Options

Hollyoaks general discussion (Part 11)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    when are they gonna kill off jono? i've never seen someone try so hard to act and fail so badly
  • Options
    PlantPlant Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    winfield87 wrote: »
    when are they gonna kill off jono? i've never seen someone try so hard to act and fail so badly

Maddie in her wistful moments tonight gave him a run for his money. :D
  • Options
    ReoReo Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    Brekkie wrote: »
    I don't get why Callum isn't looking at Deenas - I'm sure he was in that area last time.

I'm pretty sure that Callum went to the house, or at least the street. George asked him to look there for Phoebe just after he escaped, I think I remember a lot of posts saying what if they grabbed Callum!

These teens aren't smart, but then Maddie is their leader, what can you expect?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He certainly is bad, no getting away from that and welcome winfield
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plant wrote: »
    Maddie in her wistful moments tonight gave him a run for his money. :D

Yes she certainly did and not just in her wistful scene
  • Options
    fairyfruitcakefairyfruitcake Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crappest Brendan stuff I've ever seen. They've got really lazy with him, think they can just stick him on doing anything, especially taking his top off, and everyone will just swoon.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm a "fan" and I sure ain't happy. He's a massive character. He needs a big storyline that means something. Total waste of the actor at the moment.

I wonder whether part of the problem is that they have made Brendan too big a character for a soap, he doesn't fit too well into the every day business that you need for a continuing drama. Personally I like him better now the actor has calmed down a bit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

fantastic first post :D

it may not be a popular opinion but I prefer Brendan when he's all hyped up and eccentricly amazing. I think he's too big a character to be used in such mundane storylines, it just doesn't work for me
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iShum wrote: »
    fantastic first post :D

it may not be a popular opinion but I prefer Brendan when he's all hyped up and eccentricly amazing. I think he's too big a character to be used in such mundane storylines, it just doesn't work for me

Yeah, this whole turning Joel into a mini-Brenden thing sounded quite dramatic at the time. And then they have them making cocktails! They were almost the same few scenes pretty much repeated.
  • Options
    LemonadeManLemonadeMan Posts: 81,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Brendan works fantastically in day-to-day scenes. That episode a few weeks ago where he and Darren were discussing weddings - That was fantastic. Everyday, mundane, but good.
  • Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have now learnt to never expect too much from Hollyoaks and when you think it's going to be good, don't get your hopes up!

Because I did want to see the sixth formers all of a sudden 'caring' for George! And seeing nothing of George's nightmare! :rolleyes:

Scott/Annaliese actually moved on a bit, but I'm so bored of love triangles!!!
    Texas/Leanne :yawn:
    Even Brendan stuff was boring!!

Next!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Brendan works fantastically in day-to-day scenes. That episode a few weeks ago where he and Darren were discussing weddings - That was fantastic. Everyday, mundane, but good.

I did love those scenes in particular but on the whole, I prefer him all badass and when I'm left trying to work him out
  • Options
    mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member

It's great if they're with humour or a character he sparks well off (like Darren) but tonight's wasn't funny or particularly interesting just flat.
  • Options
    avon942avon942 Posts: 18,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reo wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that Callum went to the house, or at least the street. George asked him to look there for Phoebe just after he escaped, I think I remember a lot of posts saying what if they grabbed Callum!

These teens aren't smart, but then Maddie is their leader, what can you expect?

Personal feelings aside - if you were in the teens position what would you do? How would you handle the situation?

Me personally if I was George I would have called the police as soon as I escaped especially when phoebes whereabouts and safety were uncertain!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    avon942 wrote: »
    Personal feelings aside - if you were in the teens position what would you do? How would you handle the situation?

Me personally if I was George I would have called the police as soon as I escaped especially when phoebes whereabouts and safety were uncertain!

Yes he should have done
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tinkie wrote: »
    Yes he should have done

I think the thing is he has run away from home, so didn't want to involve the police, of course it will be taken out of his hands now.
    And he thought she was safe because of the bracelet
  • Options
    Forum Member

Exactly that.. I would have called the police for my safety, for my friends safety, for those that were captured before me and those that may be captured after me.

I know George was scared about being found out as homeless, but he should have thought of others and called the police. Callum shouldn't have gone to Maddie first, he should have called the police, the teens shouldn't have wasted the day, they should have called the police.

I know it is to build the tension, but couldn't George have phoned the police and they not find anything at the house so they leave. Then the storyline could have carried on as it did, then Callum should have called the police, when George went missing again, who then go back to the house but think everything is fine because of the 'false report' before, then the teens could have had their little search.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mojo5000 wrote: »
    It's great if they're with humour or a character he sparks well off (like Darren) but tonight's wasn't funny or particularly interesting just flat.

Maybe he just doesn't fit the show anymore because they have gone more teen orientated and safe with their storylines?

Perhaps a spinoff would be the answer.
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    I wonder whether part of the problem is that they have made Brendan too big a character for a soap, he doesn't fit too well into the every day business that you need for a continuing drama. Personally I like him better now the actor has calmed down a bit.

I don't think so. When he first started, it was just brilliant how they had him badassing his way round the village, fairly mundane stuff a lot of the time, but they kept weaving it back to the different storylines, Veronica, Mal, Ste, whoever.

Tonight's stuff was just too fillery for me. He always had this amazing buzzy energy about him, and it's like his fizz is flat, but I just put it down to the writing really.
  • Options
    NeomysterioNeomysterio Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just when i thought i couldn't hate George any more, he goes and says that about the dog. How can Rilley, Seth and Carl not be seen right for Hollyoaks but George gets to stay

For goodness sake, please tell me you're joking? :eek:

If not then... oh dear is all I will say to that. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    avon942avon942 Posts: 18,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reo wrote: »
    Exactly that.. I would have called the police for my safety, for my friends safety, for those that were captured before me and those that may be captured after me.

I know George was scared about being found out as homeless, but he should have thought of others and called the police. Callum shouldn't have gone to Maddie first, he should have called the police, the teens shouldn't have wasted the day, they should have called the police.

I know it is to build the tension, but couldn't George have phoned the police and they not find anything at the house so they leave. Then the storyline could have carried on as it did, then Callum should have called the police, when George went missing again, who then go back to the house but think everything is fine because of the 'false report' before, then the teens could have had their little search.

Exactly this! i agree with all of it and this is exactly how it should have been done! I think the only reason callum told maddie is beacuse shes georges friend and he didnt want to go to the police.
    Even when maddie said she was going to call the police he still said no and while i understand he wants to respect Georges wishes you cant always, clealrly this is an ocasion when the polce needed to be imfored asap!

As someone said earlier why isnt callum looking near where george told him to look for phoebe when she disappeared! Isnt that near deenies anyway?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plant wrote: »
    Maybe he just doesn't fit the show anymore because they have gone more teen orientated and safe with their storylines?

I really hope this isn't the case, though it looks more like it. Perhaps if we'd been given any indication at all to this years big storylines it'd look differently, but as it is, it's all teen teen teen no balls HO
    I don't think so. When he first started, it was just brilliant how they had him badassing his way round the village, fairly mundane stuff a lot of the time, but they kept weaving it back to the different storylines, Veronica, Mal, Ste, whoever.

Tonight's stuff was just too fillery for me. He always had this amazing buzzy energy about him, and it's like his fizz is flat, but I just put it down to the writing really.

yeah! I love the things that make Brendan Brendan. Being all badass one minute and shoving toast/any food available the next. And the infamous tea scene with Amy - that'll always be one of my all time favourite scenes, I loved it. I miss that, that's what the character should be doing. Not spending an episode wasted making cocktails, but I'm really happy to see him back
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were times tonight when Callum was expressing so little emotion that he looked very shifty, like he was hiding something. I think it was bad acting but with a different storyline it could have been great. Imagine if he was in league with Deena. Evil Callum :D
  • Options
    Jingle JangleJingle Jangle Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, exactly, poor old Brendo. Relegated to teaching Little Foxy to mixing cocktails. I understand that every character has to take a bit of a back seat and do filler sometimes, and I don't mind a bit of day to day Brendan. The pub quiz was good, as was the stuff with Darren. I just don't understand what the storyliners and writers are thinking by sidelining their best character for so long. He's had precious little to do for most of this year.

They better have something a bit more exciting and interesting for him to do in the pipeline. And by interesting, I don't mean club wars or stuff with Joel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Exactly this! i agree with all of it and this is exactly how it should have been done! I think the only reason callum told maddie is beacuse shes georges friend and he didnt want to go to the police.
    Even when maddie said she was going to call the police he still said no and while i understand he wants to respect Georges wishes you cant always, clealrly this is an ocasion when the polce needed to be imfored asap!

As someone said earlier why isnt callum looking near where george told him to look for phoebe when she disappeared! Isnt that near deenies anyway?

I think that will probably come at the end, the teens will search and search and then Callum will finally realise where to search and they go there. Stupidity for the sake of a plot.

I know it isn't over yet, but I think I have hated more than I have liked and the only thing I have really been excited by are the pictures we have seen and all the talk on the forum, but when it comes down to watch it on screen, its a let down.

It could have been great and I don't know why it isn't. While watching it many people post what they should have done, so if it is obvious to us, why isn't it obvious to those that are writing it.

Why was George shown running through the woods to have the lame climax of Deena arriving in the car and have George just walk in because of a threat to Ash and Lacey! George could have ran and gone to the police and they could have protected them.

They should have had George phone the police after the first escape, they find no signs of anything wrong so assume it is a prank.. Then with this escape they should have had George running, see the car, hoping for help but then it is Graham that grabs George, throws him in the car and then drags him into that room. At that point Phoebe realises what she has done and tries to fight against them (instead of acting like she is just there to pass time), but she also gets dragged in. Callum should have called the police straight away who wouldn't have taken it seriously because it wouldn't have been 24 hours yet and the previous 'false report', then the teens could have gotten involved, not that I would have liked that, they are too poor to make this storyline good. There characters are horrible, they haven't been shown to care much about George in the past and their acting is "poor, terrible, questionable and oh my god, what are they doing there?!"

But at least if they did the other stuff, there would be a lot of drama in the other scenes for most people to happily put up with the teens, as long as it wasn't overkill, this is George's storyline, not the rest of the teens and their "Why didn't we know?" and "It could be aliens".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand that every character has to take a bit of a back seat and do filler sometimes.

I don't really agree with this. I think the best characters should be at the forefront most of the time. Other soaps tend to make sure their big stars get the meatiest storylines. I don't think Hollyoaks should be any different. Treating every cast member equally just leads to mediocrity and lack of viewers.
This discussion has been closed.