Litter tray question

gothergother Posts: 14,705
Forum Member
✭✭
I live in a high rise flat and currently have a standard litter tray (one of those from the poundshop) for my cat.
But due to the cat climbing up the curtains and getting onto the window sill i can't have the windows open much as i live on 20th floor.
Would i be better off investing £17 in getting a hooded litter tray or is there any powders to stop the odours stinking out the flat?
I change his litter every 4 days and also scoop it twice a day too.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    gother wrote: »
    I live in a high rise flat and currently have a standard litter tray (one of those from the poundshop) for my cat.
    But due to the cat climbing up the curtains and getting onto the window sill i can't have the windows open much as i live on 20th floor.
    Would i be better off investing £17 in getting a hooded litter tray or is there any powders to stop the odours stinking out the flat?
    I change his litter every 4 days and also scoop it twice a day too.

A hooded tray does help the smell but doesn't stop it 100%.

I scoop as many times as it needs and change the litter every 2 days - but then I have two kittens sharing it at the moment.

You can invest in some plastic grate-things that you put in your open window to stop them jumping out?!

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I change the litter every other day. I scoop after each poop if i see them doing one. I have about 8 litter trays a go through at least 2 big bags of litter a week. What litter do you use as the cheaper ones stink when they have been weed in. I use catsan. Its a litter dearer but well worth it.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maisey Moo wrote: »
    I change the litter every other day. I scoop after each poop if i see them doing one. I have about 8 litter trays a go through at least 2 big bags of litter a week. What litter do you use as the cheaper ones stink when they have been weed in. I use catsan. Its a litter dearer but well worth it.

I'm using Aldis own brand one it came highly recommended. It costs £1.79 for 10kg.
  • gertrude hubblegertrude hubble Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a hooded tray but my cats are far to big to use it with the lid on there now. It was fine when they were kittens and to some extent it disguised the smell. Thankfully they go outside now and save using the litter tray to when I have guests!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have tried hate too say it cheaper brands but they are yuk. Catsan is the best. My cats also dont like messy litter trays either. Do you wash the litter tray out ever time you have a litter change. Also if you put a plug in or a airfresher thing safely away so the cats cant get it they do get rid of some of the smell.
  • missyaliciamissyalicia Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes catsan is good. Also home bargains have silica gel for 2.49. I use that in a hooded tray. It still smells if they don't bury their poo though. Have tried Venetian blinds on your windows.
  • missyaliciamissyalicia Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to add, Pets at home were selling a hooded tray with flap for under 10. It's quite large compared to some of the more expensive ones too.