like"when described by colleagues but then I read loads of positive reviews although there was a consensus that it declines as the seasons progress.

Think it's looking like a tossup between SoA and Justified
  • elgransenor1elgransenor1 Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    don't see how you can't get into breaking bad. its a pretty straightforward and brilliant show, and doesn't take it self too seriously (unlike a few i could mention.)
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd recommend:

Grey's Anatomy - I got the Season 1-7 boxset in June and I'm currently on Season 5. It's got everything; comedy, friendships, drama, emotion. It's fantastic.

Private Practice - the spin off from Grey's Anatomy, although you don't need to have seen GA before watching this - I watched it before I started GA. I love it - it's got a great cast.

White Collar - I've only seen 5 episodes of the first season but it's fresh and exciting from the outset. The lead is one of those characters that just mesmorises you - you can't keep your eyes off him. The writing is very slick and there are a lot of laughs too.

Nip/Tuck - this is such a guilty pleasure! It's quite a weird show but once you get over the fact that it can sometimes be very unrealistic, it's great. Christian Troy is a legend!
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all - prison break is off the list then, it did sound a bit "soap like"when described by colleagues but then I read loads of positive reviews although there was a consensus that it declines as the seasons progress.

Think it's looking like a tossup between SoA and Justified

The first series is amazing. The second - good. Third and Fourth....not so much. I played 'guess how many times a gun is pointed at someone in one episode' in the fourth series.
  • mabbus-cattus1mabbus-cattus1 Posts: 5,777
    Forum Member
    Would recommend (in no particular order) although

The Walking Dead would be no. 1

Greys Anatomy

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Life (Only two seasons but well worth watching - although I thought they rushed the ending of the second season)

Moonlight (with Alex O'Loughlin. Cancelled after season 1 but I loved it - not sure if the DVD is available here though. I had to get mine from the US).

White/Collar

Franklin & Bash

Castle

Bones

Drop Dead Diva (a bit more light hearted)

Just a few that I have watched and (where still running) contiue to watch - in fact scarily I have never missed an episode of any of these (thank goodness for sky+ and +1 channels).

If you like something a bit more supernatural then try Grimm or Once Upon a Time.

My brother always recommends The West Wing, Brothers & Sisters and Sopranos.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    don't see how you can't get into breaking bad. its a pretty straightforward and brilliant show, and doesn't take it self too seriously (unlike a few i could mention.)

I gave Breaking Bad another try last night and watched the first two episodes. It was really good - I don't know why I hadn't liked it previously.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You should definitely order love/hate. Amazing show. I cant rte (irish channel) produced something of such high quality

God i love it so much LOL and also Homeland too

cant get into Breaking bad or the Wire! I tried