Track pad scroll not working

dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi All

I hope someone can help me, I have a 5 month old Asus laptop on windows 10, today I ran an Avira check and deleted the items in the quarantine folder. I found after doing this my trackpad scroll function won't work, every thing else does though. I have uninstalled the mouse and trackpad and restarted the laptop, the mouse, pointer and click function work fine and a usb mouse works with the scroll function.
Can anyone offer any further things I can try.
Thanks Dave
just checked and the pinch function doesn't work either.

Comments

• killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,907
    Forum Member
    I have had this, the only solution was to reinstall windows.
  • dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope there's another way as I don't want to go through the fuss of reinstalling window 10, was bad enough the first time.
    Dave
  • CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had this recently with an Acer laptop. I managed to cure it by deleting the touchpad driver from within Device Manager, then rebooting the laptop whereupon windows reinstalled it. It took a couple of attempts but it worked.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had this a few months ago on my over 6 year old Compaq laptop that I will soon hopefully be replacing with a new laptop and keeping old laptop as a back up as it still works 97%/98% fine. I upgraded the over 6 year old Compaq laptop to Windows 10 back in October/November.
    Only thing about reinstalling Windows 10 is that it will take off some of the software that was per installed on the laptop when you got it.
    I would try a system restore first if you got Windows 10 set up for system restore. For system restore is not always set to on in Windows 10 by default for some reason.

Darren
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, thanks for the replies, I tried uninstalling the driver etc, no good and no the laptop isn't set up for system restore just the windows version where every thing not on the website shop has to be reinstalled. I'll try Asus on Tuesday and see what they say.
    Dave
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for saying about the restore point Ney, have just configured it. better late than never.
    Dave
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Have you tried going to the Asus Web site support page for your laptop and downloaded a piece of software called Asus Smart Gesture (if not alredy installed) as this controls the scroll on the laptop among othe features.

On my Asus laptop the Web page scrolling is done using two fingers not one and it took me a while to get used to this when I changed recently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi GDS, I looked on the Asus website but couldn't see any downloads, I'll have another look, and yes my scroll was done with two fingers.
    Dave

I did have the program, so I deleted and redownloaded, no luck.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Try running the program and check your settings just in case the scroll option has been turned off somehow.

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1009613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've tried running the program, the only trouble is I'm missing the mouse picture from my taskbar, been scratching my head over this one, will ring Asus tomorrow.
    Dave