Crap Sky Boxes

koloisadkoloisad Posts: 47
Forum Member
The quality of all sky boxes is absolute crap, I have a sky HD box that keeps turning its self off, and a sky plus box that freezes at least once a day. I know people say that its because their more like computers, but I have three computers that never give me a problem.

Comments

• mickbirch2000mickbirch2000 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    koloisad wrote: »
    The quality of all sky boxes is absolute crap, I have a sky HD box that keeps turning its self off, and a sky plus box that freezes at least once a day. I know people say that its because their more like computers, but I have three computers that never give me a problem.

Yes Sky boxes are made down to a price, how they ever got away with selling Thomson boxes that are frankly dangerous should be investigated by Ofcom.
    Faulty PSU boards are the most likely cause of fire in faulty electronic equipment.
    I have a couple of 11yr old Ondigital boxes, philips/Nokia that are still going strong on freeview.
    Also Sky are very ameturish with their implementation of software & the HDMI on Sky+HD boxes.
    But we are stuck with them unless you are in Virgin territory.
    :mad:
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,498
    Forum Member
    Faulty PSU boards are the most likely cause of fire in faulty electronic equipment.

Sorry, but you're talking utter rubbish - fires in electronic equipment are EXTREMELY rare - and the rubbish capacitors in Thomson ones don't cause any such problems.

And why would the poor design of a box be of any concern to OFCOM?.
  • packerbullypackerbully Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well my Thomson is over 2 years old - used every day - records at least 3 to 4 hours every day - not one problem ever.

You only hear of issues when there are problems.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have spent the last 3 or 4 years installing ex sub sky boxes, ie 2 or 3 year old, here in the South of France. I have found them to be EXTREMLY RELIABLE with a failure rate of well under 5% within 4 years of installation.
    Sky+ boxes are i understand another matter and i am very lucky that 99% of my customers have decided to stick with the FTA Bog Standard digibox. they seem rathe unreliable.
    i personally use a couple of thompson digiboxes, In fact these were units i didn't think good enough for my customers, and they are still going strong 4 years down the line.
    unfortunately we live in a world where price is deemed the most important factor rather than longevity.... but that is another subject!!
    Sky Boxes pre 'Flow design' are certainly better quality than most of the generic Sat receivers generally available in the shops and i am sure better made than the SD freesat boxes!!! especially if they have been given a refurb and have had any dodgy components replaced.
    The Skyman
  • ozsatozsat Posts: 5,744
    Forum Member
    I had a pint of milk once which was off - and another which didn't smell too good.

Why is all milk off?

Seriously though - just because you have had problems with two boxes - doesn't mean much.

I have 2 Sky+ and 3 HD boxes here - all are fine!
  • Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,743
    Forum Member
    The OP must be extremely unlucky or misuses his equipment. My experience is that all their boxes are very reliable.
  • mickbirch2000mickbirch2000 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OP must be extremely unlucky or misuses his equipment. My experience is that all their boxes are very reliable.

Wow you have been lucky, I had a ver1 Pace Sky+ box that was OK for 2years, but Thomson Sky+hd boxes have been a nightmare, just speak to the a Sky installer...
    & yes some of them do get dangerously hot
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The "thomson problem" has done a lot to lessen sky's reputation.

Most of us agree that once upgraded properly (i.e NOT "refurbished" by sky) they are good reliable and well built boxes.

I still think sky have done themselves a great diss service by not acknowledging the thomson PSU capacitor problems, and by not upgrading them before sending "refurbished" boxes back to customers.

Perhaps the OP has a Thomson Sky HD and a Thomson sky+ both with failed capacitors in the PSU? If so get them fixed properly and they will once more be good relaible boxes.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inductive reasoning is flawed...
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ProDave wrote: »
    The "thomson problem" has done a lot to lessen sky's reputation.

I don't believe it has at all.

The same issue exists with Thomson's boxes for Top Up TV, yet you might not have heard about that.

The people on this board might know about the issue, but the vast majority of people in the UK don't, so it wont have had any impact on Sky's reputation.
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many years ago, in the good old days of analogue TV, I had a farmer complain continually that none of the Sky boxes were any good. This continued until I made a visit and discovered that his mains supply voltage was only 180v. In those days, even the PSUs were "analogue" and they couldn't cope with low voltage - producing two (100Hz) horizontal bands on the TV screen!
  • Willie WontieWillie Wontie Posts: 2,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The quality of all sky boxes is absolute crap

...except for my two Sky boxes (one Sky+, one Sky+ HD) which are fine. Oh, and my girlfriend's Sky+ HD box. Oh, and my mum's Sky+ and standard Sky box. Oh, and my mate's....... (continues ad infinitum)