Lava Lamp Appreciation Society

Comments

• boolaaboolaa Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just had a thought...Lava lamps are heated by a lightbulb in the base (mine is at least!) so what do we do when 'ordinary' light bulbs are phased out as energy bulbs give out a negligable amount of heat? :eek:
  • I <3 TweetyI <3 Tweety Posts: 8,286
    Forum Member
    I really dislike these... I think they look kind of chavvy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,259
    Forum Member
    boolaa wrote: »
    Just had a thought...Lava lamps are heated by a lightbulb in the base (mine is at least!) so what do we do when 'ordinary' light bulbs are phased out as energy bulbs give out a negligable amount of heat? :eek:
    Very good point but I imagine you will still be able to buy filament lamps. I can't see them being phased out completely. What about things like electric heaters and as you say, lava lamps.

There will still be demand for speciality filament bulbs so I can't see them going anywhere! :)

Hmm... well a stalling point for me I'm afraid.
    Thank you for your recent order with www.lavalampsdirect.co.uk

Unfortunately, we had a database stock error and the lamp you ordered is actually out of stock.

Oh well, will keep my eye out for them in regular high street stores over the weekend!
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They are going to release a version that is backlit by LED's to keep the greenies happy - but they won't tell them about the 2kW heating element tucked away in the bottom ;):p
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member

Very good point - which was why I was going to chuck mine (now reprieved).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I <3 Tweety wrote: »
    I really dislike these... I think they look kind of chavvy.

*gasps* we didnt even have chavs in the 70s!

Actually i think the lamps came out in the 60s, but became more popular in the 70s.
  • Emerald InnsEmerald Inns Posts: 4,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Chief wrote: »

I notice Argos have one at £9.99. It's not as nice a shape (see here) but I do like the red/blue colour combination

How fascinating. The shape of that lava lamp appears to have been modelled on Bernini's early-17th century baldachin at St Peter's, Vatican City.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Het_Baldakijn_van_Bernini_-_The_Baldachinno.jpg

What a very curious world we live in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,259
    Forum Member
    How fascinating. The shape of that lava lamp appears to have been modelled on Bernini's early-17th century baldachin at St Peter's, Vatican City.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Het_Baldakijn_van_Bernini_-_The_Baldachinno.jpg

What a very curious world we live in.
    Haha well there's your link between Argoose and St Peters Basilica! Who'd've thunk it?!

Well... I'm very happy as I nipped over to East Kilbride shopping centre after work today and had a look in the Gadget Shop (aka "G:4")... to no avail. They had a decent range of lava lamps but just not in the shape I wanted. So I headed off to Debenhams, who I knew stocked the "Original Lava Brand" lamps - the only problem being their website said they only had it in one colour, blue with yellow wax (yuck!).

But I checked anyway, ever hopeful that they'd have more and discovered that they have almost every colour scheme going! I was quite tempted by a blue with white wax one but in the end came away with a lovely black chrome lamp with purple liquid and reddy pink wax! (In actuality the colours are quite different to that photo but even nicer. Very much like the Jonathan Ross titles!) Cost £20 but there were smaller ones for £15 and less plus giant ones for around £30.

It's just sitting bubbling away next to the TV right now!
    So there you go, Debenhams is the place to go for lava lamps! :)
    Either that or the Gadget Shop which has a different design for half the price - £10. Or... Argos for the St Peter's Basilica inspired design at £9.99.
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love them! Mathmos launched the 1st tealight powered lamps last month, the 'Fireflow.'
    :cool:
  • trevalyantrevalyan Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member
    in the 70's, i used to be looked after by the family across the street when my parents worked, and they had a sort of lava lamp, that was a glass cylindrical lamp, filled with a liquid and lots of little "bits" for want of a better description, that when illuminated, made them all float around lit up an orange colour

i have since tried to find out what these type of lamps were, does anybody have an idea what i'm on about?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got one upstairs but it's pretty much useless now that the liquid has gone down and a bit of the wax is stuck at the tip of it. :(

I'm almost tempted to buy another one now. :D
  • cazkinscazkins Posts: 5,136
    Forum Member
    Murk wrote: »
    Anyone know if there is a yellow and green one available?

Missed this thread first time round! I have a yellow and green one but I bought it at a car boot sale so I can't help you much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What type of lamp is it? It's not that hard to repair things like that. Go for Mathmos if you decide to replace it. The US made lamps were good around 10 years ago. They're awful now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That_Guy wrote: »
    What type of lamp is it? It's not that hard to repair things like that. Go for Mathmos if you decide to replace it. The US made lamps were good around 10 years ago. They're awful now.

It's a bit like this one. Where could I get it repaired? Just had a look at some Mathmos lamps and I'll probably end up getting one of them if I decide to replace it. :)
  • †¤AzumiMiyako¤††¤AzumiMiyako¤† Posts: 3,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have one! Bought it off eBay last year for about £20! It has purple liquid and red wax but the bulb blew a few months after I got it :( On the look out for a new bulb now.

EDIT:

Nevermind, my dad took one out of the unit in the front room :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have one! Bought it off eBay last year for about £20! It has purple liquid and red wax but the bulb blew a few months after I got it :( On the look out for a new bulb now.

EDIT:

Nevermind, my dad took one out of the unit in the front room :p

Make sure it's not higher than 40 watts or you'll overheat the lamp.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Double post, sorry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think of lava lamps and I think of the word 'gloop'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,550
    Forum Member
    I'm just considering starting a "plasma ball" rival thread. CLEARLY plasma balls own lava lamps. ;)
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I LOVE lava lamps! I have two, and sit in the evening with just them on. I LOVE it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,550
    Forum Member

You might have something there. Email the Express, they'll run a "Overpaid EU bureaucrats kill lava lamp" story on their front page. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might have something there. Email the Express, they'll run a "Overpaid EU bureaucrats kill lava lamp" story on their front page. ;)

I am officially outraged. :mad:
  • CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    Just turned my one on...a very swanky Mathmos!:)
  • Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    This thread is making me chuckle....and really want a lava lamp. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to have one but now I have a glitter lamp:

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt287/Rossall/Image001.jpg :)