homophobia. what is it?

roger_purvisroger_purvis Posts: 968
Forum Member
✭✭
Perhaps this should be answered before the other thread draws any conclusions?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh Roger. Why do you need to start so very many gay-related threads?

Homophobia is a word used to describe the position of being hostile towards people for being gay. (It may of course wear the fig leaf of, "I don't mind gay people as long as they are quiet about it". But that fools no one.) But you knew that.

The real question is, why does it seem to occupy so much of your thoughts?
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "phobia
    ˈfəʊbɪə/Submit
    noun
    an extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something"
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's in the dictionary, look it up.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    It's like arachnophobia only instead of spiders it's homosexuals.
  • roger_purvisroger_purvis Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So when bantering with my gay friends and I jib him about being gay- and he retorts with something equally 'naughty' to me is that homophobic? I think not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    It's in the dictionary, look it up.

If only it were that simple. On here the overly sensitive seem to have stretched the definition beyond that concept.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh Roger. Why do you need to start so very many gay-related threads?

Homophobia is a word used to describe the position of being hostile towards people for being gay. (It may of course wear the fig leaf of, "I don't mind gay people as long as they are quiet about it". But that fools no one.) But you knew that.

The real question is, why does it seem to occupy so much of your thoughts?

Because I can. Lol. You are not obliged to reply. Lol.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So when bantering with my gay friends and I jib him about being gay- and he retorts with something equally 'naughty' to me is that homophobic? I think not.
    Does your 'banter' stem from you being nervous around or even afraid of them precisely because they're gay? If not, then it's probably not, but obviously I don't know you or your friends or the type of banter you engage in.
  • grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If it's banter you're all comfortable with and they don't see your jibes as being expressions of anything more unpleasant aimed at them, then no. If you try the same banter with someone you don't know, or with someone you know would have a problem with it, that would be a sign of poor judgement on your part.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Perhaps you should talk with a counsellor to explore your sexuality before you create another gay-related thread?
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    You seem to have lots of questions about 'what it is to be gay' or what gay people find offensive etc. It's like an obsession or a morbid fascination in all things gay.

Why not ask your many gay friends? You'd probably appreciate their answers more than you do the replies on here.
  • Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm absolutely terrified of homosexuals.

Some facts you may need to consider here. 5 Most 'worrying' ones.

1. They can speak, read and write the same language as those not homosexual.

2. They can be proportionally as decent, odd, annoying or complete dicks as the rest of us.

3. They also require the same amenities the rest of us do to survive.

4. Their 'disease' is actually only in the minds of those who really don't have the capacity to understand anything beyond that which they see in a mirror.

5. They live amongst us..invariably doing pretty much all the same things you and I do. They sleep, use toilets, eat food, work, don't work - and come in a variety of ages, colours, shapes, sizes and backgrounds.

These homosexuals are truely a threat indeed to us all. We need bomb shelters to protect us surely..? And why haven't the air raid sirens activated already ? Is this the end as they wipe us all out for no apparent reason ?

I'm sure a few religious zealots will emerge to 'assure us' all, that in fact it's much worse than this....*yawn.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Perhaps you should talk with a counsellor to explore your sexuality before you create another gay-related thread?

Lol. No need thanks. We dont all need to see councellors.

Usual strategy. Accuse op of being gay in a poor attempt to insult when difficult questions are asked.
  • Seth1Seth1 Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Usual strategy. Accuse op of being gay in a poor attempt to insult when difficult questions are asked.

Tats an attempt to tie up loose ends if ever there was one:blush:
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    people who are scared of their home.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps you could take a leaf out of your gay friends' book? You know, the gay friends who famously don't feel the need to go on about gayness the whole time.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Perhaps you could take a leaf out of your gay friends' book? You know, the gay friends who famously don't feel the need to go on about gayness the whole time.

Exquisite.

:D
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Counselling is a big step.

How about an appropriate forum instead Roger?

Look what I found

http://able2know.org/forum/homosexuality/

A veritable feast?.:D

PS Please don't see it as a list of thread titles to copy!:o
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Homophobia people who are frightened of gay people because they think they will suddenly become gay or be seen by others as potentially becoming gay and therefore not look as "manly" as they think they are.

Homophobics also see gay people as being beneath them and a lesser human and doing something fundermentally unnatural to them which makes their stomachs turn.

Homophobics can also tend to be gay people who can't admit what they are so use this as a way to push attention away from themselves.

There is a LGBT thread in chatter Roger you could ask there.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »

If only!:D
  • jackpotjackpotjackpotjackpot Posts: 235
    Forum Member

Why don't you use a dictionary or better still just Google it?

Very odd you've developed a new thread when getting the precise answer takes seconds.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think open gay displays of affection are still quite new.

we need public gay kissing to get everyone used to it.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Homophobia people who are frightened of gay people because they think they will suddenly become gay or be seen by others as potentially becoming gay and therefore not look as "manly" as they think they are.

Homophobics also see gay people as being beneath them and a lesser human and doing something fundermentally unnatural to them which makes their stomachs turn.

Homophobics can also tend to be gay people who can't admit what they are so use this as a way to push attention away from themselves.

There is a LGBT thread in chatter Roger you could ask there.

Its ok thank you. I have posed the question here where I wished to.

I think the obvious attempts to dodge the question speak loud enough. All I needed to know thanks.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its ok thank you. I have posed the question here where I wished to.

I think the obvious attempts to dodge the question speak loud enough. All I needed to know thanks.

I haven't dodged the question I have given you an honest answer about what homophobia is
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    The dictionary explains what homophobia is.

unreasoning fear of or antipathy toward homosexuals and homosexuality.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/homophobia

irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/homophobia

Dislike of or prejudice against homosexual people.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/homophobia

Here is an interesting article about the etymology of the word

http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2013/02/homophobia.html

So 'phobia' also means 'aversion to', not just 'fear of'.

What is missed in these discussions, which concentrate on the 'fear' meaning of 'phobia' is the real clue to homophobia in these definitions... 'irrational'. That is what really defines homophobia for me... that it has no basis in rational behaviour.