Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LauraLS wrote: »
    I think celebrities have their right to bad days the same as everyone else.
    I also don't think they have to be all smiles every time someone approaches for an autograph, I remember David Schwimmer once said he was in a restaurant when someone suddenly shoved a baby into his arms.

I met Lenny Henry and he was as miserable as sin- actually made me feel quite stupid.:( I could brush it off as a bad moment HOWEVER I know others who have come across him professionally and none can stand him.

But, to have something positive to say- Ray Winstone is nice and completely down to earth.

I've heard that Lenny Henry is glum and serious all of the time and not at all funny or humorous in real life.
  • Ann_TennaAnn_Tenna Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    Couple of years ago we were drinking outside a bar in Soho at 5pm in the afternoon and a rather worse for wear Ronnie Wood complete with a drink in his hand, came out the bar and fell into our group. He immediately apologised saying 'sorry Guys, been a rather long afternoon' :D

We were just all OMG a Rolling Stone just fell into us, that's the coolest thing ever, except for one of our Party who had never heard of him, always one isn't there :D

The next round, back at the bar, there was Ronnie, and he insisted on buying our drinks.

A Top Geezer is Ronnie Wood.

Wow, what an afternoon you and your friends had, with Ronnie Wood falling into you. I wish I'd been there instead of the guy/gal who didn't know who Ronnie Wood is. ;-)

Did any of you get a pic of yourselves in the bar with Ronnie? He's a class act, buying your rounds.
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,102
    Forum Member
    Chris Martin is a naturally funny and lovely guy :)
  • dumpty2dumpty2 Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    pothuthic wrote: »
    Chris Martin is a naturally funny and lovely guy :)

Thanks Chris.
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    dumpty2 wrote: »
    Thanks Chris.

:D:D:D
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,102
    Forum Member
    dumpty2 wrote: »
    Thanks Chris.

:D:D

Met Johnny Vegas last night, we were the target of his jokes at a tv show last night, absolutely hilarious and as soon as they finished filming he came over and apologised :D
  • HelenSnowflakeHelenSnowflake Posts: 176
    Forum Member

Met Johnny Vegas last night, we were the target of his jokes at a tv show last night, absolutely hilarious and as soon as they finished filming he came over and apologised :D

My Mum lives in the same town where Johnnys from and he's lovely. She had a good chat with him at the Towns show recently as he was helping out at the Guide Dogs stand. Totally down to earth and approachable.:)
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    I've heard that Lenny Henry is glum and serious all of the time and not at all funny or humorous in real life.

I've already posted (ages back) on here about him being a miserable sod. A couple of weeks ago, I was down in Cornwall staying in the quiet harbour town where he lived with Dawn French (she still lives there). My friend was telling me, when Henry and his then wife first moved there, he told the driver (my friend) of the little tourist bus that goes through the town to not go past their house, as he 'didn't want autograph hunters hanging around outside'. My friend - who lives in the town - said she's not much better but others there have said she's ok. The house, incidentally, is spectacular!
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »
    I've already posted (ages back) on here about him being a miserable sod. A couple of weeks ago, I was down in Cornwall staying in the quiet harbour town where he lived with Dawn French (she still lives there). My friend was telling me, when Henry and his then wife first moved there, he told the driver (my friend) of the little tourist bus that goes through the town to not go past their house, as he 'didn't want autograph hunters hanging around outside'. My friend - who lives in the town - said she's not much better but others there have said she's ok. The house, incidentally, is spectacular!

Surely the easiest solution would be was not to mention it on the tour, unless its very noticeable?

When I took a river boat trip in London a couple of years ago, it takes you past Itv studios but it wasnt mentioned, despite it been shown 5 days a week as part of the Good Morning Britain titles.
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Surely the easiest solution would be was not to mention it on the tour, unless its very noticeable?

When I took a river boat trip in London a couple of years ago, it takes you past Itv studios but it wasnt mentioned, despite it been shown 5 days a week as part of the Good Morning Britain titles.

You've brought back a memory there.

I took a river boat trip in London about 20 years ago and we passed what's now known as ITV Studios. The tour guide said, "That's the LWT studios building - that stands for Last Week's Television".
  • WeeblesWobbleWeeblesWobble Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we still allowed to slag off Cilla or is that in poor taste now?
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For not being even ruder and focussing with sadistic relish on you I should hope! :p

I nearly ended up dragged up and married on stage to Julian Clary a couple of years back on his tour just after he won CBB. He eyed me up and down and passed me over in favour of some fat scruff who was trying to avoid his eye contact. I deliberately gave him eye contact and it saved me. :D
    Are we still allowed to slag off Cilla or is that in poor taste now?
    I think you've answered your own question really.
  • chubstachubsta Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    I've heard that Lenny Henry is glum and serious all of the time and not at all funny or humorous on television or in real life.

I've edited your quote to cover his professional unfunniness...
  • chubstachubsta Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    Anyone ever met Chris Packham - on tv he seems very short with people and i get the impression he could be a bit of a hard time in person.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »

The river boat trip I took did, and now you can hardly not notice it!
  • MadBettyMadBetty Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He earns his living being funny and humorous, why should he be funny and humorous when he's not working? :)
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    MadBetty wrote: »
    He earns his living being funny and humorous, why should he be funny and humorous when he's not working? :)

Exactly. You don't expect a plumber to be constantly unblocking sinks on his day off. I work in IT but that's for my workplace - I don't fix people's computers in my own time.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Exactly. You don't expect a plumber to be constantly unblocking sinks on his day off. I work in IT but that's for my workplace - I don't fix people's computers in my own time.

I should add though, that I don't go around being rude to people - well, not all the time. It depends on the people :)
    Forum Member
    *slaps head*

I'd forgotten all about this encounter until now. I guess it didn't leave me with the impact that meeting John Lennon did.

One spring evening back in 1975 (I'm oldish) the boyfriend I was with at the time took me to a local haunt called the Maples Inn. It was located in the 'burbs of Montreal, and was eventually torched. Gee, I wonder how and why that happened? :p

Anyway, there was a band from New York set to play that particular evening, and the band's sponsor and advocate was none other than Art Garfunkel.. You know, the other guy from SImon and Garfunkel.

The Mapes was always crowded, with people scrambling to get seats at the bar and seats at tables.

The ex and I sat down at a table. We were sitting side by side. Art Garfunkel sat at a table directly beside us. Tables were pushed together to make more room for revelers.

Not once did Art Garfunklel acknowledge us or look in our direction. When the band played, he focused on them. During intermissions, he sipped his drink quietly and looked straight ahead.

I had him pegged as being a snob or shy or both.

One girl approached his table, clutching a piece of paper and a pen. She asked him to give an autograph for her mother (!) and he signed it. Gotta give him credit for that. He was an undemonstrative type, but he did do it.

The ex and I wanted to snort laughing about the mother wanting the autograph, but stopped when Art Garfunkel signed it so willingly.

So the band played its last set, and the ex and I got up to leave. Art was still sitting alone at his table beside where we'd been sitting.

We got outside, staggered down the two wooden steps from the Mapes' front porch, put on our helmets, and climbed on the ex's Harley, ready to roar in away into the night.

Guess who came out, smiled and waved at us? Art Garfunkel his own self!
    Forum Member
    Did I tell you about my meeting/dance with Donald Sutherland? I can't remember if I did or not.

If I haven't, please remind me to tell you this story. It's very funny.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,999
    Forum Member
    Ann_Tenna wrote: »
    Did I tell you about my meeting/dance with Donald Sutherland? I can't remember if I did or not.

If I haven't, please remind me to tell you this story. It's very funny.

Donald Sutherland - yes you did. He was very charming by all accounts which I can totally imagine.

You also previously told us the Art Garfunkel story, am sure of it. Of course I realise some folks here won't know those because they might not read very far back.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ann_Tenna wrote: »
    *slaps head*

I'd forgotten all about this encounter until now. I guess it didn't leave me with the impact that meeting John Lennon did.

One spring evening back in 1975 (I'm oldish) the boyfriend I was with at the time took me to a local haunt called the Maples Inn. It was located in the 'burbs of Montreal, and was eventually torched. Gee, I wonder how and why that happened? :p

Anyway, there was a band from New York set to play that particular evening, and the band's sponsor and advocate was none other than Art Garfunkel.. You know, the other guy from SImon and Garfunkel.

The Mapes was always crowded, with people scrambling to get seats at the bar and seats at tables.

The ex and I sat down at a table. We were sitting side by side. Art Garfunkel sat at a table directly beside us. Tables were pushed together to make more room for revelers.

Not once did Art Garfunklel acknowledge us or look in our direction. When the band played, he focused on them. During intermissions, he sipped his drink quietly and looked straight ahead.

I had him pegged as being a snob or shy or both.

One girl approached his table, clutching a piece of paper and a pen. She asked him to give an autograph for her mother (!) and he signed it. Gotta give him credit for that. He was an undemonstrative type, but he did do it.

The ex and I wanted to snort laughing about the mother wanting the autograph, but stopped when Art Garfunkel signed it so willingly.

So the band played its last set, and the ex and I got up to leave. Art was still sitting alone at his table beside where we'd been sitting.

We got outside, staggered down the two wooden steps from the Mapes' front porch, put on our helmets, and climbed on the ex's Harley, ready to roar in away into the night.

Guess who came out, smiled and waved at us? Art Garfunkel his own self!

Why should he have?:confused:
  • Delicous21Delicous21 Posts: 436
    Forum Member

My thoughts as well .... Are you famous too??

In reference to ann tenas potst of course
  • pmw_hewittpmw_hewitt Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think it's simply the fact that he never so much as looked at them, and yet waved them off as they left...
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly to be honest it it had been me sat at that same table I doubt that I would have acknowledged you or looked in your direction so why should be any different for Art on his night off.