Options

stick-on iPhone signal boosters

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
i've literally just stumbled upon these this morning - here's a random example from ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2x-SIGNAL-BOOSTER-iphone-blackberry-android-all-mobiles-/280622697343?pt=UK_Mobiles_Accessories_RL&hash=item41566a8b7f

The general consensus is that it's a complete punt as to whether or not it works - i've seem one youtube video where the guy installs one and it does give him 3 extra bars.

for 99p, i'm willing to give it a go but i was just wondering if anyone had ever tried one ?

if it doesn't work, it doesn't work and i've only lost 99p i guess but if they make your phone blow up then obviously i don't want one ! :)

Comments

• Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    No idea if these are effective or not, can't see it though, however this bit at the end concerns me
    Recorded postage is offered. therefore no loss during post rests with seller

The sale of goods act would disagree with this position
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there's a few people selling them at that price - that one was just a random example.

and the buyers do seem reasonably varied and spaced out as well (not literally ! :)), so it doesn't come across as him bidding on his own stuff or anything like that.

anyway, i've just bought one so we'll see what happens. as i say, worth a punt for 99p - i do live in a notoriously poor 3G reception area so any improvement, even by the odd bar, would be more than welcome.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have been around for years, used to be 49p.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    Was it just the first batch of iphone 4s that had the signal problem?

I've had no problem with signal since I got my iPhone a couple of weeks back. Nearly always full and never had no signal at all.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    They have been around for years, used to be 49p.

And they've never worked either.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confusing wrote: »

I've had no problem with signal since I got my iPhone a couple of weeks back. Nearly always full and never had no signal at all.

Possibly; there was talk of some coating on the antenna that wasn't reliable or completed correctly?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it was either one of these or £1 on a scratch card :)

I'd say the chances of me winning on one of those and boosting my iPhone signal are probably about equal :D
  • Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    Confusing wrote: »

You tried death gripping it? That's the only way I can reproduce the issue on my day one iPhone 4
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    davethorp wrote: »
    You tried death gripping it? That's the only way I can reproduce the issue on my day one iPhone 4
    Ah yeah, that does do it. I've been using the bumper.

Goes down to 2 bars when I death grip.