Options

American TV Network Coverage of the Royal baby

RussJRussJ Posts: 206
Forum Member
It seems that the American TV networks have gone overboard for this Royal baby. It sometimes make me wonder why they ever fought the war if they love our Royal family so much.

However, one British pop star currently touring the States was not impressed with one of the reports he has seen where the reporter is unclear who the father of the new baby is!

:eek:

Comments

• Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC did at one stage report

''The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have given birth to a son''

a remarkable medical achievement I haven't seen anywhere else.
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »

He looked quite well considering he'd just given birth
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Try talking virtually continuously all day, I am sure you will make the odd mistake. The newspapers manage it all the time even though they have time to check and correct things.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member

Well, this is interesting. That is, your commenting on it is interesting. It makes me wonder if the UK has been spared something that I notice happening more and more among "politically correct" middle class married couples in the US and Canada, and that is for the husband and wife to talk like they are BOTH pregnant (saying things like "We're pregnant"), as if making a point of the whole thing being a shared experience rather than a wife's burden.
  • Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    None of the above annoys me. What annoys me is announcing HM The Queen as "Queen of England" forgetting the rest of the UK and Commonwealth. England this, England that. Just say the Queen of the UK.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    None of the above annoys me. What annoys me is announcing HM The Queen as "Queen of England" forgetting the rest of the UK and Commonwealth. England this, England that. Just say the Queen of the UK.
    She's not Queen of the Commonwealth. She's only Queen of 16 states within the Commonwealth...
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member

That annoys me to regarding Queen of England. It would be easier if we were known by one single name - the Olympics annoyed me as it should have been Team GB+NI. I do wonder what the people of NI think when people address us all as Great Britain.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Americans love reading about the royal family, they are fascinated by them, of course they don`t have to pay for them.
  • Options
    Object ZObject Z Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    The Americans love reading about the royal family, they are fascinated by them, of course they don`t have to pay for them.

And they wouldn't want a monarchy in the US either.

By the way, I spotted on an American news web site that they were calling us British folk Subjects. Correction US media, we are citizens.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all_night wrote: »
    That annoys me to regarding Queen of England. It would be easier if we were known by one single name - the Olympics annoyed me as it should have been Team GB+NI. I do wonder what the people of NI think when people address us all as Great Britain.

Northern Ireland competitors are not hard done by! They can choose if they want to participate for Ireland or GB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »

Have you ever looked how much POTUS costs them?

He has several 'palaces' and of course a fleet of aircraft and helicopters. I would not be surprised if his car, The Beast, with its backup vehicles costs more than the total cost of all the ones in the garage at Buckingham Palace.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    An American president once mentioned the "King & Queen of England"
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Object Z wrote: »
    And they wouldn't want a monarchy in the US either.

By the way, I spotted on an American news web site that they were calling us British folk Subjects. Correction US media, we are citizens.

No, we are subjects! REPUBLICS have citizens!
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Well, this is interesting. That is, your commenting on it is interesting. It makes me wonder if the UK has been spared something that I notice happening more and more among "politically correct" middle class married couples in the US and Canada, and that is for the husband and wife to talk like they are BOTH pregnant (saying things like "We're pregnant"), as if making a point of the whole thing being a shared experience rather than a wife's burden.

Didn't Thatcher say "we are a grandmother!"?:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

According to the British nationality act 1981 we are now citizens and not subjects
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the British nationality act 1981 we are now citizens and not subjects

Precisely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you were born in the UK before 1 January 1983, you are almost certainly a British citizen. The only exception is if you were born to certain diplomatic staff of foreign missions who had diplomatic immunity.

If you were born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983, you are a British citizen if at the time of your birth one of your parents was:

a British citizen; or
    legally settled in the UK.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/othernationality/Britishcitizenship/borninukorqualifyingterritory/

Be a subject if you wish. Most of the rest of us are citizens.
  • Options
    big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Personally, I couldn't care less.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I suppose we could pay lots of money to some design consultants to come up with a completely incomprehensible single word name but I have no problem with United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Many countries have a longer formal name and a shorter one that is normally used.
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    I suppose we could pay lots of money to some design consultants to come up with a completely incomprehensible single word name but I have no problem with United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Many countries have a longer formal name and a shorter one that is normally used.

That is true, but when some Americans pick England as that name it is insulting to the rest of the UK.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    She's not Queen of the Commonwealth. She's only Queen of 16 states within the Commonwealth...

This reminds me of a few days ago when I was listening to (the very left wing I must say) Australian Broadcasting Corporation's radio broadcasts on the subject. They kept on saying "the British Royal Family" and the "British Queen", it got me thinking, hold on she is your Queen too so they should instead be saying the Royal Family and the Queen. In contrast the CBC in Canada addresses them "Her Majesty" and so on.
  • Options
    tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She's the head of the Commonwealth.

I don't think that she's Empress of India anymore, although he is the Duke of Normandy.
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He has several 'palaces' and of course a fleet of aircraft and helicopters. I would not be surprised if his car, The Beast, with its backup vehicles costs more than the total cost of all the ones in the garage at Buckingham Palace.

But the President`s relatives do not draw income from the state the way the Queen`s family do. Plus the President is elected.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    tedjrr wrote: »
    She's the head of the Commonwealth.

I don't think that she's Empress of India anymore, although he is the Duke of Normandy.

She is head of the Commonwealth. But not Queen of the Commonwealth. The Commonwealth is not a state therefore it cannot have a Monarch.
  • Options
    TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The POTUS does NOT have several "palaces", fleets of aircraft and helicopters to call his own!! The White House is not the Presidents own place, as opposed to Buckingham Place which will always be the home of the Royal Family, as he will have to vacate it when he leaves office in 3 years time, as well as he will have to relinquish all the Air Force One fleets and Marine One fleets, even The Beast, when he leaves office!! He probably has a place in Illinois, where he was a Senator before he became President, and he, obviously, has a place in Hawaii, where he was born. Also, Camp David does not belong to him exclusively as ALL Presidents go there!! But in no way does he have mansions and palaces scattered throughout the country, exhausting citizens taxes, like the Royal Family does here!!

When he leaves office, he will probably have a scaled down security team, as all Presidents do when they leave office, but, for the most part, he will go back to being a normal citizen, like everyone else!!:D:D