HDR1000S - All recordings gone

zetorzetor Posts: 340
Forum Member
I just came back off holiday and turned on my HDR1000S and all my recordings have gone, the HDD shows only 1% full where there was about 25% of tv shows on it, I have tried swtiching it off and on again and pulling the power and it still shows no recordings, it does show some planned ones. I have had this Freesat box from when it first came out and never had any problems bar the odd missed timer recordings, has anyone had this problem before and know of any way of getting my tv sjows back? Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Current advice - though I don't know why it's supposed to work.

Power off for at least 15 minutes. Disconnect the lnb cables. Boot with the cables disconnected.

Power off and replace cables and re-boot after box has booted for a short period to reset the clock.

I haven't needed to try this, so please post if it actually works :)
  • zetorzetor Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    I just tried that, the box was powered off for more then an hour and it has made no difference, maybe if I leave it switched on all night the house keeping may put it right?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zetor wrote: »
    I just tried that, the box was powered off for more then an hour and it has made no difference, maybe if I leave it switched on all night the house keeping may put it right?

It's not looking good.

Before you ask no one seems to know what this is supposed to do, but worth a try.

Settings - System Settings - Storage - Start disk clean up.

Failing that the only other thing you can do is a full disk format which of course will lose your recordings for ever.
    Forum Member
    Well I'll leave it on tonight and do a disc clean up tomorrow, will keep you posted.
  • REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'll leave it on tonight and do a disc clean up tomorrow, will keep you posted.

It does not offer it if it cannot see a disk or a format.
    On boot tomorrow can you enter storage and tell us what it says.
    Forum Member
    I can now report that all my recordings were back this morning as if by magic, I left it on all night not really expecting much but it seems a little patience paid off, maybe it didn't like not being used for 3 weeks, it had recorded 4 scheduled programmes as well.
    Forum Member
    Well just went to watch something just now and all the recording have disappeared again, it tells me "less then 1% space used" in System settings> Storage it says:
    "Connect a USB (HDD) to the box to record programmes and pause live tv" and " You can also attache a USB storage device to view your own media such as, video. photos, music"
    Could this be a HDD failure?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is rare for a HD controller to fail., regretfully others that have had the same problem and have replaced the disk have rub into the same message again. It looks more like the mother board controller or just possibly a firmware problem.

If not in warranty connect the disk to a PC via a sata caddy. The PC disk manager tool should be able to see the partition tables on the disk, if it does the disk controller works.
    We would be interested in the result if you can be bothered

The two facts you posted < 1% used and the connect message seem to contradict each other
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Might be just a loose or corroded data connection cable from the main board to the drive. If not in warranty simply pulling out the data cable and reconnecting again has been known to effect a cure.
    Forum Member
    Once again when I turned it on this morning all the recorded programmes were back, so I took the HDD out and put it in a caddy connected to me pc and took 2 screen shots together with a photo of the box with the lid off, all looked ok to be but any comments would be most welcome, what would be the best method to upload the files?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once again when I turned it on this morning all the recorded programmes were back, so I took the HDD out and put it in a caddy connected to me pc and took 2 screen shots together with a photo of the box with the lid off, all looked ok to be but any comments would be most welcome, what would be the best method to upload the files?

You can't upload the recording files because the recording partition is encrypted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Unified_Key_Setup

Just disconnection and reconnecting may have fixed the problem.
    Forum Member
    When I meant files I was refering to the .jpg screen shots I took :) they are 500kb each but I could reduce them if need be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I meant files I was refering to the .jpg screen shots I took :) they are 500kb each but I could reduce them if need be.
    Glad your recordings are back.
    One think that worked for me was avoid looking at recordings until a few minutes after boot. I have the unproved theory that boot uses multiple tasks to fire off processes such as building the recordings lists, checking for firmware updates, checking for network connectivity and checking for channels updates.

The image upload - I usually put them on a Onedrive/Google Drive public folder. Not sure It will tell us much as the drive is working, I expect it just shows several partitions of an unknown type.
    Forum Member
    Well the screen shot just shows 3 partions, 1 GB, 920.50 GB, 10 GB, all say Healthy (Primary Partion) I have never had an instance like this before it has always shown all the recordings straight after boot up so I'll see how it goes .
    Forum Member
    Well maybe a last update, the problem is still there, sometimes the recorded programmes are there and sometimes it is empty, not really much more I can do so not reliable enough to record anymore.
  • Anti PlaylistAnti Playlist Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    Hi, Yes my Humax 1Tb unit is going through this "no recordings" stage. I have tried unplugging etc but sill no joy. Mine is still under warranty so maybe a solution for me here.
    I know there is only around 10 - 15% of space used up, but my unit says no.
    Forum Member
    I have had to stop using mine now for recording, it is out of warranty
    Forum Member
    Mine has lost the rewind and pause live TV operation. Planned recordings have not taken place. I am also not able to manually record anything using the record button. Seems as if it has seen better days.
    I have contacted Humax (e mail) re the issue. Perhaps I may hear something over the next few days. If so if anything of use comes up I will post it here.
    Forum Member
    The only other idea I had was to try another hard drive and see if the problem is still there, I will give an update when I have tried that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine has lost the rewind and pause live TV operation. Planned recordings have not taken place. I am also not able to manually record anything using the record button. Seems as if it has seen better days.
    I have contacted Humax (e mail) re the issue. Perhaps I may hear something over the next few days. If so if anything of use comes up I will post it here.

What do you see under Settings - within Storage?
    What happened when you pressed record - did you get a message?
    Forum Member
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    What do you see under Settings - within Storage?
    What happened when you pressed record - did you get a message?

When I pressed the record button, nothing happened, there was no message at all. In settings when I checked for info on the record side yet again, nothing. It was if the unit had forgotten it could record.

I was not able to access any "Record" info or tag. I was prompted to add an external HDD, it was if the record software and hardware were not there at all. Last night I left the unit on standby and this morning switched it on and the recordings and record functions inc pause, rewind etc were all working fine. It is a strange one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I pressed the record button, nothing happened, there was no message at all. In settings when I checked for info on the record side yet again, nothing. It was if the unit had forgotten it could record.

I was not able to access any "Record" info or tag. I was prompted to add an external HDD, it was if the record software and hardware were not there at all. Last night I left the unit on standby and this morning switched it on and the recordings and record functions inc pause, rewind etc were all working fine. It is a strange one.

The "I was prompted to add an external HDD" is significant and indicates the hard disk was not detected at startup. You did not mention exactly what you were doing when you got this message.

Had you just booted the unit or entered, for example, recordings just after boot?
    Forum Member
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    The "I was prompted to add an external HDD" is significant and indicates the hard disk was not detected at startup. You did not mention exactly what you were doing when you got this message.

Had you just booted the unit or entered, for example, recordings just after boot?

Hi, Re the "add external HDD"...this appeared as I went through the menu to the Storage in the settings. This is when the prompt appeared. I had not booted the unit simply looking through the menu to see if there were any thing indication the then problem.

I have still not heard from Humax so I will call them tomorrow
    Forum Member
    One thing that has happened is that as stated we have all our recording back, some were partially viewed. When I checked the recording list all partial views were shown so resuming the programme was possible.
    So even though the HDD was not shown during the problem, the start position of the programmes remained as if there had been no issue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing that has happened is that as stated we have all our recording back, some were partially viewed. When I checked the recording list all partial views were shown so resuming the programme was possible.
    So even though the HDD was not shown during the problem, the start position of the programmes remained as if there had been no issue.

The position of each recording and other data is recorded on separate files on disk. These are not normally seen, but if you play a imported file on USB you will see they are created on the USB stick.

I think calling Humax support will not achieve anything as all is currently well. All you will do is invite a suggestion to factory reset and possibly also to reformat the hard disk.