Options

Healthy breakfast ideas

XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
Forum Member
I get hungry at work in the morning and like to eat a good breakfast. I used to eat a big bowl of cereal before work; weetabix, porridge, brankflakes etc. However, I've been having 'stomach issues' and eating a wheat-based cereal is a big no-no. :o I've tried wheat-free cereals but hated them and I'm sick to the back teeth of rice krispies and cornflakes. I get hungry whilst at work and don't get any time to eat until lunch at 1 pm. Any ideas for healthy, filling breakfasts please?

Thank you. :)

Comments

• Options
    DrPepperDrPepper Posts: 2,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fruit salad, honey and fat free greek yogurt
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    An Omelete is always easy to make - and you can add mushrooms, peppers, ham, onion, tomato and cheese (whatever you like).

If you're conscious of the calories/fat - use one egg yolk to three egg whites and leave the cheese out.

Add a fruit salad or a smoothie on the side, and you're in business. :cool:
  • Options
    missloomissloo Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a boiled egg? I have this quite a lot so i dont snack during the morning :)
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    A sausage sarnie on wheat free bread? Brown sauce or mustard on it as well, of course.
  • Options
    doughnut8doughnut8 Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coconut
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Omlettes - nice and quick.

Bananas, I have one with a yoghurt before work and it keeps me going.

How do you feel about porridge?
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its probably the rubbish you are eating the rest of the day thats giving you problems - not the porridge and shredded tweets
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    I have shreddies,,cheerios,, chopped grapes and raisns , with milk poured over,,Yum, like it crispy not soggy..lol
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Full english is nice and healthy

Grilled bacon, mushroom & sausage
    Boiled egg
    Toast without butter
    Tinned tomato and baked beans
    Cup of tea with semi skimmed milk
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know, toast can be quite energy releasing, especially if you put something on it like nutella (supposedly...), so you could try toast with like, different spreads and toppings? Then there are the stuff like crumpets, bagels, brioche, croissants and so on..
  • Options
    minorityminority Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know, toast can be quite energy releasing, especially if you put something on it like nutella (supposedly...), so you could try toast with like, different spreads and toppings? Then there are the stuff like crumpets, bagels, brioche, croissants and so on..

Better still drop the nutella and go with peanut butter (whole earth as it has no added sugar) and you get a good hit of protein to hold off hunger, pop it on wholemeal bread of course. This way you remove that nasty fast burning sugar and chocolate that in nutella that will make you hungry.
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A piece of fruit and a smoothie.
  • Options
    Miriams SisterMiriams Sister Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    How about Oatibix. They are practically the same as weetabix but wheat-free.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Scrambled egg with spring onion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about Oatibix. They are practically the same as weetabix but wheat-free.

I've been trying to get into them as I can't eat wheat, but honestly they're nothing like Weetabix. It's like eating a pillow, they're so dry!

I find porridge good, or a fruit smoothie with yogurt and some porridge oats. And peanut butter on oatcakes is pretty filling too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    minority wrote: »
    Better still drop the nutella and go with peanut butter (whole earth as it has no added sugar) and you get a good hit of protein to hold off hunger, pop it on wholemeal bread of course. This way you remove that nasty fast burning sugar and chocolate that in nutella that will make you hungry.

That's what I do.

I'd just heard nutella was energy releasing..actually, thinking about it, that might have been on a nutella advert:o.
  • Options
    XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    Thank you for all the suggestions. :) I've been trying a few of the them the past couple of days. I had scrambled egg on toast today, the toast seems not to irritate my stomach too much, and it filled me up till lunch. Job done. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xassy wrote: »
    Thank you for all the suggestions. :) I've been trying a few of the them the past couple of days. I had scrambled egg on toast today, the toast seems not to irritate my stomach too much, and it filled me up till lunch. Job done. ;)

If you want an even healthier option you could even poach your egg, I do that sometimes. I have this microwave egg poacher thing, which completely indulges my kitchen lazyittus.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,433
    Forum Member
    Scrambled egg with spring onion.

ahh nice :) I have scrambled egg in the morning, i'll add spring onion to it tomorrow :)