Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 14)

Comments

• Options
    lola14lola14 Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved watching the DC, so glad Spain won! I did feel for DP, at the end though! But not enough to want Rafa to lose! Rafa ever the gent, made sure he hugged DP, and all the Argentinan team.

I like the Spanish Royal Family. They always looks so happy when Spain win, and hug every player in sight! Somehow I don't see that happening here!
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tim Henman has just won the Masters at the Albert Hall.
    He is looking a bit older and a bit chubbier.
  • Options
    CoronisCoronis Posts: 24,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done to Delpo and Rafa, both played great tennis. I wanted Argentina to win and was gutted for Delpo.
  • Options
    Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All change for the Spanish DC team next year.

Rafa, David and Feli have said they will not be playing and I think Nando has said the same. Team likely to be led by Almagro on the playing front.

Rumours are that Costa will also be stepping down with Carlos Moya mooted as his replacement.

A great way for the guys to bow out - I think the Olympics have had a bearing on the timing of the departures of the players.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smude wrote: »
    Tim Henman has just won the Masters at the Albert Hall.
    He is looking a bit older and a bit chubbier.

i went off Tim Henman when him and Andrew Castle were making fun of Rafa's english at the o2 finals. At least he tries
  • Options
    lola14lola14 Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jacqui.b wrote: »
    i went off Tim Henman when him and Andrew Castle were making fun of Rafa's english at the o2 finals. At least he tries

I never was a fan of "Tiger Tim"! I wonder what his Spanish is like!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lola14 wrote: »
    I never was a fan of "Tiger Tim"! I wonder what his Spanish is like!

Exactly :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :) Well at least Greg is fluent in Spanish, which makes presentation ceremonies much better.

Loved yesterday's play. I really thought DelPo might take it to a 5th, but for Rafa's confidence I am so glad he won the tie. Spain have so much depth.

It was a bit funny turning over to the Aegeon event. Unlike lots of you, I admired Tim, he played far above his skill level during his career by dint of sheer hard work. He was never going to be a contender for a GS though could possibly have done more than one Masters. Still, it was good to see him relaxed with the lovely Stephen Edberg .

Shant watch any more tennis now until Aus, so maybe I can get Christmas rolling. :)
  • Options
    TennisFreak08TennisFreak08 Posts: 9,451
    Forum Member
    Congratulations to the Armada Boys on bagging yet another DC title. Heartbreaking for the Argies, though. Felt for Delpo, Nalby, Pico and Co. big time.
  • Options
    topcat2topcat2 Posts: 6,265
    Forum Member
    espec Nalby not many chances left :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Judy Murray is now fed cup captain!

Great move by the LTA.
    With robson,Watson on the rise and baltacha/keothavong now pulling their weight a bit the future looks bright!

Robson is going to be a quality player with judy's help
  • Options
    MakinItHappenMakinItHappen Posts: 1,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

More annoying female admirers :yawn:

Stick to boybands.

:yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Stick to boybands.

why because i didnt like someone making fun of the way another person spoke? I wouldnt have liked them making fun of the way anyone spoke not just because it was Nadal
  • Options
    skf1skf1 Posts: 7,857
    Forum Member
    http://www.tennischannel.com/news/NewsDetails.aspx?newsid=10078

Has anyone read this? Totally trying to get my head around it. Wait for more backlash!

Steph x
  • Options
    Drew_MDrew_M Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skf1 wrote: »

Has anyone read this? Totally trying to get my head around it. Wait for more backlash!

Steph x
    Pretty strong stuff, but I remember her previous outspoken comments (e.g., about Martina et al. ruining the sport, mentioned in the piece) from as far back as the early 1990s.

Interesting comments about the MCA...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Albion1984 wrote: »
    Judy Murray is now fed cup captain!

Great move by the LTA.
    With robson,Watson on the rise and baltacha/keothavong now pulling their weight a bit the future looks bright!

Robson is going to be a quality player with judy's help

Not sure about this appointment. I've listened to Judy Murray admit during commentary, at Wimbledon on 5live, that she doesn't really follow or know much about the women's game. Having sons' in the men's game should not be a qualification. I hope I'm wrong and she now mugs up.

Agree the women's game in GB is looking brighter.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Steph x

The homophobic old bigot opens her Dartford Tunnel of a mouth yet again.

I regard Rev Maggie very highly for her on court escapades, but would cross the road if she were coming the other way.

What a narrow-minded old windbag she is. :mad: It was bad enough when she first said all this back in the 90's - but here she is spouting the came old bile again.

What a hideous woman she is. She makes my blood boil! :mad:

Edit, Thank you for posting this Steph. I would not have seen it otherwise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The homophobic old bigot opens her Dartford Tunnel of a mouth yet again.

I regard Rev Maggie very highly for her on court escapades, but would cross the road if she were coming the other way.

What a narrow-minded old windbag she is. :mad: It was bad enough when she first said all this back in the 90's - but here she is spouting the same old bile again.

What a hideous woman she is. She makes my blood boil! :mad:

Edit, Thank you for posting this Steph. I would not have seen it otherwise.

In honesty I never knew anything about this. I was shocked watching tennis news. The article has been updated. Rennae Stubbs has came out and blasted her. We all know she is openly gay. I'm disgusted at someone I once had respect for. Totally gobsmacked! IT'S 2011 YOU STUPID WOMAN! Yes, she is entitled to an opinion JUST DON'T PREACH - but no way should her name be on that arena. I'm fuming.

Steph x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I hope this thread picks up when the new season starts. Not long till the AO, folks!
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    In honesty I never knew anything about this. I was shocked watching tennis news. The article has been updated. Rennae Stubbs has came out and blasted her. We all know she is openly gay. I'm disgusted at someone I once had respect for. Totally gobsmacked! IT'S 2011 YOU STUPID WOMAN! Yes, she is entitled to an opinion JUST DON'T PREACH - but no way should her name be on that arena. I'm fuming.

Steph x

She'll never change. From the time she said Martina Navratilova was a bad example for young girls because she was a lesbian - to this.

She preaches this antiquated old bile. They should re-name that arena the Rannae Stubbs Arena:)

Also, her autobiography is rubbish. I am totally biased, but I thought it was a load of rubbish. Nearly every page read like a religious sermon.

Having said all this - she is still one of the most ferocious tennis players that I have ever seen. Her legendary status has slipped though (for me anyway)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Stick to boybands.

But Rafa is just soooooo cute, with his little smile and powerful arms, I don't see how anyone can not think that he is super duper drop dead gorgeous
  • Options
    Forum Member
    vicky2424, what are your ''top-notch tennis predictions'' for next years Slams (men)? I think 2012 will be a repeat of 2011...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vicky2424, what are your ''top-notch tennis predictions'' for next years Slams (men)? I think 2012 will be a repeat of 2011...

id like to see Nadal back to his top form and Id also like to see Andy Murray win a major too.

I know im not Vicky but thought id join in :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She'll never change. From the time she said Martina Navratilova was a bad example for young girls because she was a lesbian - to this.

She preaches this antiquated old bile. They should re-name that arena the Rannae Stubbs Arena:)

Also, her autobiography is rubbish. I am totally biased, but I thought it was a load of rubbish. Nearly every page read like a religious sermon.

Having said all this - she is still one of the most ferocious tennis players that I have ever seen. Her legendary status has slipped though (for me anyway)

I can say - so glad I didn't read it! They are blasting her now. Steffi Graf posted on her twitter - 'It's the 21st century Margaret!' Andre Agassi posted on his - 'Yo Mags - I want an arena named after me' Rennae took it for me by calling her YOU STUPID WOMAN. Pete Sampras also tweeted. 'Not liking what I am hearing from Down Under - Is this the dark ages?'

I knew there would be backlash!

Steph x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    id like to see Nadal back to his top form and Id also like to see Andy Murray win a major too.

I know im not Vicky but thought id join in :)

Hiya, how are you? Nadal, Murray and Djokovic are my boys, my main three. Then there's Berdych, Verdasco and Gasquet. I want them all to win stuff, that's the trouble. Murray's problem is mental, isn't it? He cracks under pressure and then some. Enlisting a sports psychologist is surely the way forward but he's ruled it out. I think he's too proud, unfortunately.
This discussion has been closed.