Police Officer to be charged by RSPCA over dogs left to die in car

Comments

• JonJonBJonJonB Posts: 2,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The RSPCA can prosecute people? My understanding of the legal system just turned on it's head.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JonJonB wrote: »
    The RSPCA can prosecute people? My understanding of the legal system just turned on it's head.

yes they can prosecute people, they were given the powers to do so as an organisation
  • KaliMistKaliMist Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member
    It is the right decision, regardless of whether it was an genuine accident or through pure stupidity, those two poor dogs suffered a horrible death due to this mans actions and he deserves to be punished for it.

Animal abusers get p*ss poor sentences anyway so my guess is a fine and a slap on the wrists, maybe the fact it was police dogs will make a difference in this case though.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is wrong to pre-judge this as we simply don't know the facts. Perhaps he did leave the dogs and went off and had a break, a ****, read the paper. But I suspect that he got involved in an incident in the station (perhaps a difficult arrest) and just didn't realise how much time had elapsed. He may have asked someone to check the dogs and they forgot. We just don't know.

I think this is very different to someone who deliberately left their animal in a car when they went shopping, to the cinema or something like that.

This bloke was at work and on duty and anyone who has worked with the police will know how manic that can get.

When I first heard of this my first instinct was that something had gone terribly wrong and I have to say I think on balance that is still the case.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Various organisations, other than the Police, can prosecute cases.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    So how many people do you think have been prosecuted for leaving their dogs in a car in baking temperatures and the dog suffering or even dying.

Very few I suspect.

The officer made a mistake and no doubt regrets his decision.

He shouldnt have made such a basic mistake though surely. HIS mistake killed to dogs in the worse way.

He should be prosecuted. ANYONE who stupid enough to leave a dog in an oven should be prosecuted.
  • spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am no good at links but if you google 'Telegraph police officers convicted of torturing their dogs' you will get the picture.

These two are so out of order I can't say how bad it makes me feel. I don't even know if they lost their jobs over this?

This case is different and to me it was a bad mistake, and he will still get everything coming to him for doing that. BUT I feel sorry for him and don't see the need for him to be hung up just because he SHOULD have know better.???
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read a report at lunchtime that said he popped into the station for a few minutes and was unexpectedly waylaid. He was then so distressed he was given compassionate leave. I stand by my view that this appears to be a tragic mistake.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wiz Net wrote: »
    I read a report at lunchtime that said he popped into the station for a few minutes and was unexpectedly waylaid. He was then so distressed he was given compassionate leave. I stand by my view that this appears to be a tragic mistake.

Of course it is Wiz.

People don't do all the training to be Police Dog Handlers without having a love for the animals.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No one is saying he meant to do it but nevertheless he was responsible for the dogs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can this man's actions be put under the heading of a mistake. Aren't police officers who handle dogs TRAINED by the police, KNOW about Dogs and what they need. It would seem obvious to me that you should never leave dogs in a car for any length of time in hot weather. What on earth was he doing that he could not look after his dogs properly???. Can you imagine the agony the dogs went through and the amount of barking they must have done to try and tell people of their distress, yet they were ignored. This is truly disgraceful but no doubt he will get a fine of some sort and it will all be forgotten.

I TOTALLY agree with you DG. These dogs were basically COOKED inside an oven. I hope they throw the book at him. There is never any excuse to leave dogs in a car anyway.

What was even worse he was parked right by the kennels, why didnt he simply take the dogs out and hand them over to the kennels for 20 minutes, or even take the dogs out and tie them in the shade.

Those poor dogs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Seems to me the MISTAKE was giving him the dogs to care for in the first place.

Anyone with an ounce of sense should have said to who ever waylaid him look mate I have 2 dogs in the car, wont be a minute just make sure they are ok, will come back and finish off conversation. IF YOU are responsible for a life you dont switch it off from your brain, it should be there in the front of your mind. HOT TODAY, musnt leave rover and grover in the car.

He had a choice to tell who ever was delaying him that he had to deal with his dogs first.

I bet if it had been twin babies would we think it was a mistake. Would he have just popped into the station with 2 young babies strapped in seats in a hot stifling car, and get himself waylaid so the kids died in the heat (they would die just the same as the two dogs). I hardly think so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it wasn't hot that day this tradgedy would not have happened.
    If he would have set fire to them and ment it I could see were some of the lynch mob are coming from.
  • JonJonBJonJonB Posts: 2,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Various organisations, other than the Police, can prosecute cases.
    So, how does that work then, do they just put a case together and hand it over to the CPS like the Police do? Can they go around questioning people, and what happens if someone refuses to cooperate? Genuinely interested.
  • ArtellerArteller Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    I think it's right he should face a court.

If it had been anyone else (ie. an "ordinary" person), there'd be a national public demand for them to be prosecuted.

It's now up to a jury, as it should be, to decide the case.

Seems fair to me.

On the contrary it most likely wouldn't have even been reported in the media.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet if it had been twin babies would we think it was a mistake. Would he have just popped into the station with 2 young babies strapped in seats in a hot stifling car, and get himself waylaid so the kids died in the heat (they would die just the same as the two dogs). I hardly think so.

It has happened, sure I read once about a mum doing the garden and left her baby in the car because they were asleep.
    Such a BAD mistake but why is this a dog/police thing. The man was wrong but I am sure they felt like children to him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spoty wrote: »
    It has happened, sure I read once about a mum doing the garden and left her baby in the car because they were asleep.
    Such a BAD mistake but why is this a dog/police thing. The man was wrong but I am sure they felt like children to him.

Well like I said I hope he doesn't treat his kids the same way.

It isnt a dog/police thing for me its ANYONE STUPID enough to leave dogs in cars should be prosecuted. I have broken a car window before now to get a dog out of a hot car. I would do it again.

They die terrible deaths THEY ARE BOILED ALIVE in 20 minutes.

Makes me puke.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well like I said I hope he doesn't treat his kids the same way.

It isnt a dog/police thing for me its ANYONE STUPID enough to leave dogs in cars should be prosecuted. I have broken a car window before now to get a dog out of a hot car. I would do it again.

They die terrible deaths THEY ARE BOILED ALIVE in 20 minutes.

Makes me puke.

It's all so sad and I am not saying he should not have to face the law. Just feel he will never forgive himself and he did not do it with malice aforethought. That is why I can not hate the guy. [that goes for baby twins or dogs]
  • WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fine, but he was responsible for the care and well being of two living creatures in his charge. What he did, especially as someone who, as part of his job, most likely considers the animals to be part of his family, could be likened to a parent leaving their kids in the car in the office carpark while they had a quick word with their boss.

I doubt people would be very forgiving on such a parent. How is this any different (without saying "it wasn't a kid" - it was still a living creature who was wholly reliant on them)?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why we bother with a legal system in this country. Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? I love the way some people on here condone someone so completely when the actual facts are not known.

Two dogs died and I am sure we all agree that it so tragic. But the actual sequence of events, and if anyone is blame, is surely down to a court of law not trial by DS?

He has been charged, but some people on here have already assumed he is guilty without knowing all the facts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WokStation wrote: »
    Fine, but he was responsible for the care and well being of two living creatures in his charge. What he did, especially as someone who, as part of his job, most likely considers the animals to be part of his family, could be likened to a parent leaving their kids in the car in the office carpark while they had a quick word with their boss.

I doubt people would be very forgiving on such a parent. How is this any different (without saying "it wasn't a kid" - it was still a living creature who was wholly reliant on them)?

What do you want him to get then? 10 years in jail?

The dad at Christmas that took his 2 kids out on their new quad bikes, in the dark and on a road:confused:. The girl died, he was so wrong but would you want him locked up?
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, how does that work then, do they just put a case together and hand it over to the CPS like the Police do? Can they go around questioning people, and what happens if someone refuses to cooperate? Genuinely interested.

Contrary to what was stated earlier in this thread the RSPCA have no special powers. They like any group or individual can take out a private prosecution, which is what they will do in this case.

From their website:
    Private prosecutions

The RSPCA has no special powers to help it do this. Everyone in England and Wales has the right to bring a private prosecution against someone who they believe has committed an offence. This right exists in common law and is preserved by section 6(1) of the Prosecution of Offences Act 1985. The Law Commission reporting in 1998 said, "The right of private prosecution is an important element in the rule of law".

And no you do not have to co-operate with them or agree to be interviewed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    One of the reasons accidents do happen is because of circumstances outwith your control, this was no accident, he was off duty when he called into the HQ and he chose to leave his dogs in that car.
    He was not just an ordinary PC he is a dog handler and that says it all really in my mind, whether he had been delayed in the HQ or not I'm sure there are lots of PC's and other staff in that building so nothing should have prevented him returning to the dogs in the car and were he should not have left them in the first place.
    Whether he is devastated or not nothing in my mind will ever excuse him for the excruciating death he put these beautiful animals through.
    My cats have plenty of places to cool off and several bowls of water even my goldfish have two fans of their own and have ice cubes dropped in during hot weather.
    Common sense is all that is needed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    piper4 wrote: »
    One of the reasons accidents do happen is because of circumstances outwith your control, this was no accident, he was off duty when he called into the HQ and he chose to leave his dogs in that car.
    He was not just an ordinary PC he is a dog handler and that says it all really in my mind, whether he had been delayed in the HQ or not I'm sure there are lots of PC's and other staff in that building so nothing should have prevented him returning to the dogs in the car and were he should not have left them in the first place.
    Whether he is devastated or not nothing in my mind will ever excuse him for the excruciating death he put these beautiful animals through.
    My cats have plenty of places to cool off and several bowls of water even my goldfish have two fans of their own and have ice cubes dropped in during hot weather.
    Common sense is all that is needed.

Yes but do you think he ment it & Would you like him to get years in prison for it?

I think everyone can not believe how stupid he has been, but does that make him a 'bad' person?
    I don't even know how old he is or how much good work with dogs he has done. He might be one of the best cops out there?

He is being taken to court and that is as good as we can ask.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Various organisations carry out investigations, and are subject to the same investigatory laws as the Police, such as PACE, RIPA etc. What they dont have is the same powers of arrest, and entry in most cases. If they need those, they will get Police assistance.

If they decide to prosecute, they will have lawyers they use to ensure all goes smoothly.