Options

F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2012 Season (part 3)

Comments

• Options
    RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch in SD... all I know is, the picture quality is satisfactory to me. .

Might be best not to comment with words like "marginal difference" then regarding HD BBC/Sky - when you are watching in SD......
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bernie Ecclestone:

Don't you think he looks tired?

Are you saying that in a Doctor Who way? :p
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bernie Ecclestone:

Now he's doomed! That was from Doctor Who wasn't it?

codename_47 He will be forced to resign.

Ken
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    Ajay wrote: »

Quite right too ;)
  • Options
    AdderAdder Posts: 1,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    One minor change I noticed for the intro end-board and advert 'boards' on Sky Sports F1 - in that the Sky Sports logo has been removed (it used to be below the F1 logo).

I am sure there used to be an "F1" in the top left of Sky's "back 7 rows" grid graphic too an that seems to be gone. It might have been the odd not-official logo used in the first "F1 Show" logo.

Perhaps the FOM branding people got onto Sky, I know at work we have some quite strict branding rules with our logo and when used in proximity to other logos.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Ajay wrote: »

Happy I wasn't the only one who automatically thought Doctor Who.
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    Something I noticed during this mornings excellent Auto GP race (seriously, give it a watch, you won't believe such a street track could put on an out and out classic race) and again seems to be the case for WTCC qualifying is that Martin Haven's commentary runs ahead of the pictures by about a second or two.

I don't mind that tbh, gives you the opportunity to catch the incident he is reacting to live if your attention has wandered for a moment.

Also there was a bit of a stupid crash about 20 seconds after the first qualifying started for the WTCC, very professional driving! (HI BEN! :D )
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adder wrote: »
    I am sure there used to be an "F1" in the top left of Sky's "back 7 rows" grid graphic too an that seems to be gone. It might have been the odd not-official logo used in the first "F1 Show" logo.

Perhaps the FOM branding people got onto Sky, I know at work we have some quite strict branding rules with our logo and when used in proximity to other logos.

In fact, yes, I notice that the logo has been removed a lot around the Sky F1 website:

- http://www1.skysports.com/formula1/drivers/mark-webber
    - http://www1.skysports.com/formula1/grandprix/malaysia
    - http://www1.skysports.com/formula1/teams/ferrari

On the little 'consoles' with driver/GP/team details there used to be the official F1 logo in the top left corner of the consoles, which has since been removed. (although I don't know how long it has been since its been removed seeing as I don't look at those pages often, but it was definitely there on the websites' launch)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fact, yes, I notice that the logo has been removed a lot around the Sky F1 website:

- http://www1.skysports.com/formula1/drivers/mark-webber
    - http://www1.skysports.com/formula1/grandprix/malaysia
    - http://www1.skysports.com/formula1/teams/ferrari

On the little 'consoles' with driver/GP/team details there used to be the official F1 logo in the top left corner of the consoles, which has since been removed. (although I don't know how long it has been since its been removed seeing as I don't look at those pages often, but it was definitely there on the websites' launch)

Do you recon they will change there actual logo. They could just write F1 in there normal font.

Ken
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Bernie Ecclestone:

More so than you would expect of an old man with a young wife? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    More so than you would expect of an old man with a young wife? :D

I hope what I thought there was not what you meant!:D

Ken:)
  • Options
    _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    RedSnapper wrote: »
    Might be best not to comment with words like "marginal difference" then regarding HD BBC/Sky - when you are watching in SD......

I was referring to BBC SD v Sky SD ... just because you don't have HD doesn't mean you can't have an opinion on picture quality.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something I noticed during this mornings excellent Auto GP race (seriously, give it a watch, you won't believe such a street track could put on an out and out classic race) and again seems to be the case for WTCC qualifying is that Martin Haven's commentary runs ahead of the pictures by about a second or two.

I don't mind that tbh, gives you the opportunity to catch the incident he is reacting to live if your attention has wandered for a moment.

Also there was a bit of a stupid crash about 20 seconds after the first qualifying started for the WTCC, very professional driving! (HI BEN! :D )

I noticed that aswell and once I got used to it I had the same reaction. And yes recommend anyone to watch that AutoGP race was quite awesome :).
  • Options
    dsweetenhamdsweetenham Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah it does seem to be a bit of the Eurosport trait. David Harmon doing Paris Roubaix (cycling) last weekend was well ahead of the pictures.

Perhaps it's to do with when they actually commentate 'on site'!? Harmon (who was in Roubaix) mentioned they'd switch to commentating off the actual Eurosport broadcast after few people complained.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXODv4Uxlaw

1:40 in is the most obvious example. Although as you say it gives you chance to look at the screen if you are doing something else!
  • Options
    dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I haven't watched BBC yet, may do later but I think had you replaced Herbert with Hill then I would have watched BBC. Lazenby. Brundle and Herbert is better than Humphrey, Jordan and Coulthard in my opinion, Lazenby and Humphrey are even-stevems, Brundle beats Coulthard and Herbert beats Jordan as EJ likes to be controversial for the sake of it. I mean EJ's good, but some of the things he says borders on the ridiculous. If it was Hill instead of Herbert then I would have watched BBC as listening to Hill is equivalent to watching paint dry.

Its very close now with Herbert in the mix and agree if it was Hill, i wouldnt be watching at all. Love a bit of Eddie, so cant miss that, answer is to watch both but can only watch the race live once and i still havent decided who i prefer. Will be BBC first, enforced by logistics and i love a bit of Ben but still find Crofty and Brundle with the added bonus of Ted, a more rounded and complete offering.

Spoilt for choice these days i guess.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    Ha who were the names on that graphic?

Thought I'd imagined that! Especial as the Sky team made no reference to it...
    Ben gave the answer straight away on the BBC.

This will teach me for not following the path to the legend's voice! Going on this and what most people have said of this morning, I'll definitely be on board with the BBC live tomorrow.

EDIT: Saying that, I will miss Herbert. Sky should have had him since the beginning of the season. They should have followed the knowledgeable peoples advice. ;)
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'll stick with Sky until at least the end of the race. Sky's pre-show I will watch because it starts earlier than BBC's, and by the time BBC have done their Qualifying round-up and 'Last Time Out' it will probably be near quarter past the hour, at which point Sky will be well into their show.

Post-race depends on whether Sky take any adverts or not, if they do then I'll switch to BBC.
  • Options
    johnashjohnash Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    I was glad to get back to the BBC coverage for live Qualifying today.after two races on Sky. Jake makes it for me and I soon adjusted to Ben Edwards and DC on commentary. I think they work well together though I thought Ben had the odd Legardesque moments when he got too "excited". No need to shout, dear.

But why were the BBC forced "out back" between qualifying sessions while Sky were in the pitlane? Are they getting more favourable treatment from the organisers? Or are the two teams just trying to avoid each other?

Tomorrow's race I will watch on BBC and will only be forced, reluctantly, back to Sky when the BBC are not covering the race live. Wonder if there will be a grid walk by someone?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good god if BBC and Sky improve much more then we will have nothing to talk about!

Ken
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I'll stick with Sky until at least the end of the race. Sky's pre-show I will watch because it starts earlier than BBC's, and by the time BBC have done their Qualifying round-up and 'Last Time Out' it will probably be near quarter past the hour, at which point Sky will be well into their show.

Post-race depends on whether Sky take any adverts or not, if they do then I'll switch to BBC.

Sky won't be taking a break till BBC go off air tomorrow (bit like today)
  • Options
    The WandererThe Wanderer Posts: 5,238
    Forum Member
    johnash wrote: »

But why were the BBC forced "out back" between qualifying sessions while Sky were in the pitlane? Are they getting more favourable treatment from the organisers? Or are the two teams just trying to avoid each other?

BBC have often left the pitlane to do their bits in between sessions. That's nothing new
  • Options
    Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit naughty advertising at the football today, on the electronic hoardings, Sky showed

Chinese Grand Prix tomorrow, Live only on Sky Sports F1.

II will be watching on BBC.

However assuming the Bahrain race goes ahead, which seems likely, I will go to a pub showing it on Sky, might be able to judge which gives the better coverage.

What seems encouraging is that both BBC and Sky are providing good coverage .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jules 1 wrote: »
    Bit naughty advertising at the football today, on the electronic hoardings, Sky showed

Chinese Grand Prix tomorrow, Live only on Sky Sports F1.

II will be watching on BBC.

However assuming the Bahrain race goes ahead, which seems likely, I will go to a pub showing it on Sky, might be able to judge which gives the better coverage.

What seems encouraging is that both BBC and Sky are providing good coverage .

A Pub showing F1. Well blow me down.

Are there even any Pubs left?

Ken
  • Options
    dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just caught up with the post race, BBC's effort was very slick and effortless, thought at the time Sky would have to go some to top it and in the beginning it was pretty ropey tbh, but once Brundle finished his ice cream, it stepped up a big notch. Martin is on fire this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dansus wrote: »
    Just caught with the post race, BBC's effort was very slick and effortless, thought at the time Sky would have to go some to top it and in the beginning it was pretty ropey tbh, but once Brundle finished his ice cream, it stepped up a big notch. Martin is on fire this year.

Oh dear put him out poor man! He need's a lesson in fire safety I believe.

Not nice to be on fire you know. it's HOT!:eek: It's so hot you could believe you were on FIRE! (Oh hang on....)

Anyway! Good to see he's back on form this year.

Ken
This discussion has been closed.