Options

PlayStation4 or Xbox One : first impressions

Comments

• Options
    KillerCloudKillerCloud Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PS4 for me. I was willing to wait for Microsoft but this whole fee for used games thing has convinced me. Also I have little interest in waving my hand around or speaking to the console for it to do things. i just want to play decent games.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I understand the Used Game fee.. How I understand it is that two friends could go out and buy FIFA for £40, say the activation fee is £5 or £10, that takes the cost of the game up to £45-£50 meaning each player could pay just £25 for FIFA because you dont need the disk to play the game, it can be stored on the hard drive, one keeps the disk and one plays the HD version?

Surely that means people get a decent deal? This all depends on the activation fee being that small which it probably wont be

That's actually a good point, you could start a small group for getting games you are unsure of and add up buying £10-15 per person for every new release

I mean sure Microsoft can't just say it been activated to many times, the original owner can no longer use it, or of you have paid a fee then it would cause i huge uproar if you could then lose the license

the more i think about it the more i could see people buying a game and then essentially playing pass the parcel with all their friends who want it

MS need to give some clarity on this and soon, maybe today even
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,990
    Forum Member
    chopoff wrote: »
    Yeah. My guess is you still need the disc in the console, but that it just won't run from the disc - only used to to authenticate.

Oooooh that makes more sense than my understanding lol

Probably should say I'll be buying the Xbox for my boyfriend, he's not really a fan of Playstation and I have no interest in either lol, easy Birthday present for me :)
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PS4.

More powerful games machine, no annoying extras (pay to play online, the used games fiasco), brilliant value for money of Playstation Plus, more top quality studios working on exclusive titles.

I've had every Playstation since the PS1 (the one exception being the Vita) and have never been let down yet in terms of the quality of games. For me to make the switch to another next-gen console, Xbox or Nintendo would have to offer something truly revolutionary and groundbreaking. Neither have.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too early for me to decide personally. I need to see what happens at E3 and in the coming months.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    PS4 will be preordered with ShadowFall
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure I understand the Used Game fee.. How I understand it is that two friends could go out and buy FIFA for £40, say the activation fee is £5 or £10, that takes the cost of the game up to £45-£50 meaning each player could pay just £25 for FIFA because you dont need the disk to play the game, it can be stored on the hard drive, one keeps the disk and one plays the HD version?

Surely that means people get a decent deal? This all depends on the activation fee being that small which it probably wont be
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    That's actually a good point, you could start a small group for getting games you are unsure of and add up buying £10-15 per person for every new release

I mean sure Microsoft can't just say it been activated to many times, the original owner can no longer use it, or of you have paid a fee then it would cause i huge uproar if you could then lose the license

the more i think about it the more i could see people buying a game and then essentially playing pass the parcel with all their friends who want it

Not happening. Once it installs on a new console the first install deactivates.

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o564/ryanw30/usedgames_zps191ff7ad.jpg
  • Options
    gamez-fangamez-fan Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You forgot a poll option OP i wanted to vote for none of the above :D
    A extra charge for 2nd hand games what nonsense
  • Options
    Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive owned the PS1, PS2, Xbox and 360 and can say I've enjoyed them all immensely, but with the push towards paying huge prices for games that I will struggle to resell, and having to be connected to the internet for Cloud gaming (I guess you need a connection to actually access your OWN games, for the licence to be recognised)............Kinect which is still a gimick (unless they can provide a gadget show like experience with that great gaming rig along with oculus rift)

The PS4 seemingly is the gaming option

I just hate the Sony controller
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Love my 360, but it's a PS4 in the next gen.

Probably about 90% of my games, I buy, play and then sell on. Either that, or I buy them used to begin with.

No used games without paying a fee = no interest, sorry.
  • Options
    SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »

In theory this looks like it could be a great idea for a group of friends. But to suggest Microsoft hasn't thought this through is absurd. Id say there is two ways they will combat this. Fluctuating prices on the fee. IE first week or month high fee, 50% of retail price, dropping slowly. Or timed, so you can only install it one per week or month etc. Both ways would stop early passing of a game.

Also I take it that you cannot pay a fee without being online, so you must have an online connection to play preowned games.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In theory this looks like it could be a great idea for a group of friends. But to suggest Microsoft hasn't thought this through is absurd. Id say there is two ways they will combat this. Fluctuating prices on the fee. IE first week or month high fee, 50% of retail price, dropping slowly. Or timed, so you can only install it one per week or month etc. Both ways would stop early passing of a game.

Also I take it that you cannot pay a fee without being online, so you must have an online connection to play preowned games.

http://twitpic.com/cs90o0 Microsoft have thought of this I'm sorry to say.
  • Options
    scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member

How would it know if the original owners Xbox one was offline as I thought it didn't always have to be online?
  • Options
    SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Playing devils advocate, What if you don't go online?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is that official or just some random person tweeting it?

I've seen nothing else on the subject.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    odie8391 wrote: »
    Is that official or just some random person tweeting it?

I've seen nothing else on the subject.

I would say it was official as you don't need the disc after you have installed the game so if you sell it to someone else then they pay the 2nd hand fee then yours deactivates.

Then you would have to pay a fee to reactivate it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say it was official as you don't need the disc after you have installed the game so if you sell it to someone else then they pay the 2nd hand fee then yours deactivates.

Then you would have to pay a fee to reactivate it.

I meant is that an official confirmation, or is it just a rumour. I mean it makes sense in a money making way but has it been confirmed or is that Tweeter just someone suggesting it?
  • Options
    VegetaVegeta Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People are now going to start calling it xbox1. Just not cool anymore
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Vegeta wrote: »
    People are now going to start calling it xbox1. Just not cool anymore

They have just copied off HTC if you ask me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    odie8391 wrote: »
    I meant is that an official confirmation, or is it just a rumour. I mean it makes sense in a money making way but has it been confirmed or is that Tweeter just someone suggesting it?

Well they not going to let you sell the game to someone who then pays the fee and you the original owner can just keep playing it off the hard drive.

Life doesn't work like that I'm afraid.

:(
  • Options
    ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Playing devils advocate, What if you don't go online?
    No one knows but most of the major sites are reporting that games have to be installed to the internal HDD to play (just like on a PC) and you have to be online to register the game to your account (just like Steam).

Taking that info into consideration: if you cannot go online, you cannot play a game as the game must be installed before it can be played and in order to play the installed game, it has to register with your account which obviously requires an online connection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well they not going to let you sell the game to someone who then pays the fee and you the original owner can just keep playing it off the hard drive.

Life doesn't work like that I'm afraid.

:(

You never know, they may be feeling generous :D

But yeah, it's probably true, and I'm not saying it isn't. I would just like official confirmation.

To be fair I'm not getting one anyway though!
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like PS4 for me, We have multiple consoles every generation and obviously play games on them all, Can't be having the game deactivated every time we want to play on our own accounts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Zavvi are doing preorders for £399
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zavvi are doing preorders for £399

For which one?