Options

A Rant about Driving in the UK.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
Forum Member
I see that there's a motorway driving thread already on the go - I just have a couple of wee observations. Maybe some ideas can come from this, who knows!

For starters, I think if you have an accident, there should really be a retest of sorts. I say this because I know a person (my sister), who has been involved in a few prangs. As a result of this she has next to no confidence in driving at all. I've lost count of the times that she's said to me "oooh, I hate driving in the city it's so busy", or "I hate driving in the snow, I absolutely hate it". I point out to her that her license neither says "this person can only drive in good weather", or "this person is only permitted to drive in small towns and villages"!

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MANDATORY FIVE YEAR TESTS for everyone

you fail
    no license
  • Options
    ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see that there's a motorway driving thread already on the go - I just have a couple of wee observations. Maybe some ideas can come from this, who knows!

For starters, I think if you have an accident, there should really be a retest of sorts. I say this because I know a person (my sister), who has been involved in a few prangs. As a result of this she has next to no confidence in driving at all. I've lost count of the times that she's said to me "oooh, I hate driving in the city it's so busy", or "I hate driving in the snow, I absolutely hate it". I point out to her that her license neither says "this person can only drive in good weather", or "this person is only permitted to drive in small towns and villages"!

Thoughts?

And it still wouldn't after a retest... making it pointless...

Happy to help.
  • Options
    CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..I don't think there should be a re-test I think however that the test should cover more things such as parking in tight spaces both into and parallel and nearer the candidates test date and if the instructor feels they are ready they should be allowed to have a run on motorways.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I wish to god people would learn what their indicators are for and ******* use them!!!!!!
  • Options
    The22ndRachelThe22ndRachel Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish to god people would learn what their indicators are for and ******* use them!!!!!!

This quote basically sums up what goes through my mind when I'm driving.

The amount of people not indicating is crazy - I'm starting to think I missed some kind of national notice saying not to bother with indicating now.
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..I don't think there should be a re-test I think however that the test should cover more things such as parking in tight spaces both into and parallel and nearer the candidates test date and if the instructor feels they are ready they should be allowed to have a run on motorways.

Learners are taught parallel parking....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This quote basically sums up what goes through my mind when I'm driving.

The amount of people not indicating is crazy - I'm starting to think I missed some kind of national notice saying not to bother with indicating now.

Oh it makes me insane, especially at mini-roundabouts when you're waiting, giving way to a car that then speeds off up the road you've just come down. It happens ALL the time where I live. Now I just blast the horn at the them and scream 'haven't you got any ******* indicators'. Almost as bad are people who only indicate when they're already ON the roundabout. I mean what GOOD is THAT.

Along with tail-gating and the breaking of 30mph and 40mph speed limits, the lack of indication is the one thing that drives me nuts on the road.
  • Options
    birdonawirebirdonawire Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thoughts?

My mother in law had an accident with a milk float, a good number of years ago, she did not drive for about five years after, she then decided to drive again.....WTF she was a nightmare. I do wonder about this, after a length of time your ability on the road is not up to scratch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And it still wouldn't after a retest... making it pointless...

Happy to help.

I realise that.

Otherwise, 2/10.
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh it makes me insane, especially at mini-roundabouts when you're waiting, giving way to a car that then speeds off up the road you've just come down. It happens ALL the time where I live. Now I just blast the horn at the them and scream 'haven't you got any ******* indicators'. Almost as bad are people who only indicate when they're already ON the roundabout. I mean what GOOD is THAT.

Along with tail-gating and the breaking of 30mph and 40mph speed limits, the lack of indication is the one thing that drives me nuts on the road.

I'm rubbish at understand people's descriptions but do you mean going straight ahead at a round about?
  • Options
    Forum Member

It's all about habits. I find myself driving home from a mates, at three in the morning, indicating the whole way nary even seeing another car on the way. I even indicate to park in my space at home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    vierte wrote: »
    I'm rubbish at understand people's descriptions but do you mean going straight ahead at a round about?

I mean when you're waiting at a roundabout and the car you're giving way to, instead of either going straight ahead or to the right, goes left instead, meaning that if they were indicating property, with their left indicator on, I could've been on my way instead of having to wait. It's just SELFISH and shows a complete lack of consideration.

And yes, I agree with the other FM. It's a habit. I indicate out of habit. But I saw some snot-faced teenager the other day not using his indicators at all and I thought 'You've probably only just passed your test over the last week, you ****, and already you're not using your indicators, and probably won't for the rest of your pathetic little life'.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makes my day, hogging a B road in my oversized Massey Ferguson. With a tailback of 1/2 a mile behind me.
  • Options
    gkecgkec Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The driving rules in India are very similar to the UK. Observing the different driving styles you wouldn't think so. However it does explain why in the UK traffic can flow freely at high speeds on a motorway and why they don't actually drive very fast in India. Going to India you quickly learn that all rules there are optional.
  • Options
    peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all about habits. I find myself driving home from a mates, at three in the morning, indicating the whole way nary even seeing another car on the way. I even indicate to park in my space at home.

Ah, so you're one of those half-asleep drivers who are oblivious to the fact their indicator is busy flashing away as they amble along are you? I see.
  • Options
    peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For starters, I think if you have an accident, there should really be a retest of sorts.

What if the accident wasn't the driver's fault?
  • Options
    Rocket QueenRocket Queen Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »
    Makes my day, hogging a B road in my oversized Massey Ferguson. With a tailback of 1/2 a mile behind me.

you are naughty and should pull into an appropriate place to let others pass.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you are naughty and should pull into an appropriate place to let others pass.

People are in too much of a hurry these days, if we all had a Tractor the pace of life would be so much better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty sure farmer bob is more into trolling than trowling.
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »
    People are in too much of a hurry these days, if we all had a Tractor the pace of life would be so much better.

but people would just fit big turbos, oversized sewer pipes and those awful boom boom music making machines anyway
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thoughts?

I think you should have joined the existing thread and added to that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure farmer bob is more into trolling than trowling.

Whats trowling when its at home then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something a builder or plasterer would do surely?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I once drove my mates car back from holiday. He sat sideways on in the passenger seat smirking at me for 2+ hours because he thought it was funny I was indicating and generally driving normally.

Our other mate has commented before that he likes me to drive because it's less scary and he's more likely to live through it. :D :eek:
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh it makes me insane, especially at mini-roundabouts when you're waiting, giving way to a car that then speeds off up the road you've just come down.
    I had someone last week do more or less the exact opposite - they were indicating to leave onto the road I was coming from, but quickly changed and kept going round.

Now I know the old "never trust a signal" mantra, but even when I was learning my instructor acknowledged that on busy roundabouts, you have to put a little trust in people's signals, otherwise you'd never get going. It just needs good reactions for if they're fibbing.