Which phone?

victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Which one to buy out of Samsung s3 or Nokia Lumia 820?

Best/fastest for internet
Sturdiest
Battery
Music

Comments

• Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Nokia Lumia 820, its an amazing phone, battery is not bad, but not the best, although it you can remove the battery and carry a second one if you needed.

Nokia Lumia 820 is a lot more sturdy, the S3 is known to "creak" and feels cheap and flimsy.

S3 may be better when it comes to music as Android has a large selection of different media players, although the 820 has xbox music, nokia music etc...

Remember that S3 was a flagship phone, where as the 820 wasn't.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    It depends on the OS. The Lumia runs Windows Phone whereas the S3 runs Android. Which one do you prefer?
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have only used the Android system. I tried a Nokia 620 in a EE store & was impressed how slick the Windows OS was. The only down side I can see with the Nokia Window phones is there is no notivication light.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    S3 has apps. 820 won't have the latest and greatest 'original' apps like Instagram although it would have all the ones I want.

The only thing I don't like on Windows Phones is the absolutely shocking performance of Whatsapp.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »
    I have only used the Android system. I tried a Nokia 620 in a EE store & was impressed how slick the Windows OS was. The only down side I can see with the Nokia Window phones is there is no notivication light.

You mean flashing of the camera light?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean flashing of the camera light?

No if someone sends a text message.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    A notification banner flashes up on the lock screen for text messages. The lock screen also shows notification counts for any missed calls, texts and emails etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    A notification banner flashes up on the lock screen for text messages. The lock screen also shows notification counts for any missed calls, texts and emails etc.

Thats the trouble. I want a light that flashes on the front telling you a message has been received rather than having to open up the phone to check.
    Forum Member
    I use a flip-case with mine but I take the view that if it is closed and in my pocket I am not going to see a flashing light anyway. If it is open and by my side I will see the lock screen notifications.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    I use a flip-case with mine but I take the view that if it is closed and in my pocket I am not going to see a flashing light anyway. If it is open and by my side I will see the lock screen notifications.

What is a lock screen notification?
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I have an S3 and it's a great phone. Good screen and camera with zero shutter lag, battery life is average but battery can be upgraded. Can have expandable memory- I have a cheap 80gb card in mine. Large, so it's easy to type on, fast, runs dozens of apps smoothly, never had any problems or slow down on any game I have tried, overall a great phone.

I decieded to forgo the S4, and wait for the Note 3 instead. I think bigger is defintely the way to go. I want something between the size of an S3 and tablet, so it'll still easily fit in a pocket, but is even better to type on and watch videos on. I already do 99% of my posts on here on the S3, so I can't say it is too bad for typing on, but could be even better with a bigger screen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it true there is no FM radio on the Nokia Lumia phones?
    Forum Member
    victor mel wrote: »
    What is a lock screen notification?
    On a Windows Phone (or at least on my Nokia 820) to unlock the phone you press the physical button on the side to wake it up. It will then display the lock screen which can be a picture of your choosing and which you flick up to use the phone (*). You can configure the lock screen to show notifications from your apps. I currently have date and time, next calendar appointment, battery remaining percentage, number of new calls, voicemails, texts and emails.

(*) it may ask for for a PIN at this point which is different to the SIM PIN and which you can set to kick in only after a certain time off non-use - mine is set to the maximum of 30 minutes, or turn off completely.