Options

Is it time to ditch some of the Latin dances?

Comments

• Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Compare and contract with Erin's choreography to exactly the same music for a gifted but not previously experienced dancer.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyaafJZrn4c
    A bit of faffing at the beginning but then down to business.
    I miss Erin so much (and Austin was robbed!)

Made me weep a bit. We used to know what the dances were and how they were supposed to be danced. The pros used to help with that as well in the pro dances.

I didn't know what Mark's dance was, some Ballroom AS was as far as I got. And you know, I didn't even worry about it.

Shambles.
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And to introduce what instead :confused::confused: the contemporary, jazz, burlesque, hip-hop..... like on Dancing with the stars in the U.S. :confused: . No thank you.

I like the format as it is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it :cool:
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Compare and contract with Erin's choreography to exactly the same music for a gifted but not previously experienced dancer.

Oh, I have enjoyed watching that again.
  • Options
    tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edy10 wrote: »
    And to introduce what instead :confused::confused: the contemporary, jazz, burlesque, hip-hop..... like on Dancing with the stars in the U.S. :confused: . No thank you.

I like the format as it is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it :cool:

Is that true though? It may not actually be broke yet but the cracks are becoming more obvious and someone is standing by with a big hammer (the introduction of dances just as you mention) to pound it into oblivion.

It's okay at the minute (although things are becoming more and more blurred) but as boundaries merge even more, there'll be almost no point calling the dances anything any more. Simply say -

"Dancing a party Latin..."
    "Dancing a nice, slow Ballroom..."
    "Dancing a dramatic Latin/Ballroom..."
    "Dancing a schmaltzy Latin/Ballroom..."
    "Dancing a flashy Latin/Ballroom with lifts and stuff..."
    "Dancing any old carp..."
  • Options
    kaloukkalouk Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching Erin and Austin is a reality check for me. Comparing that to what we are being served up now. I know Austin was a good dancer but standards have dropped, it was so clean and classy, no tacky props on the floor or gimmicks just letting the dancing do the talking. Strictly at it's best!
  • Options
    nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muggsy wrote: »
    Another one who's just read this on the Post of the Day thread so I won't quote it all. Just want to add that the jive used to be hard for tall people. Now it's hard for everybody.

Don't they describe all the dances as hard these days.
  • Options
    franglemandfranglemand Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muggsy wrote: »
    Another one who's just read this on the Post of the Day thread so I won't quote it all. Just want to add that the jive used to be hard for tall people. Now it's hard for everybody.

Particularly men though. Along with rumba, cha cha cha, waltz, posture, footwork, arms, hands, smiling, getting dressed and tying their shoelaces. Poor men. It's all so very difficult for them. Women on the other hand are all naturally graceful, sexy, self-confident sirens who never have to worry about a thing because the male pro fixes everything for them. Isn't it wonderful?

I don't want the Latin dances to be removed but I would like to see some sort of consistency with the rules. Are lifts allowed or not and if they're not, will the judges penalise? Will they only penalise if the celeb was going to be given over a certain score in the first place? Should x amount of the dance be in hold, should the celeb have to perform a certain number of basic steps or not? I re-watched Austin's foxtrot and ended up watching Lisa's cha cha cha again as well out of curiosity because it was in the side bar. If Lisa could manage that, Pixie surely could have done as well (she's a better overall dancer than Lisa and I'm afraid I'm someone who doesn't think Lisa's cha cha cha was a 40 dance) but I suspect that so much time was spent on clever tricks that Trent and Pixie skimped a bit on the basic technique. I do understand that the routines need to be crowd-pleasing and the way to do that isn't to make sure everyone can execute a perfect fleckel or feather step but I would personally like to see a bit more of a compromise. As it stands, an awful lot of routines end up looking more or less the same and that makes things less interesting.
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    natalian wrote: »

I think my absolute favourite was the 'hard if you've already done some dancing because you have to unlearn what you've been taught' comment from this year. Yes, I'm sure Scott was grateful daily that he had nothing to unlearn ;-)
  • Options
    tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    natalian wrote: »

Well they are. The "Oops Upside Your Head" is terribly hard, the "Birdie Song" is fiendishly difficult and the "YMCA" is an absolute bugger. Particularly for men. And women. And tall people. And short ones. And one-legged hermaphrodites from Milton Keynes.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimi dlc wrote: »
    I'm not a dancer, but in earlier series I could recognise what dance style they were attempting. I could tell a waltz from a Foxtrot, a samba from a Salsa.
    Now half the time I can only narrow it down to Ballroom or Latin

I do dance and sometimes I can't even tell!
  • Options
    DeltaBluesDeltaBlues Posts: 4,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Particularly men though. Along with rumba, cha cha cha, waltz, posture, footwork, arms, hands, smiling, getting dressed and tying their shoelaces. Poor men. It's all so very difficult for them. Women on the other hand are all naturally graceful, sexy, self-confident sirens who never have to worry about a thing because the male pro fixes everything for them. Isn't it wonderful?

The exception is the Paso Doble, Nice Young Gels are allowed to find the Paso hard because they are Too Nice to make angry face and stomp around like a bull (or is it the cape?)
  • Options
    rachymacrachymac Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have asked my mum several times this year if she caught what the dance was before they started, because it's been impossible to tell once they're dancing. Particularly AS / Foxtrot (I swear I used to be able to tell the difference) and Salsa / Samba - they shouldn't look the same!!!!!
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just dump the Rumba, it's a curse and no one likes it when it's done well and the celebs never ever get it any where near right.
  • Options
    tortoisepersontortoiseperson Posts: 3,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DeltaBlues wrote: »
    The exception is the Paso Doble, Nice Young Gels are allowed to find the Paso hard because they are Too Nice to make angry face and stomp around like a bull (or is it the cape?)

Nice Young Gels are also allowed to shy away from Dirty Sexy Rumbahs of Filth.
  • Options
    mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rachymac wrote: »
    I have asked my mum several times this year if she caught what the dance was before they started, because it's been impossible to tell once they're dancing. Particularly AS / Foxtrot (I swear I used to be able to tell the difference) and Salsa / Samba - they shouldn't look the same!!!!!

I was convinced that Mark's Las vegas dance was a Samba because "woman wearing cossie with feathers on bum" is in the Samba rule book.
    Turns out it was a salsa
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hamlet77 wrote: »
    Just dump the Rumba, it's a curse and no one likes it when it's done well and the celebs never ever get it any where near right.

Nope, is awesome telly. Not always for the right reasons.

The only time it annoys me is when some try to turn it into some fakey ballet tortured thing.

I don't even mind it a bit thrashy, ole Camilla used to do the total carwash Rhumba, great fun.
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hamlet77 wrote: »
    Just dump the Rumba, it's
    a curse and no one likes it when it's done well and the celebs never
    ever get it any where near right.

Pah, the rumba gets so much stick. When done right, (Rachel, Colin, Kara, Matt DA) it can be amazing. :cry:
  • Options
    pennybelpennybel Posts: 5,223
    Forum Member
    The dances have been approaching random over the past few series to the point where we really have got to the following:

Waltz, foxtrot, VW - American smooth with these dances as a base. Bonus points for faffing abaht unless Len has PMS in which case you'll get an earful for no apparent reason.

Quickstep - May be the only ballroom dance that still pretty much resembles what it says on the tin. Don't worry about gapping at all. If you can get a bus between you and your partner, that's about right. Doesn't always have to be that quick either. A laboured effort can still gain you maximum scores.

Tango - Actually, this still looks vaguely like what it's supposed to a lot of the time. You're quite likely to get stuck with a daft theme and carp music for this one though.

American Smooth - Any old b*ll*cks done in ballroom dress. Make sure you never come near each other except for lifts. Sit down on the steps, write a letter to your (dead) nan, feel free to launch into a tap routine in the middle somewhere. Just make sure it has "OLD HOLLYWOOD GLAMOUR!"

Cha cha, salsa, samba - general mash-up party Latin. Feel free to add some disco. You may want to include a couple of genuine moves from the dance you were supposed to be doing but this will not necessarily get you bonus points. Shake your hips and @rse, cahm aht and give it some and you'll be fine.

Rumba - Another one that hasn't changed so much over the years. Can be sensual or raunchy depending on what the judges are looking for this week. Unfortunately, you won't know which until after you've performed it.

Paso Doble - A lottery. You may get decent music and be able to do it justice. Or you may get shoved into a spacesuit and have to perform to "I Lost My Heart To a Starship Trooper". Luck of the draw.

Jive - Kicks, flicks, side by side, fast. That's all you need to know.

Charleston - Backwards, forwards, side by side, fast. Much gurning. The more the better. Swivel? We don't need no bleedin' swivel.

Argentine Tango - F*** knows. Least of all the judges.

Apologies if I've missed any. They all blur into one big mush now.

THINK A COPY OF THE ABOVE SHOULD BE SENT TO THE JUDGES>>>>> BRILLIANT
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    mimi dlc wrote: »
    I was convinced that Mark's Las vegas dance was a Samba because "woman wearing cossie with feathers on bum" is in the Samba rule book.
    Turns out it was a salsa

I have been dancing salsa for 15 years or more and I assure you I have never worn a tail feather - nor would I. :D
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    I would say a return to basics rather than scrapping them

Agreed, too many professional pad them out with disco and lifts and the judges are too inclined to let it go and therefore encourage it.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    olivej wrote: »
    I do dance and sometimes I can't even tell!

It's not just you!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The dances have been approaching random over the past few series to the point where we really have got to the following:

Waltz, foxtrot, VW - American smooth with these dances as a base. Bonus points for faffing abaht unless Len has PMS in which case you'll get an earful for no apparent reason.

Quickstep - May be the only ballroom dance that still pretty much resembles what it says on the tin. Don't worry about gapping at all. If you can get a bus between you and your partner, that's about right. Doesn't always have to be that quick either. A laboured effort can still gain you maximum scores.

Tango - Actually, this still looks vaguely like what it's supposed to a lot of the time. You're quite likely to get stuck with a daft theme and carp music for this one though.

American Smooth - Any old b*ll*cks done in ballroom dress. Make sure you never come near each other except for lifts. Sit down on the steps, write a letter to your (dead) nan, feel free to launch into a tap routine in the middle somewhere. Just make sure it has "OLD HOLLYWOOD GLAMOUR!"

Cha cha, salsa, samba - general mash-up party Latin. Feel free to add some disco. You may want to include a couple of genuine moves from the dance you were supposed to be doing but this will not necessarily get you bonus points. Shake your hips and @rse, cahm aht and give it some and you'll be fine.

Rumba - Another one that hasn't changed so much over the years. Can be sensual or raunchy depending on what the judges are looking for this week. Unfortunately, you won't know which until after you've performed it.

Paso Doble - A lottery. You may get decent music and be able to do it justice. Or you may get shoved into a spacesuit and have to perform to "I Lost My Heart To a Starship Trooper". Luck of the draw.

Jive - Kicks, flicks, side by side, fast. That's all you need to know.

Charleston - Backwards, forwards, side by side, fast. Much gurning. The more the better. Swivel? We don't need no bleedin' swivel.

Argentine Tango - F*** knows. Least of all the judges.

Apologies if I've missed any. They all blur into one big mush now.

Thank you for a much needed laugh today :D:D. Brilliant :D
    Sadly there's a lot of truth in it though....somehow I think that the standards regarding some dances have dropped over the years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slightly off-topic, the other day I was checking out the France, Australian version of strictly and I couldn't believe what I was seeing in most of the routines :o:o

The rumba looked like a showdance, had lifts, the waltz, QS ...unrecognizable :o...I couldn't believe it :o....they're almost no rules :confused:

At least strictly and dancing with the stars manage to keep things semi-traditional.
  • Options
    Mr CellophaneMr Cellophane Posts: 2,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Apart from the valid points about the dance, another thing struck me in this clip - the studio - it just looked like a mock up of a ballroom, plain and simple, no light show designed by someone on acid, or daft props, or sky hooks in sight !
    Ah the good old days!
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    edy10 wrote: »
    Slightly off-topic, the other day I was checking out the France, Australian version of strictly and I couldn't believe what I was seeing in most of the routines :o:o

The rumba looked like a showdance, had lifts, the waltz, QS ...unrecognizable :o...I couldn't believe it :o....they're almost no rules :confused:

At least strictly and dancing with the stars manage to keep things semi-traditional.

And isn't it the Argentine version that has near naked couples practically simulating sex in their show? Or did I make that up?