Options

The EMPIRE Thread

Comments

• Options
    TiffanyThorneTiffanyThorne Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like rap or hiphop, but I LOVE this show. It knocked me out last week with "Adios" and "What the DJ Spins". The rest of the music I find ok so far but I wouldn't look for the songs on Youtube.

Cookie is wonderful: it's obvious where Hakeem got his chutzpah from ;-) I would love to rock leopard mini dresses, big fur coats and leopard high heels like her. Not sure about her nails though. All the actors are marvellous and it's clear the actresses who play Cookie, Cookie's assistant, Luscious' new wife and Luscious' secretary are enjoying every minute of their screen time. Terrence Howard plays the aspects of Luscious' personality masterfully. I know people call the show a Black Dynasty and it is like Dynasty with the lush dresses, bitchy comments, scheming and backbiting, but it also reveals a great deal about aspiration, the music business, how corporations play media, and how class and race are regarded in the US. Pity that Hakeem's "Obama is a sellout" scene hasn't been posted on Youtube- that was a OMG moment that cut deep, and one of the most telling comments I've seen about current American society.

I can't wait for the next episode- right after I saw the highlights for next week I clicked on rewind to see them again.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I really liked this one too. Jamal standing up to Lucious was a great moment. More of that please in later episodes.

Cookie vs. Anika works because both characters are evenly matched. I actually think Anika is a pretty likeable character too.

Andre's roleplay with his wife was strange, right?

Hakeem and the older woman I didn't see coming. He's still into Tiana, right?

Can't see Lucious getting caught for Bunky's death just yet. I didn't expect Cookie nearly getting caught with Carter that quickly though.

Up All Night was the music highlight of the episode. Nice guest appearances from Cuba Gooding Jr and Naomi Campbell too.

Michael needs a little more to do though, 8/10
  • Options
    simongvs70simongvs70 Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice (& new) article on the show from The Grauniad.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm enjoying it now, so I'm glad that I stuck with it after not being particularly into the first episode!
  • Options
    Sundance KidSundance Kid Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    This show gets a lot of praise and I do find it thoroughly entertaining. However, I there are a few things that annoy me.

1) How is it that everyone in the show seem to be able to judge a song within 2 seconds of listening to it? E.g. the sign of approval seems to be: 'that's hot'

2) As with most musical dramas the quality of the music on the show is very poor compared to 'real music' so it is hard to be convinced by the so-called 'hits' (especially Hakeem's songs).

3) I know it is fiction but it seems almost too far fetched that a rap label CEO can afford to throw millions around like Lucious does. E.g. the 3 million salary for cookie etc.

4) The whole Obama phone call
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This show gets a lot of praise and I do find it thoroughly entertaining. However, I there are a few things that annoy me.

1) How is it that everyone in the show seem to be able to judge a song within 2 seconds of listening to it? E.g. the sign of approval seems to be: 'that's hot'

2) As with most musical dramas the quality of the music on the show is very poor compared to 'real music' so it is hard to be convinced by the so-called 'hits' (especially Hakeem's songs).

3) I know it is fiction but it seems almost too far fetched that a rap label CEO can afford to throw millions around like Lucious does. E.g. the 3 million salary for cookie etc.

Jay Z is worth around $600 million so it's not too far fetched.
  • Options
    Mrs_JMrs_J Posts: 50
    Forum Member

4) The whole Obama phone call

I disagree with this sorry.
    I think the music fits perfectly with the show, The songs tell a story i.e Tell the Truth was the song which was played when Lucious was doing his TV interview, No Apologies was the song which Jamal sang in the club with Hakeem.

Timbaland produced most if not all the songs and given how talented he is, I think he's done brilliantly! He knows exactly what is "real music" as that's his day job. I can honestly see some of these songs being big hits if they aren't already in America.
  • Options
    TiffanyThorneTiffanyThorne Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like how the music advances the stories on the show. I'm not a fan of hip hop or rap but some of the songs are so good I went to Youtube to hear them again. And again, to my husband's surprise- I usually play Mel Torme and jazz videos. "Adios" is fantastic and I can see it becoming a bit hit.

Fun article from Vogue about the costumes on the show. Love Cooke's wardrobe. I so wish I had her Chanel necklace and big fur coats. I loved it in this week's episode when her high leopard heels sank in the courtyard after she got out of the limo. :phttp://www.vogue.com/slideshow/12640203/empire-best-fashion-moments-taraji-p-henson-naomi-campbell
  • Options
    FortyTwo25FortyTwo25 Posts: 5,170
    Forum Member
    Bump.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    'All the thots' that word is so funny to me
  • Options
    missbeeniemissbeenie Posts: 4,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The screen chemistry between Cookie and Lucsious is so good, they just sizzle.
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    missbeenie wrote: »
    The screen chemistry between Cookie and Lucsious is so good, they just sizzle.

Definitely. They are great to watch and Hakeem has become interesting
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Not my favourite episode but certainly a fun episode though.

Cookie is a good businesswoman/manager given her scenes with Hakeem/Tiana and Fatima showed this week.

The story with Titan was a little more interesting than I thought it would be actually.

Like that Anika found out about Lucious's illness in this episode as well. Andrew covering for him I did expect a little.

Jamal didn't have the greatest moments in this one but I did like Keep Your Money as well as Hakeem/Tiana's Keep It Movin as well, 7/10
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What i don't understand is, if Lucious only has 3 years maximum to live then can the show go on without him?
  • Options
    natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs_J wrote: »
    What i don't understand is, if Lucious only has 3 years maximum to live then can the show go on without him?

Who says that they won't just drag out the years throughout the seasons they are on air they could easily make 1 year last for a couple of seasons meaning that his 3 year death scenario could mean he'd be alive on screen for numerous seasons!

For example the first 3 seasons of greys anatomy took place over 1 calendar year!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    natalie77 wrote: »
    Who says that they won't just drag out the years throughout the seasons they are on air they could easily make 1 year last for a couple of seasons meaning that his 3 year death scenario could mean he'd be alive on screen for numerous seasons!

For example the first 3 seasons of greys anatomy took place over 1 calendar year!

Ah yes never thought of this :)
  • Options
    tim18tim18 Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the show is ok so far.... Nothing amazing.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are the ratings like for this show now? Has it increased in viewers yet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    What are the ratings like for this show now? Has it increased in viewers yet?

366k on Tuesday compared to 460k for week one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    366k on Tuesday compared to 460k for week one.

is that good or bad?
    just hoping this isnt going to be one of those shows which E4 air and then don't renew the contract for Season 2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mrs_J wrote: »
    is that good or bad?
    just hoping this isnt going to be one of those shows which E4 air and then don't renew the contract for Season 2

Hard to tell with overnights these days as as lot of people view shows on catch up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mr Anthony Hamilton

Important scene
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andre has Lucious dirty streak running through him hard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FortyTwo25 wrote: »
    Mr Anthony Hamilton

Important scene

I love Anthony Hamilton's voice it's so smooth and sexy.
  • Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    Oh my! This is where the thread went? I was sure I posted it in the soaps forum?