Colonoscopy

XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
Forum Member
I'm having a colonoscopy on Thursday week. Basically, all they've told me is that I'll be given pethidine and midazolam for sedation. Oh, and the gastroenterologist said there's an 80% chance I'll remember nothing, 10% chance I'll feel slight discomfort and 10% chance I'll end up hating him forever! Although he was very reassuring, I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I could please hear from someone who's had the procedure themselves. Exactly how disgusting is the pre-colonoscopy bowel cleansing powder? Is it VERY effective (i.e. will I be sitting on the toilet all night long)? How much did you feel/do you remember? Afterwards, was there any discomfort? How long did you feel sedated/zombified for? Approximately how many needles can I expect to be poked into me?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• justascarecrowjustascarecrow Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Had 3 of these

First 2 - Had sedation and cant remember a thing about them. My only memory is throwing up on the way home due to the sedation.

Last one - Surgeon insisted that I had it without sedation and it was awful.

But you should be fine as you are getting sedation

The Fleet/Picolax or other laxative they give you is very powerful. Dont plan to go anywhere when you are taking it. Follow the diet and drink lots of water. Buy some baby wipes and keep them in the fridge - takes the edge of the sting of frequenting the loo!!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xassy wrote: »
    I'm having a colonoscopy on Thursday week. Basically, all they've told me is that I'll be given pethidine and midazolam for sedation. Oh, and the gastroenterologist said there's an 80% chance I'll remember nothing, 10% chance I'll feel slight discomfort and 10% chance I'll end up hating him forever! Although he was very reassuring, I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I could please hear from someone who's had the procedure themselves. Exactly how disgusting is the pre-colonoscopy bowel cleansing powder? Is it VERY effective (i.e. will I be sitting on the toilet all night long)? How much did you feel/do you remember? Afterwards, was there any discomfort? How long did you feel sedated/zombified for? Approximately how many needles can I expect to be poked into me?

Thanks in advance.

I had a colonoscopy a month ago and I was so worried about it, so firstly don't be -it wasn't as bad as I had feared.

The stuff I had to drink was called moviprep and it was foul, I really struggled getting it all down.

I was given the sedation but remembered everything that happened but I wasn't traumatic at all, I was chatting away to the Dr and the Nurses (not sure how much sense I was making though)

I didn't feel too zombified at all at the time and I did take it easy for the next 24 hours but I didn't feel much different from normal.

During the procedure there was only one bit I felt any sort of discomfort and it was when they were going round a corner but they did forewarn me and it wasn't bad at all.

I was full of wind afterwards for a few hours and it was a bit sore but it didn't last.

So try not to worry it's not as bad as I anticipated it to be - not at all - the procedure was totally painless and over really quick. I got a couple of biopsy things - didn't feel a thing.

Worst thing about it was trying to drink the manky preparation stuff and skooting to the toilet every 15 mins or so.

Oh, I just got one needle into the inside of my elbow - they put the sedation and painkillers in that.

ETA I made good use of some sudocreme the night before you know for the numerous trips to the toilet:o - helped loads no discomfort afterwards at all:o

All the best anyway:)
  • snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,083
    Forum Member
    some places advise a special diet beforehand ...its worth a google
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had one without sedation and one with. The sedation was better, although I do remember bits of it, I don't remember all of it. Neither of them were as bad as I expected. I was fascinated with the image of my insides on the video screen (I'm strange like that) the first time, and the second time I was sedated so I was just floating. They put one of those needles into my arm and then had me hooked up to a drip with the drugs in, from what I recall.

The prep is all a bit weird, the drink is not that nice, but bearable. The first time I was on the loo a lot, the second time just three or four times - err, get some vaseline in, though, your botty might get a bit sore ;).

It won't be the easiest couple of days of your life, but it's not that bad. After the sedation I came home and had about two hours' sleep and was fine after that.

Good luck! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My nan had a sigmoidoscopy which is similar but just for the lower part of the colon, whereas the colonoscopy is the upper part as well as the lower.

She was in a real state worrying about it, crying and everything all the time, it was such a shame :(

But it was fine, the picolax didn't work at first, she said, but by the afternoon of her starting taking it, it really took effect!

She said the staff were lovely, she had it without sedation and although she left her dignity at the door, she said it wasn't painful and she regretted being so upset and worried about it as the stress just wasn't worth it. It was all clear as well.

Good luck! Don't worry about it, you're having it done and that's that, no use stressing and I'm sure with the sedation it won't be half as bad as you imagine.
  • MissbegottenMissbegotten Posts: 1,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mother in law had it done and as she bent to put on her shoes in the waiting room she let rip with a tremendous, very loud and long-lasting fart!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    The prep for it is the worst part by far. Like others have said, don't plan to go anywhere too far from the toilet after you've taken it, because you'll be back and forth rather a lot!

I had sedation for the procedure and didn't feel overly drugged up or drowsy throughout or very much afterwards; guess it affects different people in different ways.

But yeah, don't worry about it at all, you'll be fine. :)
  • WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too had sedation. It wasn't too terrible overall, a wee bit uncomfy on insertion and when they pump you up it feels a bit like stomach cramp. They also took a biopsy while they were there, and although that didn't hurt it was a very odd sensation - a tugging, pulling, feeling inside as the little claw pulled a bit from my intestine wall. I can remember the whole procedure, but I can't remember what happened afterwards!
  • hobbeshobbes Posts: 6,149
    Forum Member
    I have had both ends and the endoscopy was actually more unpleasent. Apart from the undignity of lying sideways with a camera up your bum it is fine. I was sedated so just felt drowsy and floaty like I wasn't really there if that makes sense.

I took the Picolax at home and was convinced at first it wasn't working.....then it did and went on working for a while. It is controllable though not like having a horrid upset tummy.
  • KaliMistKaliMist Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member
    I've had two colonoscopys, both times under sedation.

The Picolax isn't really that bad, it took a few hours to work on me and as hobbes said it is controllable, you aren't constantly on the toilet with with horrendous diarrhea, well I wasn't. I had to fast from 12.00pm the day before my procedure, and I was only allowed to drink water.

While getting the colonoscopy I remember waking up twice but I think it was only for a few seconds at a time, I did feel an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach, I wouldn't say it was agony though, then I fell back under sedation. One IV drip in the arm to administer the sedation was all I had, no other jags.

The most embarrassing bit was waking up from the sedation and laughing hysterically and talking nonsense to myself while my bed was getting wheeled back to my ward. Also the air they inflate you with starts to escape to it sounds like you are farting... a lot.

Good luck.
  • ScrolllockScrolllock Posts: 4,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had 3 of these

First 2 - Had sedation and cant remember a thing about them. My only memory is throwing up on the way home due to the sedation.

Last one - Surgeon insisted that I had it without sedation and it was awful.

But you should be fine as you are getting sedation

The Fleet/Picolax or other laxative they give you is very powerful. Dont plan to go anywhere when you are taking it. Follow the diet and drink lots of water. Buy some baby wipes and keep them in the fridge - takes the edge of the sting of frequenting the loo!!

Use petroleum jelly in that area and you will not get sore.
  • XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    Thanks guys for all the information. :) I'm not ridiculously nervous but I did want to know all the details to be prepared. I was told to take the prep after lunch (the day before) and then not eat until after the colonoscopy. I'm assuming I'll be fine for work the day after the procedure, I really don't want to take 2 days off.