Emmerdale: Will Alicia be blamed for what Lachlan did to her?

Comments

• Whitehouse95Whitehouse95 Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »
    Google "Slutwalk" it's a protest campaign to end the blaming of rape victims. The campaigners say no one deserves to be raped or sexually assaulted because of what they were wearing or how much they'd had to drink or for any other reason. Slutwalk takes place in a few countries including the UK, usually in London.

Yup and they also raise awareness about male survivors of sexual assault, which is something certain misogynist men online seem to whine about, "feminists don't care about male victims". In many cases this is bullshit. Besides, there are men's rights groups who support feminists such as the Good Men Project
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope she isn't blamed, it's so wrong
  • GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    I hope she isn't blamed, it's so wrong

She might not be, but the police will certainlg have tl investigate Lachlan's claims, given that he's a minor. They probably won't get enough evidence to charge her but it will still be very distressing for the whole family. As i see it, the only real evidence is the photos which I suspect Chrissie or Lachlan will delete. It's her word against his otherwise and possibly not enough evidence for either to be prosecuted. Hopefully they won't find any evidence to back up Lachlans claims but equally they may well not find enough to charge him.
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it in the general section?

Given the topic, it must have been, but my memory isn't great regarding details. I just remember a lot of "complaining over nothing", "she should be flattered", "soon we won't be able to say/do anything", "she could have at least smiled at him", "she looks miserable" and the ridiculous "skimpy outfit" comment. Our gender can't really win when it comes to this. I wouldn't want to smile out of fear of being accused of encouraging someone, but then I'd be accused of being miserable :(

I remember someone over on the Big Brother section claiming that women shouldn't go out by themselves to avoid being attacked. This was another quote from a male poster about Chloe who had her robe pulled open by another contestant:

"The slapper milked it more than a masseuse doing a prostate massage. If she were the girl next door, that would be one thing, but when you've built a "career" (yeah I know - pathetic isn't it), on exploiting your sexuality, then it all rings rather hollow".

Comments like that make me detest the sexism I see on here every single day. Just about every female character has been called a slag or slapper at one point. It's disgusting, but "just a joke".
    Jeans and t shirt skimpy? Wow then I must be a ****! Whatever I wear, whatever I drink no one has the right to sexually assault me. What about men who are raped? Does anyone ask what they were wearing?

I'm a regular thot. Obviously if I'm sexually assaulted, it's my fault for showing my arms. Men just can't help themselves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    I can wear a thong for all I care and walk down the street. Does that make me an enabler for rapists? I can't believe that this is even being suggested. Nobody has the right to sexually assault another person.
  • Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google "Slutwalk" it's a protest campaign to end the blaming of rape victims. The campaigners say no one deserves to be raped or sexually assaulted because of what they were wearing or how much they'd had to drink or for any other reason. Slutwalk takes place in a few countries including the UK, usually in London.

Thanks for that. It is good to see these kind of campaigns and well done to the people who take time out and go on the streets to campaign.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can wear a thong for all I care and walk down the street. Does that make me an enabler for rapists? I can't believe that this is even being suggested. Nobody has the right to sexually assault another person.

Exactly. Well said.:)
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP - going from reading your posts on this thread, when you say 'other people might think' is this what you think yourself?
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In no way is Alicia to blame but she has handled it pretty badly. David had already told her that Lachlan has massive crush on her so the last thing she should be doing is being alone with him because its sending the wrong signals. Same with accepting the bag. Alicia should have told Chrissie what he'd done because she'll find out when she sees her bank statement and believe him even more. I just hope everyone else who knows her doesn't start turning against her which is what usually happens in soaps.
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    Matt35 wrote: »
    In no way is Alicia to blame but she has handled it pretty badly. David had already told her that Lachlan has massive crush on her so the last thing she should be doing is being alone with him because its sending the wrong signals. Same with accepting the bag. Alicia should have told Chrissie what he'd done because she'll find out when she sees her bank statement and believe him even more. I just hope everyone else who knows her doesn't start turning against her which is what usually happens in soaps.

I think you make very good points and I agree. I don't think the way Alicia dresses is relevant in this story line at all as it's not some sudden attack. Lachlan has been effectively stalking her and now that he has said they are boyfriend and girlfriend, how she dresses doesn't seem to play any part in it.

As for Alicia not being assertive enough in putting Lachlan straight though I do agree with you I think there's been a little bit of dramatic licence here to get the story line to move forward. Alicia hasn't acted very realistically here but sometimes this is the case on soaps just to move things forward.
  • Anya DAnya D Posts: 14,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have much preferred that Alicia be sober and more covered up just to eliminate the sadly obvious, varying degrees of "she asked for it..." that would follow.
    Unless they were to have Lachlan lunge at her, they needed to have her in the more vulnerable state that alcohol left her to a more opportunistic, sneak move.
    I can't imagine Lachlan would have tried to touch her had she been sitting up sober on the sofa and he'd had to use force.

I am hoping his mother, while being supportive of him, will finally realise he has some major issues and get him some help.
  • Anya DAnya D Posts: 14,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is why they had to have her massively drunk, imo.
    She would not have accepted the bag and would have sent him home from the shop, not invited him through to the house and fallen asleep had she been sober.

Lachlan is obviously an inexperienced young man. As horrible as it is to leave any room open for victim blaming, they had to have Alicia in a state to make decisions she would not normally make in order to play out this storyline.
    Full grown adults don't always send or interpret clear signals. In order to not demonise Lachlan entirely, I think they had to create some room for Alicia's behaviour to be questioned.

I really don't think I've articulated my thoughts particularly well, but hopefully people will see what my intention is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you make very good points and I agree. I don't think the way Alicia dresses is relevant in this story line at all as it's not some sudden attack. Lachlan has been effectively stalking her and now that he has said they are boyfriend and girlfriend, how she dresses doesn't seem to play any part in it.

As for Alicia not being assertive enough in putting Lachlan straight though I do agree with you I think there's been a little bit of dramatic licence here to get the story line to move forward. Alicia hasn't acted very realistically here but sometimes this is the case on soaps just to move things forward.

Really don't understand what she wears has anything to do with this. Chrissie has seen all the pics on Lachlan's camera so I find it ridiculous that she doesn't see that he's got some serious problems. I still believe that her dad paid off the family of the last girl he was stalking which she might find out about if he tries it again with Alicia only she might tell Chrissie where they can stick their money leading her to the truth about the last girl.
  • samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, but Alicia believed he was just a nice boy with a crush. Teenage boys get them she just tried to handle the situation more sensitively.

It turned out to be the wrong thing to do because Lachlan is different from the average teenager and took it as meaning something else.

Alicia could not have predicted this without the information that we all have from Chrissie and through his stalking, picture taking behaviour. None of this can be put on Alicia, imo, any way you look at it. Lachlan has form according to his own mother, who was about to warn Alicia about him before Robert stepped in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samcains90 wrote: »
    Yes, but Alicia believed he was just a nice boy with a crush. Teenage boys get them she just tried to handle the situation more sensitively.

It turned out to be the wrong thing to do because Lachlan is different from the average teenager and took it as meaning something else.

Alicia could not have predicted this without the information that we all have from Chrissie and through his stalking, picture taking behaviour. None of this can be put on Alicia, imo, any way you look at it. Lachlan has form according to his own mother, who was about to warn Alicia about him before Robert stepped in.

I agree. I do not think Alicia would have been alone with him, if she knew he was going to attack him. She wasn't to know he would touch her. He is a few years older than Jacob, so obviously thought he was harmless.
    Forum Member

I don't think Alicia should have been more assertive with Lachlan about lines and boundaries to stop him attacking her because of course she wouldn't have even dreamed of that but she should have been so just to put a stop to his crush or make him realise the pointlessness of the crush. I think the Valentine's fiasco never mind him buying the bag should have alerted Alicia and David big time.

What I find a bit distasteful about it all is David keep mentioning Chrissie's investment in the shop almost suggesting it was because of this he didn't do more and I do think he should have been straighter and clearer with Alicia as he really did have serious suspicions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next week the police
    drop the investigation much to Chrissie 's outrage.
    so im not sure where this story is going.
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With hindsight, both David and Alicia, and even young Jacob, had reservations about Lachlan's behaviour. David held back on telling Lachlan to keep out of the shop as he didn't want to lose the offer of running the new shop at Home Farm. We can all be wise after the event. The boy who plays Jacob is a good actor and it will be interesting to see how he is brought in to the story.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Alicia should have been more assertive with Lachlan about lines and boundaries to stop him attacking her because of course she wouldn't have even dreamed of that but she should have been so just to put a stop to his crush or make him realise the pointlessness of the crush. I think the Valentine's fiasco never mind him buying the bag should have alerted Alicia and David big time.

What I find a bit distasteful about it all is David keep mentioning Chrissie's investment in the shop almost suggesting it was because of this he didn't do more and I do think he should have been straighter and clearer with Alicia as he really did have serious suspicions.

It still seems to me that you are trying to put some of the blame on Alicia and even some on David. I may be wrong but that's just how you're coming across.

Alicia was just being a good friend to Chrissie, letting her son have a job and making him feel a part of the village and helping him settle in. Lachlan took advantage of Alicia's kind nature and exploited it.

It's all very well and good saying someone should have done this and someone should have done that and all this would have been avoided, but someone shouldn't have to worry that they are going to be attacked especially in their own home.
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    It still seems to me that you are trying to put some of the blame on Alicia and even some on David. I may be wrong but that's just how you're coming across.

Alicia was just being a good friend to Chrissie, letting her son have a job and making him feel a part of the village and helping him settle in. Lachlan took advantage of Alicia's kind nature and exploited it.

It's all very well and good saying someone should have done this and someone should have done that and all this would have been avoided, but someone shouldn't have to worry that they are going to be attacked especially in their own home.

I agree with you. Alicia is not the one in the wrong. Lachlan is entirely to blame. He's even stalked before so this isn't new behaviour. His mother knows something is going on but right now she's in denial. He was asked by his mother about the photos so he KNOWS he's doing something wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you. Alicia is not the one in the wrong. Lachlan is entirely to blame. He's even stalked before so this isn't new behaviour. His mother knows something is going on but right now she's in denial. He was asked by his mother about the photos so he KNOWS he's doing something wrong.

And his reason that it was for Jacob's book was just mad. Them PIC were without Alicia's knowledge and very creepy.
    Forum Member

What do you mean still :confused: Have I done this before.

My problem with it is more the unrealistic aspects of it rather than victim blaming. If I was Alicia and a 14 year old showed the excessive interest in me that he has her then I would have made it plain that he was acting inappropriately. I think most people would in the real world but I'm tolerating Alicia not doing this because I think it was the only way the story line could move forward. I thinks it's a bit clumsy and naff but soap story lines often are and often are unrealistic.

It is a fantastic story line otherwise and really well played so I'm happy to just go along with the wee unrealistic elements.

However with reference to David suggesting he didn't want to get rid of Lachlan from the shop or act too harshly towards him because it might jeopardise Chrissie's financial help, I have no tolerance for. That is totally unacceptable. However he did also go and see Lachlan and tell him to stay away, it just would have been better if he'd been more open with Alicia about this. There's soaps for you again, unrealistic and a bit silly at times.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's all very well and good saying someone should have done this and someone should have done that and all this would have been avoided, but someone shouldn't have to worry that they are going to be attacked especially in their own home

Good post.:) I agree.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean still :confused: Have I done this before.

My problem with it is more the unrealistic aspects of it rather than victim blaming. If I was Alicia and a 14 year old showed the excessive interest in me that he has her then I would have made it plain that he was acting inappropriately. I think most people would in the real world but I'm tolerating Alicia not doing this because I think it was the only way the story line could move forward. I thinks it's a bit clumsy and naff but soap story lines often are and often are unrealistic.

It is a fantastic story line otherwise and really well played so I'm happy to just go along with the wee unrealistic elements.

However with reference to David suggesting he didn't want to get rid of Lachlan from the shop or act too harshly towards him because it might jeopardise Chrissie's financial help, I have no tolerance for. That is totally unacceptable. However he did also go and see Lachlan and tell him to stay away, it just would have been better if he'd been more open with Alicia about this. There's soaps for you again, unrealistic and a bit silly at times.

Fine.
    It seems to me that you are trying to put some of the blame on Alicia and even some on David. I may be wrong but that's just how you're coming across.

I already invited you to prove me wrong, I interpreted the things you were saying a certain way and addressed those issues with you.

I see what you are saying about certain unrealistic actions taken by certain characters bugging you, but I don't think anyone has acted unrealistically character wise. David has always buried his head in the sand when it comes to confrontation so, if anything, it was unrealistic of him to charge up to Home Farm and berate Lachlan. Alicia also acted in character tackling the issue with Lachlan himself more sensitively.

Just because you would have behaved a certain way in a certain situation doesn't make it unrealistic for another person not to behave that same way.

I appreciate that you are not victim blaming, as you say though so thank you for correcting me.
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think it was that unrealistic. As far as Alicia was concerned it was a harmless teenage crush. Nothing to be acted upon and no reason to not be friendly with him. Even if he'd made a pass at her and she rejected him that wouldn't have been the end of the world. Of course what actually happened was really quite harrowing and I found it very uncomfortable to watch. I expected a sexual assault of some form but the way it was done made it particularly difficult to watch.

The one think that puzzled me though is that surely Alicia and David would've told Chrissie about the handbag. It would be strange for a teenage boy to have the money to pay for that without his parents knowing. That, along with the photos (which clearly weren't for the album gift) would've alerted Chrissie to what was going on.

Natalie Anderson was superb by the way. She's one of the better actresses ED have.