Options

Any joggers out there?

xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm going to start jogging next week. I've not done it before and don't even know if I can run properly! I do go the gym for circuits and spinning but feel this extra aerobic activity will help with weight loss. I think I'm fit but know I need to lose weight. Any tips or advice? Many thanks.

Comments

• Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    xbling wrote: »
    I'm going to start jogging next week. I've not done it before and don't even know if I can run properly! I do go the gym for circuits and spinning but feel this extra aerobic activity will help with weight loss. I think I'm fit but know I need to lose weight. Any tips or advice? Many thanks.

If your reason for jogging is to lose excess weight then you really must be aware of your calorie intake as a primary factor.

Many people believe that taking up exercise will automatically ensure weight loss; ironically, it very often leads the unwary into a puzzling ‘increase’ in weight, due to a heightened appetite.

It’s well known scientifically, that exercise on its own does not play a significant part in weight reduction.

There are tables & graphs that show, for example, how much jogging you need to do to burn off the calories from a range a sample foods; banana, donut, burger etc; it’s very surprising.

Good luck pounding the pavement.

P.S. I don’t jog these days; I’m happy to be in agreement with Johnny Vegas when he said “what’s the point of having a 6-pack, when you’ve got a full barrel !”.......merry Xmas. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Google Couch to 5K podcast. Will give you everything you need to get going.
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,898
    Forum Member
    Once you get going and if you have a smart-ish phone, you could download one of the many applications (such as mapmyrun) that record your run for posterity. It might help you with motivation and target beating or just purely to see how far you've gone daily/monthly/annually.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love running and jogging! Can't wait to get back to it after I've had my baby.

I'm going to guess you have a good level of fitness already due to the spinning and circuits. Running is great for so much - losing weight, toning up, increased cardiovascular health and it's great for the mental health too - I always feel good after a run if I've felt sad or angry before.

Couch to 5k plans are great. A lot of people hate running and give up after a couple of weeks - stick with it. I hated it for the first month or so and then it turned to love. You just need to break through the pain barrier. That said, be careful not to do too much. Rest days are important so don't run every day as it can be too much for your joints. Stretch and cool down before and after. I always finish my runs with a 5 minute walk or so to cool down and stretch out - it helps with muscle soreness the next day. If you can't maintain a pace, slow down until you're comfortable.

Make sure you've got suitable footwear. If you're a girl, get a decent sports bra!

Good luck and enjoy it! Like I said, I hated it to begin with, but I now have a marathon under my belt, a pretty successful running blog and I lost a stone and a half. I'm also much happier :)
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    Google Couch to 5K podcast. Will give you everything you need to get going.

Google NHS Couch to 5K for some podcasts that will guide you.

However...

I started running last year, at the age of 40, using those podcasts. But there are things they don't tell you. I did everything right - bought correct footwear after an assessment of my gait; did some exercises at home first; stretched, etc. However, on my very first run outdoors, using those podcasts (i.e. a minute of running then 90 secs of walking), I bust my knee.

My physio explained that this was related to my lack of core strength, and that essentially my kneecap was not being held in the correct groove, thus the injury. So my suggestion is that you build some core strength first. I was shown to squeeze a football between my knees, then with back to the wall, bend my legs and push back up again, 20 times x 3 times/day. It really helped.

Despite this, a year on, I reached 30 min runs, but have since had to return to much shorter runs, as I can't stop hurting myself, shins especially. I have to pull up in some pain after no more than 5 mins, which is utterly disheartening.

So... whatever you do... my advice is don't just start running. Build up some core strength first.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Helsie wrote: »
    You just need to break through the pain barrier.

I'm not medically qualified, but I have to say that my physio thought this was the worst possible advice. Sorry... but we're not supposed to be in pain.

He also thought that the Couch to 5K plans were good, but took you too fast. He suggested building to a plateau, then sticking with that for 4 weeks, then going up again.
  • Options
    xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the advice. Looking forward to it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    I'm not medically qualified, but I have to say that my physio thought this was the worst possible advice. Sorry... but we're not supposed to be in pain.

He also thought that the Couch to 5K plans were good, but took you too fast. He suggested building to a plateau, then sticking with that for 4 weeks, then going up again.

Your physio is of course right and I should have made myself clearer! By breaking through the pain barrier, I meant that it will be uncomfortable to begin with and people often give up for this reason. There is a difference between being uncomfortable and being in pain. Things to watch out for in terms of pain include shin splints, joint pain etc and of course these are things you should not attempt to push through. I tried to train for a half marathon with tendonitis and suffered the consequences.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Helsie wrote: »
    Your physio is of course right and I should have made myself clearer! By breaking through the pain barrier, I meant that it will be uncomfortable to begin with and people often give up for this reason. There is a difference between being uncomfortable and being in pain. Things to watch out for in terms of pain include shin splints, joint pain etc and of course these are things you should not attempt to push through. I tried to train for a half marathon with tendonitis and suffered the consequences.

Do you have any hints on getting over shin splints? No matter what I do, I seem to be plagued by them. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Krispen WahKrispen Wah Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    Google NHS Couch to 5K for some podcasts that will guide you.

Excellent advice - that's how I started in June of last year (I was 38 at the time) and by December I'd run my first 10k. This year I've gone even better and now I'm clearing about 20 miles per week.

Make sure you get some real running shoes (most reputable running shops will measure your gait for free and advise you on the right footwear) but don't be fooled in to thinking you need to pay hundreds - the shoes I bought about 2 months ago cost £50 and they do me fine. In fact an incorrect gait can be the cause of most cases of shin splints but to avoid those you should run on grass or track where possible. You can get away with pavement but if you get the chance to go off-road then do so.

Do loads of gentle stretches before and after running, this is essential and join a running club - the vast majority will have a beginner's group. Also do a google for your local Parkrun, they do timed 5k runs every Saturday and is an excellent way to measure your progress. Notice I said 'run', not 'race' - nobody gets anything to coming in first place - you're racing against yourself, not the others :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do you have any hints on getting over shin splints? No matter what I do, I seem to be plagued by them. Thanks in advance.

I used this method when I had them a few months ago and it worked for me.

As I said earlier get your gait checked out and avoid roads and pavements if you can.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that. I do have the proper shoes for my gait (an over-pronator!) and tend to run around my local cemetery, on their asphalt paths. It's not terribly easy to find grass locally, but if that's the only answer, maybe I need to.

Regretfully, I simply don't have the time or money to join a running club or a gym, which is why I took up running in the first place. It's something I can do for free, in whatever slots and times of day I can manage.

I've looked at the link and will invest in a golf ball! Do running shops sell those foam rollers as the norm?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Asphalt is ok if you can't get off-road but keep an eye out for potential routes as you go about your business ;)

The best place for a foam roller is Amazon - I use this one. As with many things in running you can pay as much as you want to for most things. Some top-end foam rollers can cost upwards of £30 but I buy that one every 6 months or so (they tend to sag in the middle after heavy or long-term use).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What's interesting looking at the various YouTube videos is that they talk about shin splints being on the outside of the leg, but mine have been on the inside, slightly nearer the ankle than the knee.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What's interesting looking at the various YouTube videos is that they talk about shin splints being on the outside of the leg, but mine have been on the inside, slightly nearer the ankle than the knee.

To be honest I've never heard anyone speak of them being on the outside - I'm no physio but shin-splint pain will be somewhere along the inside.

If you also get the pain during your 'off' days then check with a physio as it may be a stress fracture which feels almost exactly the same as shin-splint but is more serious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To be honest I've never heard anyone speak of them being on the outside - I'm no physio but shin-splint pain will be somewhere along the inside.

Thanks again

Yes, it seemed odd to me, too, but the videos all start with outer leg pain!