Options

BT Launching a up to 300 Mbps broadband service

Comments

• Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what you'd call getting into serious speed territory. Just imagine being able to download at about 37.5 MegaBytes a second. Films would be gotten in the time it would take you to have a pee. This is of course, as long as the sender can max out your bandwidth limit.
  • Options
    supersleuthsupersleuth Posts: 470
    Forum Member
    I wonder if this is going to be a different product to Inifity or an upscaling of Infinity?
  • Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if this is going to be a different product to Inifity or an upscaling of Infinity?

essentially it will be an upscaling,instead of just being Fibre to the Cabinet it will be Fibre to the Premises,so the copper wiring final run in will be done away with
  • Options
    Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bt are also trialing 1gbps internet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will probably get this in about 15 years, not going to get excited yet!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    The FTTP in place at the minute on the fibre trial can download at 1gig already, they're just not using it for that speed. The trial ends on 31st October, then service providers can offer it to their customers. Only in 6 places at the minute though. I'm on a 110 Mb line now :)
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    This is just window dressing both for BT and the government as a cover to deflect attention away from the fact that a huge part of the UK (geographically) are still on speeds little better than dial up.

They will be announcing next they have reached their 2015 goal of the UK having the fastest BB in Europe when a large part of the UK will be no better off then than they are now. :mad:
  • Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Faust wrote: »
    This is just window dressing both for BT and the government as a cover to deflect attention away from the fact that a huge part of the UK (geographically) are still on speeds little better than dial up.

They will be announcing next they have reached their 2015 goal of the UK having the fastest BB in Europe when a large part of the UK will be no better off then than they are now. :mad:

It won't get the average speed up though like they need to compete. At moment the average is around 8 meg having a few houses with this won't bump the average that much.
  • Options
    blackmagicblackmagic Posts: 1,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit useless until it becomes affordable to the average user.
  • Options
    prawn crackersprawn crackers Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit of info on the BT Infinity forum .-

BT announce FTTP and FTTC speed upgrades

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/BT-announce-FTTP-and-FTTC-spped-upgrades/td-p/298543

PC
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    It won't get the average speed up though like they need to compete. At moment the average is around 8 meg having a few houses with this won't bump the average that much.
    See below .....
    Latest study revealed that average fixed-line internet download performance had increased by 10% over the past six months and now stood at 6.8Mbps .....Ofcom
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    BT are at it again. Just trying to grab another headline speed. VM will soon take over by offering a 400mb/s service, I can guarantee it.

BT need to realise that they are not going to gain a huge customer base unless they roll out FTTH as unfortunatly this is the future. The days of legacy copper are finally over. Even VM will soon be forced to upgrade the coax eventually.

FTTH is becoming cheaper to install over copper now.
    Hands up to BT for trying though, Its just a shame 99% of the population wont have access to the service.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering the money they make from line rental, maybe they should put that to some good use and upgrade everything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT are at it again. Just trying to grab another headline speed. VM will soon take over by offering a 400mb/s service, I can guarantee it.

BT need to realise that they are not going to gain a huge customer base unless they roll out FTTH as unfortunatly this is the future. The days of legacy copper are finally over. Even VM will soon be forced to upgrade the coax eventually.

FTTH is becoming cheaper to install over copper now.
    Hands up to BT for trying though, Its just a shame 99% of the population wont have access to the service.

That makes it sound like a bad thing.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before worrying about going to 300Megabits, it would be a good idea if they got places with naff broadband up to a decent speed. Oh I forgot, no money in that.
  • Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Before worrying about going to 300Megabits, it would be a good idea if they got places with naff broadband up to a decent speed. Oh I forgot, no money in that.

I wish this forum had an equivalent of the Facebook 'like' button!

Let's get everyone up to 3mbps before we worry about 300!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think something needs to be done about the very low broadband speeds that people deep in the countryside are getting, I agree. At least get them up to a decent 6Mbits before fully concentrating on this 300Mbits monster.
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    300 Mbps broadband service?

To me, this sounds about as useful as having a car with a maximum speed of 200mph, are you ever going to get full use of it? Even households downloading HD video and serious gaming applications?

If it becomes available and you can see a use for it - go ahead, I think 20Mbits will be ample for me when my exchange is upgraded from 8 in a few weeks time.
  • Options
    too_fast_4_utoo_fast_4_u Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how about updating our bloody exchange first.

1'm sandwiched inbetween 2 exchanges that off INFINITY but our exchange gets left behind despite them digging up the main road through our town to updated the other bloody exchanges.

Virgin ain't around here, people get faster and faster while others are left at the back of the line
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the lucky few probably. I'd be happy to pay more to get above the 3Mbps that I currently get, never mind 300Mbps! I've a feeling that 4G mobile broadband may overtake BT for a lot of people in the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    300 Mbps broadband service?

To me, this sounds about as useful as having a car with a maximum speed of 200mph, are you ever going to get full use of it? Even households downloading HD video and serious gaming applications?

If it becomes available and you can see a use for it - go ahead, I think 20Mbits will be ample for me when my exchange is upgraded from 8 in a few weeks time.

Well, if there's a family using it, the whole lot of them could max out the connection with downloading files and streaming.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »

Why are you moaning now? In recent posts you have said you don't like society, don't like this country much for that matter, are not prepared to help others, "Why bother bla bla bla" so what difference does it make to you what speed others get so long as your allright Jack? Go back and read your posts, this is how you read.

Obviously its much easier to fibre up areas with a denser population. Yes money plays its part but its a business and not a charity. The more profit made means more to spend on isolated areas in the future.
  • Options
    Launch FanLaunch Fan Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    Fun.

York is still on about 2mb.

I blame the Romans.
  • Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Faust wrote: »
    See below .....

6.8mb is shocking really. But my point stand if it's that low now fitting few house with 300meg will not get them where they want.
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Why are you moaning now? In recent posts you have said you don't like society, don't like this country much for that matter, are not prepared to help others, "Why bother bla bla bla" so what difference does it make to you what speed others get so long as your allright Jack? Go back and read your posts, this is how you read.

Obviously its much easier to fibre up areas with a denser population. Yes money plays its part but its a business and not a charity. The more profit made means more to spend on isolated areas in the future.

I agree with all points accept from the last one. What this shown is that is not true. They continue to fiber big areas where the max profits are to made. When there done just go back to big areas and give them faster speeds.

Now yes BT are business and max profit is what there after at the end of day. That is why people receiving low broadband won't get fiber without more government funding and the current funding is not enough especially when there aiming for the fastest average in Europe.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You_mo wrote: »
    For the lucky few probably. I'd be happy to pay more to get above the 3Mbps that I currently get, never mind 300Mbps! I've a feeling that 4G mobile broadband may overtake BT for a lot of people in the future.

It doesn't offer anything like the same kinds of speeds as an Openreach fibre network would. Even Openreach's FTTC network will be way faster than LTE in the real world.