Options

The Strictly Depreciation Thread

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Lou_Black wrote: »
    I think the tour results made it pretty clear that Jay and Aliona were way ahead in the popularity stakes so even if people were multi-voting it wouldn't have made a great deal of difference. Weren't Jay and Anita the only ones to win the tour shows?

Yes Jay was overall tour winner and I think I'm right in saying that he and Anita swapped places coming either first or runner up for all the shows bar Frankie and Kevin maybe taking one second place? Someone may well correct me on that! The tour thread on here was great for finding out the results each night.
  • Options
    HuphHuph Posts: 5,429
    Forum Member
    aggs wrote: »
    In general, but specifically last series, them taking the shine off the final with techiness and grumpiness.

The final should be a celebration of the show as whole, not an opportunity for them to snark at the viewers and tell them how wrong they are. No one makes the final without being good or popular or both. They've had their pick about who advances with the dance off. If they've any issues about that perhaps they should have a word with themselves not take it out on us and spoil the whole feel of the show.
    Totally agree, the final last year was spoiled for me by the judges.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In general, but specifically last series, them taking the shine off the final with techiness and grumpiness.

The final should be a celebration of the show as whole, not an opportunity for them to snark at the viewers and tell them how wrong they are. No one makes the final without being good or popular or both. They've had their pick about who advances with the dance off. If they've any issues about that perhaps they should have a word with themselves not take it out on us and spoil the whole feel of the show.

BIB I don't think they should get to pick, I'd ditch the dance off in the semi and have the finalists chosen by public vote only.

Completely agree with you about the feel of the final last series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ochre wrote: »
    Yes Jay was overall tour winner and I think I'm right in saying that he and Anita swapped places coming either first or runner up for all the shows bar Frankie and Kevin maybe taking one second place? Someone may well correct me on that! The tour thread on here was great for finding out the results each night.
    Yes only Jay and Anita won any of the shows. Kevin and Frankie came second when Anita replaced Mel as host.

I saw the show in Glasgow and that night anyway Jay and Aliona were head and shoulders above everyone else (IMO) and Gleb and Anita really put on two showstopping performances.
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB I don't think they should get to pick, I'd ditch the dance off in the semi and have the finalists chosen by public vote only.

I think the dance off should be locked in a cupboard in a derelict house guarded by lions in outer space - but if they insist on unlocking the cupboard every year then it should be ditched when it gets down to 5 couples at the very latest.
  • Options
    JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    10s really early, Jays Jive was not as spectacular as it was made out to be, I think Craig's 8 was spot on but Bruno's 10 was ridiculous, I would also say the same about Katie& Anton's semi final Charleston (im not defending Anton) it was a weak dance but for the semi finals marked correctly IMO with the 7's but Craig's 4 was unacceptable, from him ok a 6 maybe but 4 was out of order& again on the totals it was worth around 27 in the semis but 25 really, don't think so
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yeah and the multiple voting (says a guy who votes for Anton a fair few times) I think it should be done like Dancing with the stars where you are allowed to vote as many times as there are couples dancing for example week 2 15 couples dancing meaning each mobile number can vote upto 15 times, 14 times in week 3 and so forth, I think that shouldn't just be for SCD I think that should be for all the shows like X Factor Im A Celeb Britains got talent etc
  • Options
    Sarah777Sarah777 Posts: 5,060
    Forum Member

Totally agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    10s really early, Jays Jive was not as spectacular as it as made out to be, I think Craig's 8 was spot on but Bruno's 10 was ridiculous, I would also say the same about Katie& Anton's semi final Charleston (im not defending Anton) it was a weak dance but for the semi finals marked correctly IMO with the 7's but Craig's 4 was unacceptable, from him ok a 6 maybe but 4 was out of order& again on the totals it was worth around 27 in the semis but 25 really, don't think so

Think a lot of people would disagree with you there. Also Craig scored him a 9 not an 8!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Huph wrote: »
    Yes only Jay and Anita won any of the shows. Kevin and Frankie came second when Anita replaced Mel as host.

I saw the show in Glasgow and that night anyway Jay and Aliona were head and shoulders above everyone else (IMO) and Gleb and Anita really put on two showstopping performances.

That was it, thanks Huph:)

Must have been a lot of pressure on Jay to keep pulling off the jive, all credit to him, bet it was amazing live.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think the dance off should be locked in a cupboard in a derelict house guarded by lions in outer space - but if they insist on unlocking the cupboard every year then it should be ditched when it gets down to 5 couples at the very latest.

:D:D

An eclectic theming and prop idea there for next series too, maybe the judges introduction.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight' :D

While I'm on a roll :blush:

I'd ditch the silly rule that says the more recent dances are exempt from being re-done in in the final. It's the final - I want to see the best dances not a week one dance juzzed up round the edges. It's still a week one dance, however they try to sell it as otherwise.

I'd also have a 3 couple final, not 4, and have clearly defined second and third placings :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That was it, thanks Huph:)

Must have been a lot of pressure on Jay to keep pulling off the jive, all credit to him, bet it was amazing live.
    It was amazing to see. You could feel the build up in the crowd and then they went mad at the end. As you say a bit of pressure to do it every time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was amazing to see. You could feel the build up in the crowd and then they went mad at the end. As you say a bit of pressure to do it every time.

The wig was a bit ropey, though :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The wig was a bit ropey, though :D

It was awful :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Think a lot of people would disagree with you there. Also Craig scored him a 9 not an 8!

yeah Craig scored it 9, like I say 8 was what I would say was about right but most definatley not 9's and 10's
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yeah Craig scored it 9, like I say 8 was what I would say was about right but most definatley not 9's and 10's

I actually think it deserved more 10's. Would have got more if it was later on in the series. As Darcey said - as it was week 3 she only scored it a 9!!
  • Options
    CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    Another second for the judges and their inconsistency and favouritism.

Judge objectively on what actually happens on the night of the competition - not on past glories or future potential - and apply the same rules to everyone - and stop ignoring faults from their/ production favourites. The attempted manipulation got so blatant last season with the Andre/ Jamelia thing, and they looked like idiots when they tried to explain it away!

And while we're there - I hate the production manipulation we see..... Do some contestants have it written into their contracts that they will get to week whatever? That's the only explanation for some of the wacky marking........ Don't treat the viewers like idiots - they aren't!

Pay the judges less and the pros more. There wouldn't be a show without the pros licking their celebs into shape, and they spend hours on end choreographing and training for the pro dances and the competition proper. Why are they so underpaid compared to the judges who show up for a few hours a week, and sometimes astound us with their ignorance of what they are supposed to be judging. The pros know far far more about ballroom and Latin dancing than 3 of the 4 judges, and the judges need to remember that when they are spouting their usual tripe (yes Craig - I'm looking at you!)
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »
    Another second for the judges and their inconsistency and favouritism.

Judge objectively on what actually happens on the night of the competition - not on past glories or future potential - and apply the same rules to everyone - and stop ignoring faults from their/ production favourites. The attempted manipulation got so blatant last season with the Andre/ Jamelia thing, and they looked like idiots when they tried to explain it away!

And while we're there - I hate the production manipulation we see..... Do some contestants have it written into their contracts that they will get to week whatever? That's the only explanation for some of the wacky marking........ Don't treat the viewers like idiots - they aren't!

Pay the judges less and the pros more. There wouldn't be a show without the pros licking their celebs into shape, and they spend hours on end choreographing and training for the pro dances and the competition proper. Why are they so underpaid compared to the judges who show up for a few hours a week, and sometimes astound us with their ignorance of what they are supposed to be judging. The pros know far far more about ballroom and Latin dancing than 3 of the 4 judges, and the judges need to remember that when they are spouting their usual tripe (yes Craig - I'm looking at you!)

Great post! :D
  • Options
    fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah and the multiple voting (says a guy who votes for Anton a fair few times) I think it should be done like Dancing with the stars where you are allowed to vote as many times as there are couples dancing for example week 2 15 couples dancing meaning each mobile number can vote upto 15 times, 14 times in week 3 and so forth, I think that shouldn't just be for SCD I think that should be for all the shows like X Factor Im A Celeb Britains got talent etc

You do realise they can still power vote in the DWTS system, don't you? So that's 12/13 FREE phone/internet votes for every phone number and email/facebook account the dedicated fans can rustle up - multiplied by the number of times they clear cookies. (And a handful of the pros have very dedicated fans, so it is often not about the celebrity at all).
  • Options
    notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    fridgesoup wrote: »
    You do realise they can still power vote in the DWTS system, don't you? So that's 12/13 FREE phone/internet votes for every phone number and email/facebook account the dedicated fans can rustle up - multiplied by the number of times they clear cookies. (And a handful of the pros have very dedicated fans, so it is often not about the celebrity at all).

At the risk of getting my head bitten off again this is what I was talking about!!
    And yes I still think it all gets rather crazy!! I know there's no way of policing it but the thread asks what you don't like about Strictly & for me this is it really, don't care which group of fans are doing it, including my own fellow GG fans!!
    Quite happy with the cureent fornat of the show otherwise & loved this last series the best of any I've watched!!
    The judges are paid to be critical, not to be nice & I love the current line up so no complaints from me there!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At the risk of getting my head bitten off again this is what I was talking about!!
    And yes I still think it all gets rather crazy!! I know there's no way of policing it but the thread asks what you don't like about Strictly & for me this is it really, don't care which group of fans are doing it, including my own fellow GG fans!!
    Quite happy with the cureent fornat of the show otherwise & loved this last series the best of any I've watched!!
    The judges are paid to be critical, not to be nice & I love the current line up so no complaints from me there!!

I would expect the judges to be critical but also be consistent. Some people last year got away with murder then others were picked up on the same mistakes.

Lifts in dances was a prime example - oh was that an illegal lift I saw there??? several lifts in an american smooth when only three are allowed - that's fine!!!
  • Options
    AnoAno Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10s really early, Jays Jive was not as spectacular as it was made out to be, I think Craig's 8 was spot on but Bruno's 10 was ridiculous, I would also say the same about Katie& Anton's semi final Charleston (im not defending Anton) it was a weak dance but for the semi finals marked correctly IMO with the 7's but Craig's 4 was unacceptable, from him ok a 6 maybe but 4 was out of order& again on the totals it was worth around 27 in the semis but 25 really, don't think so

Sorry why would you have awarded a perfect dance an 8? Sorry this is a genuine question I would like to see your opinion :) so your basically awarding Katie and Anton a 7 just a mark below a perfect routine danced by Jay and Aliona hmm that's strange, Katie's Charleston was not even a Charleston it was below average saying this in the nicest possible way desperately trying not to offend anyone ^_^
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I just think it balances itself out. Every pro and celeb will have their soopafans so I don't think it makes that much of a difference - certainly not as much as when you could vote all week, at any rate. the only time it makes a real difference is on Bonfire Night. In Scotland ...
  • Options
    Sarah777Sarah777 Posts: 5,060
    Forum Member
    [/B]
    I would expect the judges to be critical but also be consistent. Some people last year got away with murder then others were picked up on the same mistakes.

Lifts in dances was a prime example - oh was that an illegal lift I saw there??? several lifts in an american smooth when only three are allowed - that's fine!!!

Craig and Bruno.
This discussion has been closed.