Friends or Seinfeld ?

Comments

• djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    Closer than I expected the poll to be. In my opinion, Seinfeld is so much better than Friends that it's hardly a contest, but the latter has much more exposure and thus popularity in the UK so I would expect it to lead a poll like this. Seinfeld could have been way bigger here if it was actually shown at a decent time etc., though I kinda like having it as a show that I love but not many people that I know have heard of or watch :D (though that seems absurd seeing how massive it was in the US.

The more I watch Seinfeld the more I realise this. The Seinfeld backwards episode The Betrayal is a masterpiece

You can relate to the Seinfeld characters, George is especially realistic
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    I HATE Friends with a passion, not that bothered by Seinfeld either but anything is better than Friends !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    https://www.quora.com/Which-is-the-better-TV-show-Seinfeld-or-Friends

An interesting read and is overwhelmingly in favour of Seinfeld
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Seinfeld all the way for me. Far superior to friends. Friends had a hook, you wanted to know what happened to Ross/Rachael and Monica/Chandler, so you tuned in each week for it.

With Seinfeld there was no hook, it was a show about nothing. You can watch each episode in isolation. The script was great, the characters was great, some of the acting wasnt brilliant...however it was a great show.

For those who prefer Seinfeld, which is better Curb or Seinfeld? Curb for me.
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was going to make this poll so that's why I'm bumping (Also both series are now on Netflix)

Friends was everywhere when I was growing up so it was kind of hammered into consciousness. Whereas I don't think Seinfeld did as well over here so was dropped by a few channels. Even though it takes a few seasons to get into Seinfeld tops it for me. There's no schmaltz and there's barely a bad episode. And it went insanely good seasons 4-7. Much better than Friends ever was. Plus love all the 90's stars that pop up in it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    Was going to make this poll so that's why I'm bumping (Also both series are now on Netflix)

Friends was everywhere when I was growing up so it was kind of hammered into consciousness. Whereas I don't think Seinfeld did as well over here so was dropped by a few channels. Even though it takes a few seasons to get into Seinfeld tops it for me. There's no schmaltz and there's barely a bad episode. And it went insanely good seasons 4-7. Much better than Friends ever was. Plus love all the 90's stars that pop up in it.

As the creator of this thread, I’m very pleased to have it bumped up
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seinfeld is funnier imo, but I’ve seen Friends way more and I’m more likely to sit down and chill out watching it. I’ve seen each episode over and over, but I can still enjoy it.
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 18,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »

Even though it's 10 years old?
  • seosamhseosamh Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frasier
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Macca wrote: »

Yes, it’s an interesting discussion topic in my opinion
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 18,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I thought bumping old threads is against forum rules though.
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I did explain why. They're both now on Netflix.

Which do you prefer Macca?
  • Ted MurrayTed Murray Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    There will be no soup for anyone deciding that Friends is better than Seinfeld.

All that I recall after watching Friends is the same canned laughter over and over again until I could take no more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friends was filmed in front of a live audience.
  • MesurierMesurier Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    I think Elaine is more likeable than both Rachel and Monica

Elaine is an absolute monster!

for whom I would crawl along broken glass for the chance to merely sniff her shoe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mesurier wrote: »
    I think Elaine is more likeable than both Rachel and Monica

Elaine is an absolute monster!

for whom I would crawl along broken glass for the chance to merely sniff her shoe.

The best thing out Elaine is that she obviously thinks she’s better than George, Jerry and Kramer but she’s just as bad as them.
  • Samantha_IsaacsSamantha_Isaacs Posts: 195,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 09/03/22 - 21:19 #68
    Friends
  • chrisqcchrisqc Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easy win for Seinfeld Friends was allright but i gave it up after 4-5 seasons
  • karl_kennedykarl_kennedy Posts: 2,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really a contest ...Friends was enjoyable froth....Seinfeld was on another level entirely.....probably the greatest American TV comedy of all time

• The Unknown OneThe Unknown One Posts: 21,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ted Murray wrote: »
    There will be no soup for anyone deciding that Friends is better than Seinfeld.

All that I recall after watching Friends is the same canned laughter over and over again until I could take no more.
    Whedonite wrote: »
    Friends was filmed in front of a live audience.

Correct.

Friends prided itself on using genuine audience reactions. The only time they ever used canned laughter was if the audience laughter went on for too long, and it interrupted the flow of a scene, with the actors having to wait before delivering their next line. In that case, in the edit, a shorter piece of laughter would be edited in, so when broadcast, the scene would flow realistically. Otherwise it was genuine laughter all the way.
  • Vanguard22Vanguard22 Posts: 2,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 08/04/22 - 08:15 #72
    On team Seinfeld, truly awful (as people) all four main characters were. I actually quite liked Susan, George's comparatively normal ill-fated fiancee, though apparently the rest of the cast didn't.

My daughters (then aged 13-14) had no knowledge of Seinfeld, but lapped up Friends to the extent of committing to memory and regurgitating at all sorts of odd time, huge chunks of dialogue, to never ending of rolling of eyes from me. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

If they had done the same with Seinfeld, I might have been more worried.
  • Carl JohnsonCarl Johnson Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why on earth is this a rule, makes zero sense to me Its not like someone has to go down into the basement to dust off the old thread!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vanguard22 wrote: »
    On team Seinfeld, truly awful (as people) all four main characters were. I actually quite liked Susan, George's comparatively normal ill-fated fiancee, though apparently the rest of the cast didn't.

My daughters (then aged 13-14) had no knowledge of Seinfeld, but lapped up Friends to the extent of committing to memory and regurgitating at all sorts of odd time, huge chunks of dialogue, to never ending of rolling of eyes from me. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Tbh, I liked all of the main characters, even though they were pretty awful people. George was just so pathetic, it was hilarious. Jerry was so apathetic towards others, it was amusing to watch. Kramer was just Kramer and probably the nicest of the gang, to be fair to him. Elaine thought she was so much better than the others, but she was probably the worst, because at least George and Jerry knew what they were 😂
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whedonite wrote: »
    Vanguard22 wrote: »

Tbh, I liked all of the main characters, even though they were pretty awful people. George was just so pathetic, it was hilarious. Jerry was so apathetic towards others, it was amusing to watch. Kramer was just Kramer and probably the nicest of the gang, to be fair to him. Elaine thought she was so much better than the others, but she was probably the worst, because at least George and Jerry knew what they were 😂

Think that sums it up very well, Kramer was quite a nice guy just got caught up in all his antics and it didn’t always seem that way
  • Ron_NastyRon_Nasty Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    Both brilliant shows for their target audiences.