Options

Sam used to work on a cruise ship!

Comments

• Options
    ToriamathToriamath Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assumed she must have had some experience before to have such a good voice so it didn't really come as a shock to me.
  • Options
    bananaa_bobbananaa_bob Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a stigma attached to cruise ship singers (similiar to going on X factor) & they like holiday camp performers were sneered at by Cowell yet the show has become so desperate every performer looks like a future cruise ship singer, there's no edge with any of the performers & they lack any sort of charisma & are basically nothing more than karaoke puppets. The song choices are predictable & it's all been done (& better) by the original artists, so there is nothing fresh or exciting watching a bunch of wannabes doing the same thing, it's just another version of Stars In Their Eyes. A few years ago while at a holiday camp there was a final twelve x factor act doing a regular summer slot & they were truly appalling, 6 songs sung karaoke with backing tracks & it was a good indicator of how poor these artists are live, there's no shortcuts to true success.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    scratchy23 wrote: »
    I still fail to understand why cruise-ship work has such a stigma attached to it. It's actually a very competitive industry. You get paid loads to do it, and while you're on the cruise ship, you're not really spending any money at all, as your accommodation is paid for as well as all your food. You come out of a cruise ship job with quite a hefty pay cheque!

It's always been a mystery to me why the judges use "cruise ship singer" and "musical theatre" as insults
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    sweetie939 wrote: »
    I don't get why you are so surprised about this....singing at small gigs and on a cruise ship is not the same thing as doing the X factor in front of a huge audience and trying to get a record deal, they make pittance :confused:

I would be very surprised if any of the contestants hadn't sang in front of small audiences before. She is not going to go from singing in front of a mirror to singing on X factor is she

I don't think anyone objects to X Factor constestants having previous history in the music biz. What annoys people is when the contestants and/or the show itself tries to hide that history
  • Options
    Singy ThingySingy Thingy Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    It's always been a mystery to me why the judges use "cruise ship singer" and "musical theatre" as insults

Because, while the feature performers are often very good with good to outstanding voices(like Sam), most "cruise ship/musical theatre performers" are chorus/cast performers who double as staff for the venues and, at best, are people who love to perform and often work hard to sing in tune , project, and move well onstage, but have very ordinary, average voices and not much in the way of stage presence.

It's not so much an insult as a shortcut to telling them that they don't stand out any more than all the other average singers who had a bit of training and maybe got the lead in a community musical production.
  • Options
    PorkSausagePorkSausage Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »

There s a lot of snobbery in music.

Those who like one genre despise all the others.

"Cruise ship" and "Easily listening" are frequent targets, as are jazz ("it's just random"), and classical ("it's just pretentious"), whereas many of those of my parent's generating don't like any form of pop music.

And in practice there are many talented musicians shoe-horned into jobs that they don't like and feel are "beneath their talent", but which at least pay a wage.
  • Options
    Nastyman69Nastyman69 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is "cruise ship" tbh
    Great singer though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nastyman69 wrote: »
    She is "cruise ship" tbh
    Great singer though

But very good "cruise ship".

If the rest of that cruise ship was as goods as her, a lot of people would pay a lot of money for a trip.
  • Options
    Nastyman69Nastyman69 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But very good "cruise ship".

If the rest of that cruise ship was as goods as her, a lot of people would pay a lo of money for a trip.

I don't think I will tbh
  • Options
    Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt Cardle - I'm a painter and a bit of a bum :rolleyes:

When really, he was an experienced singer and musician.

http://youtu.be/FF10KBDEVGs
  • Options
    bananaa_bobbananaa_bob Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There s a lot of snobbery in music.

Those who like one genre despise all the others.

"Cruise ship" and "Easily listening" are frequent targets, as are jazz ("it's just random"), and classical ("it's just pretentious"), whereas many of those of my parent's generating don't like any form of pop music.

And in practice there are many talented musicians shoe-horned into jobs that they don't like and feel are "beneath their talent", but which at least pay a wage.

I don't think Jazz & Classical should be in the same sentence as Cruise Ship as both is of music of high quality. X factor, karaoke, Butlins & cruise ship is more of the same kind of acts, ie crap.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cruise Ship and Butlins shouldn't be used as or taken as insults imo. Very few people make it as recording artists and if you can make a living doing something you enjoy,shouldn't that be seen as a good thing?
  • Options
    squadgesquadge Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because, while the feature performers are often very good with good to outstanding voices(like Sam), most "cruise ship/musical theatre performers" are chorus/cast performers who double as staff for the venues and, at best, are people who love to perform and often work hard to sing in tune , project, and move well onstage, but have very ordinary, average voices and not much in the way of stage presence.[UNQUOTE=Singy Thingy;69433050]

On some lines this may be true (thought the in house production show singers on a couple of Celebrity X cruises were average and they didn't dance. However, the in house production groups on P&O are outstanding most of the time. On at least a couple of ships they perform 7 or 8 different shows on a two week cruise changing shows every other night and performing twice a night. They don't have other ship staff duties. They are usually all not long out of dance of drama school and the singers have to actually dance (not just move about) whilst singing. I have also seen some excellent free lance singers, musicians, comedians (and a couple of not so good ones) on cruise ships. It's not a bad life for a contract or two and you get to see some pretty amazing places.
  • Options
    claire800claire800 Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    Can I Say I took my mother to see Jane McDonald last night.
    Late birthday prezzie. The theatre was bursting at the seam atleast 1200+ audience to see Jane.
    To my surprise she was amazing held the audience in the palm of her hands for 2 hours.
    Her voice was stunning singing alot of her own penned songs.
    I feel Sam has alot to learn.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest I feel conned. The usual rubbish from the show. I'm a mother of 12 and a prison officer. It's portrayed that she's never sung professionally when in fact she has. It was like Matt cardle - yeah I'm a painter and decorator who sings in the shower
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    It's the same sh*t every year. Humble old housewife who sings in the shower gets praised to high heaven before we discover they've been a professional singer most of their adult life.

Still, it's not as bad as last year and Chris 'I've never sung in public before I'm doing it for me nan' who'd been working the cruise ships for years
    Yeah I was like they talked up the whole prison officer who had this amazing voice but hadn't used it till now MEH!!!!

You can't go on working on cruise ships when you're having children. As someone who's worked seasonally myself, I can quite understand why she ended up getting a regular job. It doesn't make me think less of her. Do you really expect miracles from this show?
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with being a cruise ship singer.

It just indicates that people have actually paid good money to hear her sing.
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest I feel conned. The usual rubbish from the show. I'm a mother of 12 and a prison officer. It's portrayed that she's never sung professionally when in fact she has. It was like Matt cardle - yeah I'm a painter and decorator who sings in the shower

I'm quite sure that if she could have made enough money from gigging she wouldn't have had to take a job as a prison officer.
  • Options
    kitten12kitten12 Posts: 3,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with being a cruise ship singer.

It just indicates that people have actually paid good money to hear her sing.

Albeit a crusie ship audience is somewhat captive;)
  • Options
    Last RequestLast Request Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Cruise Ship and Butlins shouldn't be used as or taken as insults imo. Very few people make it as recording artists and if you can make a living doing something you enjoy,shouldn't that be seen as a good thing?

Hypocritical much? You gave Chris a hard time over his cruise ship past last year can't have it both ways.
  • Options
    ageappropriateageappropriate Posts: 9,895
    Forum Member
    kitten12 wrote: »
    Albeit a crusie ship audience is somewhat captive;)

Sounds like my Saturday nights in Autumn, glued to the car crash of XF, can't peel myself away! :D
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypocritical much? You gave Chris a hard time over his cruise ship past last year can't have it both ways.

I gave Chris a hard time for covering up his past, being dull as ditchwater,being a ridiculous drama queen, droning on about me nan and being a complete plank. I don't remember giving anyone a hard time for working for a living

Don't accuse me of something I haven't actually done unless you can back it up
  • Options
    wise-upwise-up Posts: 2,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually prefer if an act has had more experience as to me it shows they are actually serious about their craft and about music and not just in it for the fame or because they can't be bothered to get a real job.
  • Options
    wise-upwise-up Posts: 2,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought he got a hard time because he pretended he was nervous when he couldn't have been that bad as he had plenty of experience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Jazz & Classical should be in the same sentence as Cruise Ship as both is of music of high quality. X factor, karaoke, Butlins & cruise ship is more of the same kind of acts, ie crap.

There's plenty of crap Jazz and Classical music about as well - or at least performed badly.