Is Bluetooth the way forward?

T--JT--J Posts: 19,550
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm no spring chicken who's interested in the latest craze and I'm currently looking into buying a new mobile which is likely to last me for a few years. My favourite so far is the Samsung E600 as it has good reviews and most of the facilities I'm looking for but it doesn't have bluetooth. I don't really know what it's used for so I don't know if I should compromise on some of my other priorities in order to have bluetooth - will it be an essential facility soon? :confused:

Help ... please!!!! :confused:

Thanks. :)

TJ

PS. Thanks to StevenGray16 and Davester for the recommendations in my other thread. I thought I was onto a winner with the Samsung E300 as it's £74.97 at Argos but not in stock anywhere.

Comments

• mark_bmark_b Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use Bluetooth a lot and would never consider buying a phone without it now. I use it for saving photos taken with my phone to my computer for permanent storage; for sending cheap (free) ringtones, pictures, themes, videos etc from my PC to my phone; for swapping pics etc between friends without having to use picture messaging. You could also get a bluetooth headset so that you can use your phone while driving (as a hands free system).

Bluetooth is a local network system for sending files between compatible devices. It costs nothing to send stuff although the other device has to be less than 10 metres away. http://www.bluetooth.com/ has more information.
  • SuperTed187SuperTed187 Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh aye, I got my first moble with blutooth recently, its very useful for all of the mentioned above with one of those little bluetooth dongles. I can walk into my room, turn my bluetooth on on my phone and throw it anywhere in my room. I can then take or put stuff onto my fone from my computer.

Its good in lectures aswell or on the train when you are bored, you can send random people random things :D
  • T--JT--J Posts: 19,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the info :) - I've decided not to buy the Samsung E300 as it doesn't have the bluetooth.
  • WeeksyWeeksy Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Sony Ericson have already started working on something to replace Bluetooth, due to be released late 2005 I believe?

Read it on El Rego :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    weeksy2001 wrote:
    Sony Ericson have already started working on something to replace Bluetooth, due to be released late 2005 I believe?

Read it on El Rego :)
    Lol! I guess I'll always be one step behind! :rolleyes: :D
  • steve007steve007 Posts: 1,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T--J wrote:
    Is Bluetooth the way forward?

No. The way forward is a network made up of lots of devices forming connections with each other to create one large independant wireless network allowing for free calls and data within devices connected to that network.
  • SuperTed187SuperTed187 Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steve007 wrote:
    No. The way forward is a network made up of lots of devices forming connections with each other to create one large independant wireless network allowing for free calls and data within devices connected to that network.

Yes very true but lol when are mobile phone companies ever going to give us anything for free?

They hate each other so much they make us pay loads to call other networks!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes very true but lol when are mobile phone companies ever going to give us anything for free?

They hate each other so much they make us pay loads to call other networks!
    The phone companies wont give us anything for free....however already people manipulate software of phones to provide additional functions...more control etc.

Very soon, we will see such devices for example the dell axim ;) using software and sd wifi cards to provide private networks for voice and data.......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi steve007, there was a bit of a *Wooosh* factor with your post for me last night, I'm afraid! :o But reading it today, with your other post, I think I understand now - you think we'll be using a system linking our mobile to our PC, rather like a wireless network that I currently have with my 2 PC's, right? How far off are we on this? Are you saying it's not worth bothering about bluetooth? I was advised in Phones-4-U today, that a data cable is just as adequate for data transfer, just a little slower.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T--J wrote:
    Hi steve007, there was a bit of a *Wooosh* factor with your post for me last night, I'm afraid! :o But reading it today, with your other post, I think I understand now - you think we'll be using a system linking our mobile to our PC, rather like a wireless network that I currently have with my 2 PC's, right? How far off are we on this? Are you saying it's not worth bothering about bluetooth? I was advised in Phones-4-U today, that a data cable is just as adequate for data transfer, just a little slower.
    To be honest I was kinda off topic - sorry!

I was talking about another thing thats happening right now, but not officially.

You can link your phone to your pc now anyway by buying a bluetooth USB dongle and buying a phone that is bluetooth able.

Have you decided what phone you are going to buy yet?