Where are the big releases this quarter?

Arran_DempsterArran_Dempster Posts: 3,052
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Aside from Cheryl, One Direction, Taylor Swift, Calvin Harris, Take That and Olly Murs thered don't seem to be any contenders for big sellers. Where's Rihanna, Katy Perry, Beyoncé, Lady Gaga, Kanye West, Adele and the big sellers? I know some are still promoting last album campaigns but there seems to be a lack of big name releases this year! Especially single wise "All About That Bass" could just be number one for the rest of the year by the looks of the release schedule.

It really seems there's a lack of big name releases apart from those mentioned (which will sell well but they always do), but there just seems a lack of hype and competition for number ones.

Your thoughts of why/any other comments?

Comments

• RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping Rihanna has an album out by the end of year
  • Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have thought Rihanna at least would have had an album out this year, she hasn't had new music out in ages (especially by her standards). But it's approaching the end of October, so isn't it a little late now? She would have at least premiered the lead single by now I would have thought!
  • Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robertfitz wrote: »
    I'm hoping Rihanna has an album out by the end of year

I was hoping so too but I think its getting pretty late into the year now and there wouldve been some info on it by now. However Rihanna is huge so she could release a single or album right now with no promo and it would sell bucketloads
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rihanna's next album is meant to be a concept soundtrack album to tie into the animated movie she has done the voice for. It's called Home and is due out in March, so i assume the album will follow around March as well.

While i have missed my yearly album from her, i am glad she has taken time out to pretty much chill out and make an album at her own pace.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dunno but it's a joke that Tove Lo's album still hasn't been released.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Dunno but it's a joke that Tove Lo's album still hasn't been released.

Her album came out ages ago.
  • Arran_DempsterArran_Dempster Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    Her album came out ages ago.

Not in the UK.
  • siriusrosesiriusrose Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any news on Adele?

It looks like 2015 could be jam packed, which will be good, but 2014 really needs some big names. At least smaller artists may benefit from the lack of competition and may shine a bit more. There tends to be surprises though, we may be in for a treat and either an unexpected massive album or a big name release as of yet.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I swear an identical thread to this was made last week lol.
    But anyways, all the big releases are coming out next year, 2015 is going to be huge, Rihanna, Adele, Madonna and Britney to name just a few are supposedly releasing new albums next year.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Katy only released Prism a year ago so unless she re-releases unlikely.
  • SweetHeartHollySweetHeartHolly Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well in country music all sorts of acts are getting new music out this year: Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw, Miranda Lambert, Blake Shelton, Florida Georgia Line, Lady Antebellum, Garth Brooks, Trisha Yearwood, Brad Paisley, Jason Aldean, Little Big Town, Hal Ketchum released his first new album in six years, Toby Keith just released a new song, LeAnn Rimes is releasing a Christmas EP at the end of the month, I believe that new music from Alan Jackson and Reba McEntire is on the way, and then of course my most favorite singer James is releasing a new song named Somewhere Tonight" tomorrow! :):):)

God bless you and him and all of these other awesome singers in country music always!!! :):):)

Holly (a day one fan of Hal and LeAnn)
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The biggest band on the planet just released an album, even though millions already have a download of it.
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slipknot and Foo Fighters both have albums released soon
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    Slipknot and Foo Fighters both have albums released soon

But their singles won't have campaigns like Katy Perry, Rihanna, P!nk or Nicki Minaj (who I forgot about). They won't have a string of successful singles.
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But their singles won't have campaigns like Katy Perry, Rihanna, P!nk or Nicki Minaj (who I forgot about). They won't have a string of successful singles.

The thread title doesn't mention singles, so not sure why you think that means they wont be big releases?
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AC/DC have a new album out soon.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    siriusrose wrote: »
    Is there any news on Adele?

It looks like 2015 could be jam packed, which will be good, but 2014 really needs some big names. At least smaller artists may benefit from the lack of competition and may shine a bit more. There tends to be surprises though, we may be in for a treat and either an unexpected massive album or a big name release as of yet.

XL recordings accounts, filed at Companies House at the start of October, said there will be no Adele album in 2014.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So? What difference does that make? You mean because it's NOT pop music? :D

I think Madonna's new album will be out in time for Xmas as she's supposedly going to be performing on The X-Factor final show.

I think Nicki Minaj and Kanye West may be dropping new albums before the year is out.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    The biggest band on the planet just released an album, even though millions already have a download of it.

That's gonna mean reduced hard copy sales. Songs of Innocence came into the album chart today at no 6 though. The songs as played on Graham Norton sounded much better than the album.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's a bit snobbish

So if they don't have successful string of hit singles, let's just forget they exist and that people are likely looking forward to them. Ridiculous

Foo fighters and Slipknot sell albums by name alone and are in a different genres to the likes of Perry, Minaj and the others.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm amazed Rihanna hasn't released an album for two years
  • hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Eminem's Shady XV 2 Disc CD in November will be sure to shift some copies.
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    Everyman and his dog has something out for the Xmas rush, but whilst it is the biggest sales period of the year, releasing this time of year doesn't always work for artists as they get ignored in the mad rush.

the likes of Take That will of course shift big numbers, but for the lesser known acts its a risky time of year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a bit snobbish

So if they don't have successful string of hit singles, let's just forget they exist and that people are likely looking forward to them. Ridiculous

Foo fighters and Slipknot sell albums by name alone and are in a different genres to the likes of Perry, Minaj and the others.

I did mention singles in the OP also though as well. Often pop stars are looked upon to apply singles post album debut. Slipknot and Foo Fighters will sell lots, but will they only be brought by avid fans or casual listeners?
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did mention singles in the OP also though as well. Often pop stars are looked upon to apply singles post album debut. Slipknot and Foo Fighters will sell lots, but will they only be brought by avid fans or casual listeners?

Of course Slipknt and Foo Fighters will be bought by casual listeners. They just won't hear them via the singles charts but via recomendations and on-line streaming, plus the fact that they will appear high in the album charts.

Do you think that rock bands keep the same fans throughout their carear without adding any of time?