Which tablet for my 4 year old?

Comments

• jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    myscimitar wrote: »
    But that is the point, for some parents they do replace real toys if the parents have to join in playing with their kids, they just can't be bothered, just like TV has done in the past, and still does.

The OP didn't ask for a sermon, they asked opinions on WHICH tablet to get their 4 year old. You would think a forum on tablets would be a good place to ask, but no, not here.

OP, I would go with a hudl. My four year old nephew plays on his dads iPad and he loves it, but for what he does on it, a hudl would be fine for him.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But that is the point, for some parents they do replace real toys if the parents have to join in playing with their kids, they just can't be bothered, just like TV has done in the past, and still does.

No, that isn't the point at all. Bad parents will be bad parents regardless of technology or whatever they have available.

I'm more irritated by people who seem to think that Christmas is all about spending loads of money on their kids ... when all that kids want to do is lark around and have a bit of fun.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulj48 wrote: »
    My 7 year old has been using Apple devices in his school during lessons since he was in reception class, they are used as an educational tool and also as a reward so I pressume they are safe.

I'm sure his school is not the only one who uses them.

I know i am a curmudgeonly old fart, but the idea of a tablet computer being an educational tool for 7 year olds is to me an indication of a poor and inadequate educational system.

Defintely no tablet for a 4 year old.
  • Keith_13Keith_13 Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've owned an iPad since the first one, I'm a currently using the 4 and my 3 & 1 year old share the original.

They use it for a few apps and to watch videos on YouTube with their favorite nursery rhymes or the 3 year old watches Play Doh modelling.

Sadly, despite both of them being able to unlock the iPad, select and use an App. The 3 year old was marked down at nursery as she can't use a mouse!

Does it make me a bad parent? I doubt it, they both enjoy varied lives however, they both enjoy watching very different videos on the tablet.

OP - I didn't get on with Amazon tablet, the HUDL looks like a good tablet
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you find one OP?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are tablets retailing that are specifically aimed at children that look far more robust than the high end spec tablets aimed at the adult market but with regards to the OP's original question...the Kindle fire is very good and there are child friendly settings on there for parents

Trusted reviews website has some good recommendations
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Josephinus wrote: »
    Can't decide between a Hudl 2 or a Kindle Fire! Has anyone also looked at either of these or already have them?

Any response is gratefully received!

Duplicate post
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know i am a curmudgeonly old fart, but the idea of a tablet computer being an educational tool for 7 year olds is to me an indication of a poor and inadequate educational system.

Well said
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I often find in discussions like this that people fall into three categories of thought.

1. Those that begrudge technology they themselves would like but can't afford being passed to young children who, in their mind, wouldn't appreciate it like they would.

2. Those that remain stuck in the past, with this rose tinted view of wooden tops, train sets and pogo sticks being the only toys that children should be playing with, and that giving technology to kids is neglecting them as a parent.

3. Those that recognise that times have moved on, that even young kids are tech savvy, that tablets can be both fun and educational, and that the moaners would have wanted to use and play with them themselves had they been around when they were kids.

Mine have had endless use out of their ipads. Most recent example being that my two made a cardboard mini skate-park for their Tech Deck toys the other day that they found as a tutorial from some kids who had posted on YouTube on how to make their own.
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I suppose you have no background in eduction to make the assumption that tablets in primary school's is wrong?

Neither have I but as somebody who send their child to a state school I have to trust the experts and elected officials of this country to make that decision for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keith_13 wrote: »
    I've owned an iPad since the first one, I'm a currently using the 4 and my 3 & 1 year old share the original.

They use it for a few apps and to watch videos on YouTube with their favorite nursery rhymes or the 3 year old watches Play Doh modelling.

Sadly, despite both of them being able to unlock the iPad, select and use an App. The 3 year old was marked down at nursery as she can't use a mouse!

Does it make me a bad parent? I doubt it, they both enjoy varied lives however, they both enjoy watching very different videos on the tablet.

OP - I didn't get on with Amazon tablet, the HUDL looks like a good tablet

"Marked down"? At nursery? Jesus, what nursery are you using?!
  • and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are still looking for a tablet then Staples are currently selling a Linx 8 inch windows tablet for £49 if you buy it in store. It has a quad core processor and 32Gb storage. I picked one up last night and while it isn't quite the same speed and quality as an iPad Air it is perfectly usable and feels very well made for a £49 tablet. It also has the benefit that you will be teaching your child how to use Windows at the same time as they use the tablet. You can also buy 8 of them for the same price as the iPad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Within a couple of decades anyone without a good knowledge of computers is going to have a very hard time getting work. Denying a child access to computers nowadays is like not allowing them to read books. By the time you do let them near a computer they will be years behind their classmates and will be treated by them as the modern equivalent of the village idiot.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and101 wrote: »
    Within a couple of decades anyone without a good knowledge of computers is going to have a very hard time getting work. Denying a child access to computers nowadays is like not allowing them to read books. By the time you do let them near a computer they will be years behind their classmates and will be treated by them as the modern equivalent of the village idiot.
    At 4 years old?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and101 wrote: »

This is nothing to do with learning to use a computer, but more like plonking a ipad in front of a young child to keep them amused all day.
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is nothing to do with learning to use a computer, but more like plonking a ipad in front of a young child to keep them amused all day.

Oh purlease get over yourself.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member

Get outside in the fresh air and run around else we'll have another obese child in the making. Spare the rod...............................etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    At 4 years old?

gemma-the-husky was talking about giving 7 year olds access to computers at school.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

An ipad is a computer, it may use a RISC architecture instead of the CISC architecture you find in most desktop PCs but the rest of the underlying technology is pretty much the same.

Playing with an ipad will teach them many of the principles behind using any other type of computer and seeing as desktops are increasingly becoming touch and gesture based an ipad would be a good way to introduce computing to a young child.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    In any case shouldn't we be talking about Tablets and not wretched Apple products all the time?
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How sad to be discussing a suitable tablet for a four year old.

Call me an old fart but my son was playing with Thomas the Tank engine at that age.

I have to put my foot down to stop him spending too long on my daughter's I pad when he sees it standing idle.

What's next? A phone for a six year old?
    Forum Member
    How sad to be discussing a suitable tablet for a four year old.

Call me an old fart but my son was playing with Thomas the Tank engine at that age.

I have to put my foot down to stop him spending too long on my daughter's I pad when he sees it standing idle.

What's next? A phone for a six year old?

They can do both you know. Just because a four year old enjoys playing on a tablet, doesn't mean they are not going to be doing anything else. My nephew loves going on my brothers ipad, but he also loves drawing, painting, playing with other toys and he has a fantastic imagination and loves to play schools, workmen etc..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jarryhack wrote: »
    They can do both you know. Just because a four year old enjoys playing on a tablet, doesn't mean they are not going to be doing anything else. My nephew loves going on my brothers ipad, but he also loves drawing, painting, playing with other toys and he has a fantastic imagination and loves to play schools, workmen etc..

That is fine, but I bet in a lot of cases it is just lazy parents dumping a ipad in front of their children to keep them entertained.
    Forum Member
    That is fine, but I bet in a lot of cases it is just lazy parents dumping a ipad in front of their children to keep them entertained.

And you know the OP do you? Do you think that is what is going to happen in their household? Or is this just jumping on the preachy bandwagon? I've never heard so much judgemental crap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You could say the same thing about lazy parents who dump their kids in front of a train set to keep them entertained. At least with a tablet they can do more than watch a train go around in circles all day.